• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mitch Sherman Tallies the Transfers of Big Ten West Teams

Question for you guys that follow things closer. I'm under the impression that we utilize the walk-on program more than other teams and may have more walk-ons on the roster.

If that's true, what is the breakdown of just scholarship recruits transferring in the league?

It might be a dumb question but I could see where having a larger pool of walk-ons could skew the transfer numbers.

@HuskerNash

Give me a moment and I’ll get the links. It is shocking!

props go to @dwc13 for digging this up. We are not even in the top 10 yet arguably have more difficulty recruiting because we have to go ”national”

plus we “offer” more official offers than other schools:

the 2018 to 2022 recruiting classes (L-R, inclusive), the number of offers for select programs:

Nebraska 277, 423, 443, 392, 301
Illinois 242, 200, 214, 196, 301
Iowa 128, 138, 131, 115, 61
Minnesota 263, 305, 265, 242, 123
Northwestern 79, 104, 70, 112, 33
Purdue 312, 290, 363, 236, 86
Wisconsin 216, 157, 152, 125, 50
Indiana 341, 372, 368, 382, 194
Michigan State 237, 209, 206, 293, 245
Ohio State 170, 203, 208, 167, 90
Iowa State 412, 343, 279, 280, 171
Kansas 213, 214, 367, 456, 345
Kansas State 132, 140, 240, 180, 100
Oklahoma State 136, 116, 148, 138, 105
West Virginia 288, 236, 353, 397, 280
Colorado 212, 223, 316, 296, 210
Utah 218, 238, 229, 215, 117
Kentucky 356, 406, 413, 390, 282
Wyoming (Group of 5) 111, 119, 126, 105, 1
Boise State (Group of 5) 127, 93, 112, 136, 17

An Analysis Of College Football Recruiting Costs (athleticdirectoru.com)

College football recruiting costs: Power Five schools takeaways (courier-journal.com)

How much each Power 5 school spends on recruiting (footballscoop.com)

College football recruiting costs are skyrocketing at alarming rate (usatoday.com)
Chicken and the egg a little bit though. I get we recruit more national than anyone, but we are only behind Penn State and Michigan in conference (I assume Ohio State as well). We are 11th in the country for spend. The other end of the spectrum is Iowa spends way less than us, Wisconsin even less than that, but they get results on the field and Wisky is getting results on the recruiting trail.

I don't think it's what we spend, it's how we allocate the resources we have. Just my opinion.

Chicken and the egg a little bit though. I get we recruit more national than anyone, but we are only behind Penn State and Michigan in conference (I assume Ohio State as well). We are 11th in the country for spend. The other end of the spectrum is Iowa spends way less than us, Wisconsin even less than that, but they get results on the field and Wisky is getting results on the recruiting trail.

I don't think it's what we spend, it's how we allocate the resources we have. Just my opinion.
I saw somewhere that Nebraska may be tops in the country or at least close to it in terms of distance traveled per signed recruit. I think that plays a big factor in our vetting, communication, and retention.

I saw somewhere that Nebraska may be tops in the country or at least close to it in terms of distance traveled per signed recruit. I think that plays a big factor in our vetting, communication, and retention.
Yep, there was an article written on it. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Can't find it. Sorry.

Last edited:

You could be right.

but it seems to me we have been pursuing the same path with this current amount through two coaching staffs with about the same results...Top 25 rated classes most of the time that translates to no improvement or even regression on the field.

and to just lay it on the feet of the coaches, organization and staff to “do better”...get better organized”...”make fewer more focused offers”. Seems simplistic and while it may be part of the issue .....it might not.

and now we have a whole new ballgame that has entered the fray....the transfer portal...which is going to require successful monitoring and mining...and we have emerging anti Nebraska social media....AND unlike many of the schools who spend top dollar...we have to recruit nation wide.

but we don’t want to provide additional resources because of this?

and the thing of it is...it is NOT that much more money in the big scheme of things to a financially successful program such as ours. 1.5 Mil more buys a whole new department set up inside your recruiting to monitor and mine the transfer portal. And to “vet better” our offers...two challenges that face us.

I don’t know what the right answer is...but same old...same old ain’t working and will work even less in the future.

You could be right.

but it seems to me we have been pursuing the same path with this current amount through two coaching staffs with about the same results...Top 25 rated classes most of the time that translates to no improvement or even regression on the field.

and to just lay it on the feet of the coaches, organization and staff to “do better”...get better organized”...”make fewer more focused offers”. Seems simplistic and while it may be part of the issue .....it might not.

and now we have a whole new ballgame that has entered the fray....the transfer portal...which is going to require successful monitoring and mining...and we have emerging anti Nebraska social media....AND unlike many of the schools who spend top dollar...we have to recruit nation wide.

but we don’t want to provide additional resources because of this?

and the thing of it is...it is NOT that much more money in the big scheme of things to a financially successful program such as ours. 1.5 Mil more buys a whole new department set up inside your recruiting to monitor and mine the transfer portal. And to “vet better” our offers...two challenges that face us.

I don’t know what the right answer is...but same old...same old ain’t working and will work even less in the future.
Nope, you are spot on. And let's be honest, more money towards it will help so i'm not trying to say we are spending "enough" whatever "enough" is. I'll go back through what I know:

- Bo had one maybe two guys helping with recruiting. He went to Eichorst and asked for two more and was told no. Jamrog then did a powerpoint presentation to boosters about hwo long it takes them to go see a kid from Michigan (making up the place). He stated with them having to leave out of Omaha so leaving Lincoln 2 hours early, then many times needing a connection, then needing to rent a car and get to where the player is if it wasn't in a major metropolitan area with an airport, it would be noon or later before seeing the recruit. Conversely, an SEC team with a private charter the coach could get there when he wanted, board the plane in 5 minutes, land at the nearest airport (not necessarily just Detroit). Get his car and he's seeing the recruit by 9AM in some instances. The wasted time was huge. Essentially those all got shut down.

- We hire Riley and double his support staff. Bo had access to private charters but not nearly enough. On off weeks they were flying commercial to recruit. Terry Joseph was furious, it was kind of funny.

- Getting back to allocating correctly, McShane on Riley's recruiting staff was a machine. He basically would hand out sheets of who he talked to and who was expecting calls or DMs from the staff right after practice. The staff could just go down the list. He also had on there new recruits that he found that needed to have HUDL film watched by the coaches. Conversely, if you remember how mad we all got when Els was recruiting coordinator, special teams coordinator, and LB coach, the one day after the game before the bye week he didn't know where all the coaches would be heading to. I understand that, putting a special teams gameplan together for the game and winning was priority 1.

- I think Frosts staff leans more towards Pelini side of recruiting. If we can button that up and get more "McShanes" where they are organized and taking care of evrything behind the scenes. That's step 1. Then we up the budget. I read that between September and first signing day Georgia spent around 800k on private charters alone. That's not even counting evaluation period in the spring.

Get organized, then beef up the private plane usage. I think getting a better hold on local recruits will help us not be as thin as well.

Yep, there was an article written on it. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Can't find it. Sorry.
Pretty sure it was closing in on 1000 miles per recruit and way higher than our division rivals that are performing better than us. It tells me a couple of things: We are going to have more attrition issues with kids that far from home, you can't vet nearly as well, and just maybe these local kids in the farmland are a bit undervalued by the recruiting services.

What are Nebraska coaches selling to these recruits who eventually leave the program? There seems to be a disconnect somewhere when they arrive on campus? Something on the inside not measuring up to what they were told. Not good optics, for sure!

I would like to see walkons, as weve had some very good walkons come in, and some very good walkons leave for playing time elsewhere.
I think the leaving has been high, I would like to see our past, before the portal, when leaving was a much more costly experience, yet, I would bet,we still led most teams.
Like they say in business, location location location.

Whats funny about all this is, I bet the other teams with higher transfers are teams loaded with nearby talent as well.
I think this is getting addressed, but it wont 'fix' the problem,because we have always lost more than the norm, and theres one other thing, the way we recruit.

The top ranked teams ( as far as number of transfers) are the bottom ranked teams in the B1G. No surprise there.

Last edited:

Totally and completely out of control. When you look at the percentage increase since 2013 it's outrageous that much money is spent chasing around high school kids. No way is this sustainable except for a select few athletic departments imo. College football will either come to it's senses or eventually crash and burn.
It almost matches the insanity of offering coaches way too much money with way too long of contracts (this is in reference to all schools and coaches and purely my beliefs). The rest of my post delves into some economic ideas that would require entry into hot topics type of reasoning.

Yep but we make twice the ”offers”

And I’m not sure we want to compare ourselves to “just” the Big 10 West

We ”say” we want to be a top 10 team...yet don’t want to spend what the really successful programs do.

seems problematic to me.....

my point is that we will drop 155 mil on a ”new facility” in a heartbeat but won’t spend an extra million to ensure we have the best we can.....MANNING that facility!

Especially since we make twice the offers that most schools do.

Especially since we have to recruit nationally

Especially since the easiness of the transfer portal has made it even more important to truly vet players to try to find the kids that will “stick.”

Especially since recruiting departments are going to have to adjust and set up extra resources to monitor and mine this “new reality“ in the transfer portal.
Interesting on the twice amount-but recruiting Lincoln isn't easy-my view. It is in a corn field with nothing to do (The pervasive feeling of some). There are no direct flights i see except from Chicago and Denver. why go to UN? They'll just continue to fire their coaches and you won't know who you will play for.
Look at Iowa's numbers-maybe Ferentz is onto something-offer the kids you want to develop and if they take an official visit to some other school after committing pull the offer. (guess he still does that).
Anyway, let schools do what they want, each has it's own unique circumstances. S

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back