• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MLB Season Thread

Shouldn't you have had solidified rooting interests before then...before the axis of evil?;)

I'm sure you already know I grew up a Royals fan and still am. Geographically, it was the logical choice. Also, I attended a lot of Omaha Royals games ... some KC games ... and attended their caravan when they came through Lincoln each winter.

Then I moved to Minneapolis at age 23 ... for four years ... hated the Twins (for obvious reasons) ... but attended a lot of games at the Metrodome, as it was an easy ticket. Didn't care at all for the Vikes. Liked the T'Wolves quite a bit -- especially due to KG -- but have mostly fallen out of love (not completely).

Then I moved to So Cal for my late-20s to 30 ... went to several Padres and Angels games ... enjoyed watching the Angels because of Erstad ... but no other rooting interest, as they were still in conflict with my Royals, being an AL team. And the Padres bored me ... and their ballpark sucked. I will always hate the Dodgers (only the Yankees do I hate more).

Philadelphia is simply an awesome sports city. It's total love-hate. You either will latch on and fall in love -- or be sick to your stomach daily. But that is -- by far -- the most passionate sports city I've ever lived in or near. And I respect the heck out of that. So Cal sports fans are pathetic. Minneapolis fans whine all the damn time -- if they even care (and really care most about hockey, which they were without an NHL team when I lived there -- and were extremely bitter about that).

For me in Philly with their sports teams, it was "holy sh this is a blast!" And the Phillies didn't conflict with my Royals. And I never really had an NFL team I cared deeply about before (I never felt a huge need for one as a Husker fan, growing up in Lincoln)... and Iverson was hugely entertaining to watch with the Sixers ... and it's the only time I've ever gotten into hockey, and had connections for seats directly behind the glass and goal.

I'm definitely one who has to have some sort of geographic connection before I can love a team. I need to live in or near the action and get a true sense of being surrounded by the fan base. I've never been interested in a team because of a relative or because I can see them on TV all the time. I need to -- at some point in my life -- be immersed. But there's a good chance -- like Minnesota and So Cal -- when it won't matter. Same thing in Texas. The only team I like a bit in this state is the Spurs. So there's no automatic with me -- live there and fall in love. But with Philadelphia, it was love at first sight (grab a tissue if you need to).

Last edited:
I'm sure you already know I grew up a Royals fan and still am. Geographically, it was the logical choice. Also, I attended a lot of Omaha Royals games ... some KC games ... and attended their caravan when they came through Lincoln each winter.

Then I moved to Minneapolis at age 23 ... for four years ... hated the Twins (for obvious reasons) ... but attended a lot of games at the Metrodome, as it was an easy ticket. Didn't care at all for the Vikes. Liked the T'Wolves quite a bit -- especially due to KG -- but have mostly fallen out of love (not completely).

Then I moved to So Cal for my late-20s to 30 ... went to several Padres and Angels games ... enjoyed watching the Angels because of Erstad ... but no other rooting interest, as they were still in conflict with my Royals, being an AL team. And the Padres bored me ... and their ballpark sucked. I will always hate the Dodgers (only the Yankees do I hate more).

Philadelphia is simply an awesome sports city. It's total love-hate. You either will latch on and fall in love -- or be sick to your stomach daily. But that is -- by far -- the most passionate sports city I've ever lived in or near. And I respect the heck out of that. So Cal sports fans are pathetic. Minneapolis fans whine all the damn time -- if they even care (and really care most about hockey, which they were without an NHL team when I lived there -- and were extremely bitter about that).

For me in Philly with their sports teams, it was "holy sh this is a blast!" And the Phillies didn't conflict with my Royals. And I never really had an NFL team I cared deeply about before (I never felt a huge need for one as a Husker fan, growing up in Lincoln)... and Iverson was hugely entertaining to watch with the Sixers ... and it's the only time I've ever gotten into hockey, and had connections for seats directly behind the glass and goal.

I'm definitely one who has to have some sort of geographic connection before I can love a team. I need to live in or near the action and get a true sense of being surrounded by the fan base. I've never been interested in a team because of a relative or because I can see them on TV all the time. I need to -- at some point in my life -- be immersed. But there's a good chance -- like Minnesota and So Cal -- when it won't matter. Same thing in Texas. The only team I like a bit in this state is the Spurs. So there's no automatic with me -- live there and fall in love. But with Philadelphia, it was love at first sight (grab a tissue if you need to).
No issue with the Phillies as a Royal fan???

1980 ring a bell? Yes, I hold some grudges. :p

The Braves continue to keep winning sooner than I (most)thought they would. They have multiple All-Stars and Freeman is firmly in the MVP race. This has led me to getting MLB.TV.
I just love the fact that even when Freddie, Ozzie, or Markakis have down nights, someone else seems to step up. Lot of season left to play obviously, but things are sure looking good.

I think the Braves and Phillies are both young and talented and will likely both be a force in the National League in years to come.

Phillies finally won a series today. First since taking 2 of 3 against the Braves in late-May.

It's been a brutal schedule for Philly ... and will continue to be ... zero easy opponents ...

Most recent:
@Dodgers
@Giants
@Cubs
Brewers
Rockies

Next up:
@Brewers
Cardinals
@Nationals
Yankees
Nationals

"Worst" team in that stretch was/is Colorado .. who came into the series a game above .500.

The Braves continue to keep winning sooner than I (most)thought they would. They have multiple All-Stars and Freeman is firmly in the MVP race. This has led me to getting MLB.TV.

Braves definitely have a bright future. Unfortunately for them this year, the Nationals are starting to get healthy. Rendon and Adams are now healthy. Murphy and Eaton just came back. Zimmerman is beginning rehab. Strasburg, Kitzler, and Hellickson are on their way back. I don’t think any MLB team the past decade has had the injury plague the Nats have the past two years.

I think everyone wants to bury the Nats once Harper leaves later this year. I think that’s premature. Their starting pitching is powerful enough to take a team of minor league hitters to 80+ wins in a rebuild. Juan Soto is 19 and he’s been tearing it up, beat the Yankees in New York single-handily...and he’s their #2 prospect.

Personally, I think the Braves and Nationals are going to be in some crazy pennant races the next 5 years.

Braves definitely have a bright future. Unfortunately for them this year, the Nationals are starting to get healthy. Rendon and Adams are now healthy. Murphy and Eaton just came back. Zimmerman is beginning rehab. Strasburg, Kitzler, and Hellickson are on their way back. I don’t think any MLB team the past decade has had the injury plague the Nats have the past two years.

I think everyone wants to bury the Nats once Harper leaves later this year. I think that’s premature. Their starting pitching is powerful enough to take a team of minor league hitters to 80+ wins in a rebuild. Juan Soto is 19 and he’s been tearing it up, beat the Yankees in New York single-handily...and he’s their #2 prospect.

Personally, I think the Braves and Nationals are going to be in some crazy pennant races the next 5 years.
I really can't find a reason why the Nats don't run away with the National this year. Especially with Soto now also on the scene and the Dodgers underperforming.

But they aren't.

And don't sleep on the Brewers.

I do very much believe the Nats are the team to beat in the division this season. Experienced talent has huge value over the long haul. And yes, as you mentioned, those returning from injury.

I think you are incorrect by leaving the Phillies unmentioned. Philly is only 3.5 out -- and has played a more difficult schedule since taking 2 of 3 from the Braves 3 weeks ago. ATL hasn't been overly impressive since ... lost a series at Boston (understandable) ... split a series at home against the Mets ... won a series at home against the Nats (impressive) ... lost a series to the lowly Padres ... lost a series to the Dodgers ... won a 2-game series against the Mets (again at home..okay). Unfortunately for the non-Braves fans, they continue with a relatively easy schedule ... next four ... Padres, @Jays, Orioles, Reds. At some point, they'll have a string of much more difficult opponents.

Again, compare that to Philly's schedule over that same stretch:

Most recent:
@Dodgers
@Giants
@Cubs
Brewers
Rockies

Next up:
@Brewers
Cardinals
@Nationals
Yankees
Nationals

The Braves had/will have 7 series with teams with worse records than any Philly has/will face over that same period. Over 162 games, it's bound to get more difficult and balance out. For now, the Braves are quite fortunate and need to keep winning before that schedule turns difficult. Philly, on the other hand, will see a much easier schedule in July. It's a long, long season.

I really can't find a reason why the Nats don't run away with the National this year. Especially with Soto now also on the scene and the Dodgers underperforming.

But they aren't.

And don't sleep on the Brewers.

I don't believe any team has underachieved more than the Nats over the past 5-6 seasons. They have yet to even appear in an NLCS.

The Brew Crew is a great story -- but that's one helluva division. The Cubs actually have the best run differential in all of the NL.

MLB rosters, sorted by age. Phillies have the 3rd youngest average age -- and are right in the thick of it. Might be tough for them to make the playoffs this year ... a lot of youth for the long haul ... (certainly in the hunt, however -- don't count them out) ... but a bright future indeed (as with the Braves, who are also younger than average).

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/rosters?sort=average_age&order=true&redirected=true

Last edited:

I don't believe any team has underachieved more than the Nats over the past 5-6 seasons. They have yet to even appear in an NLCS.

The Brew Crew is a great story -- but that's one helluva division. The Cubs actually have the best run differential in all of the NL.
Without a doubt about the Nats underachieving.

The Brewers get Jimmy Nelson back in a month and if he can regain form, that will be another great arm in their rotation.

Cubs should watch out for the Brewers, that’s an excellent way or piecing together a competitive roster. Pitching might bite them after the all-star break.

Nationals have underachieved. I think injuries were a legitimate excuse last year, but two years ago, they choked with the best team in the MLB but the bullpen hurt them. It’s hard to win a title though and you have to be hot with elite pitching to win. The elite pitching is there, this year the window is closing, they have to go all-in. I fully expect them to acquire a hired gun at the trade deadline.

Cubs should watch out for the Brewers, that’s an excellent way or piecing together a competitive roster. Pitching might bite them after the all-star break.

Nationals have underachieved. I think injuries were a legitimate excuse last year, but two years ago, they choked with the best team in the MLB but the bullpen hurt them. It’s hard to win a title though and you have to be hot with elite pitching to win. The elite pitching is there, this year the window is closing, they have to go all-in. I fully expect them to acquire a hired gun at the trade deadline.

I still think the Astros are the team to beat in MLB this season.

But amazingly, the Mariners are 20 games over .500 and tied with Houston in the division!

20 games over with a run differential of +27. While Houston's run differential is +145 (best in baseball). That tells me Seattle is winning with smoke and mirrors to some extent.

The season Verlander is having is insane! And add in Gerrit Cole's success ....!!!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back