• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MLB Season Thread

I still think the Astros are the team to beat in MLB this season.

But amazingly, the Mariners are 20 games over .500 and tied with Houston in the division!

20 games over with a run differential of +27. While Houston's run differential is +145 (best in baseball). That tells me Seattle is winning with smoke and mirrors to some extent.

The season Verlander is having is insane! And add in Gerrit Cole's success ....!!!

Agreed. Astros will be damn scary until they have to pay those young guys what they are worth.

I do very much believe the Nats are the team to beat in the division this season. Experienced talent has huge value over the long haul. And yes, as you mentioned, those returning from injury.

I think you are incorrect by leaving the Phillies unmentioned. Philly is only 3.5 out -- and has played a more difficult schedule since taking 2 of 3 from the Braves 3 weeks ago. ATL hasn't been overly impressive since ... lost a series at Boston (understandable) ... split a series at home against the Mets ... won a series at home against the Nats (impressive) ... lost a series to the lowly Padres ... lost a series to the Dodgers ... won a 2-game series against the Mets (again at home..okay). Unfortunately for the non-Braves fans, they continue with a relatively easy schedule ... next four ... Padres, @Jays, Orioles, Reds. At some point, they'll have a string of much more difficult opponents.

Again, compare that to Philly's schedule over that same stretch:

Most recent:
@Dodgers
@Giants
@Cubs
Brewers
Rockies

Next up:
@Brewers
Cardinals
@Nationals
Yankees
Nationals

The Braves had/will have 7 series with teams with worse records than any Philly has/will face over that same period. Over 162 games, it's bound to get more difficult and balance out. For now, the Braves are quite fortunate and need to keep winning before that schedule turns difficult. Philly, on the other hand, will see a much easier schedule in July. It's a long, long season.
The Braves schedule was front loaded with the most difficult stretch to start the season. A few weeks ago that was the reason that so many were so impressed they had won quite a few games thru the hardest part of the schedule and the road looked considerably easier going forward. My concern is that youth will eventually give way to experience as is so often the case and the Bravos fall flat over a few series.

The Braves schedule was front loaded with the most difficult stretch to start the season. A few weeks ago that was the reason that so many were so impressed they had won quite a few games thru the hardest part of the schedule and the road looked considerably easier going forward. My concern is that youth will eventually give way to experience as is so often the case and the Bravos fall flat over a few series.

I agree.

Much more difficult early than it has been for the late-May through June period.

I don't think the Braves have taken advantage of the easier stretch as much as they should have -- and that might bite them in July-August.

Long road.

Outstanding night for the Phillies!

Took game one of a three game series at Washington. 12-2!

Phillies have been hot recently -- even with what continues to be a brutally difficult schedule (next up are the Yanks then another series with the Nats).

Speaking of hot ... I doubt any player in baseball has been hotter than Odubel Herrera over the past week.

Homered in his 5th straight game tonight (and 6 of the past 7).

13 of 22 in the past five, including the 5 homers and 10 runs scored.

The Fightin' Phils continue to roll!

Beat Washington again this afternoon to already wrap up another series win. That's four straight ... Rockies, Brewers, Cardinals, Nationals. And winners of 9 of their last 12!

The Phillies tagged 2 runs on Kelvin Herrera that served as the winning margin.

Meanwhile, the Braves lost for the second straight day to the Orioles -- with Baltimore coming into this series in Atlanta with the worst record in baseball. I'll take that!

Philadelphia is now in 2nd place in the NL East -- and only 1.5 games behind the Braves.

Last edited:
Bryce Harper is having what would be a horrible month for an average MLB player. Actually, other than hitting a bunch of homeruns in April and May, he's generally been pathetic all season.

Last edited:

Bryce Harper is having what would be a horrible month for an average MLB player. Actually, other than hitting a bunch of homeruns in April and May, he's generally been pathetic all season.
Bryce Harper is my least favorite player. Although the Phils are on the Braves heals any loss for the Nats is fine by me as they will be a tough out when fully healthy. The Braves have disappointed against two sub .500 clubs. A good bullpen is something you take for granted until they start leaking walks and runs like sieve.

He is having a poor season. He’s going to have to have a reality check on the pay day he thinks he’s going to get at the end of the year. He’d be better off signing a one year deal with the Nats and trying to put up monster numbers in 2019. He’s got to get back to going oppo and everything will open up for him.

Phillies took three of four from the Nats. Opened up some breathing room in the standings.

The Braves were impressive -- sweeping the Cards in STL. Now, they travel to face the Yanks.

Phillies took three of four from the Nats. Opened up some breathing room in the standings.

The Braves were impressive -- sweeping the Cards in STL. Now, they travel to face the Yanks.

Phillies got the rotation and the Braves have the lineup. Nationals have both and a bullpen but can’t put it together. We will see what happens, if the Nats don’t take the lead in the first 10/12 games after the break, it’s going to get interesting because one of those two teams isn’t going anywhere.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back