• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Minority representation

Boy of the Corn

Recruit
2 Year Member
What is everyones thoughts on the link from the home page? Red reign let me know if this needs moved to hot topics but since it was on home page and directly ties to our athletes I hoped it would be ok.

What is everyones thoughts on the link from the home page? Red reign let me know if this needs moved to hot topics but since it was on home page and directly ties to our athletes I hoped it would be ok.
I think we owe it to our athletes to hire the best person available at every single position with race, gender, and sexual orientation not being a determining factor.

What are their thoughts on starting to play winning football and posting at least a .500 record once in awhile?

What is the “best person available”? In many cases, that might not be easily defined and maybe what the administration is looking for is not what the athletes are looking for?

I guess it is in the eye of the beholder

I think it is a positive that our athletes are aware of what is going on around them and trying to achieve a worthy goal of a staff as diverse as the athletes. Recruiting minorities as student athletes implies that you will have an effective support system for them in place. How better to know if you succeed than getting feedback like this from some of the athletes.

I'm a fan and an alum. I've always been proud our program tries to benefit the athletes as whole people, not just for their athletic skills. I can imagine there are a lot of things that could be looked at that would improve the atmosphere and environment for athletes of color.

Now is a good time for the admin and athletic department to work with these students and find good ways to do that.

Last edited:

If we're going to have an honest conversation about this, what are the demographics of NU? That has to at least be somewhat of a factor in the minority representation in the athletic department.
Is the overall NU demographic relevant in this case? Does the assistant AD in charge of academic success (or whatever the title is) interact with your average non-athlete student?

Is the overall NU demographic relevant in this case? Does the assistant AD in charge of academic success (or whatever the title is) interact with your average non-athlete student?

I'm saying the pool of candidates for these jobs generally comes from alums and the local population. So yeah, I do think it's a factor. It's not the only factor, and maybe NU does need to do a better job recruiting the minority pools of candidates.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back