• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Minnesota v. NU--October 6, 2018

I am not worried about any volleyball players transferring to Oregon State or any other school this week because their feelings are hurt because they lost tonight!! :thumbsup:

Coach Cook and the players will work hard to get ready for their next match.

Last edited:

I observed this match in a bass ackwards way. My intent was to watch the volleyball match over the football game (I know…..sacrilege) on NET or BTN2go since I have BTN on my YouTube TV subscription. Unfortunately, I was unable to access the volleyball match by either method so I ended up watching the football game and keeping an eye on the live stats for the volleyball match.

First time I checked in on the live stats, Minnesota had won the first set, but Nebraska was ahead 10-8 in the second. The second time I checked the Huskers had won the 2nd set 25-23 and it was a 1-1 match.

Then the Nebraska football offense started to click and I got distracted. The football team had actually pulled within 34-17 and forced a Wisconsin punt. Unfortunately Nebraska wasn’t able to take advantage and punted back to Wiskey, but the walk-on punter for Big Red pinned the Badgers at their 12. On the very next play, with the effort and execution reminiscent of a Bob Diaco defense, Nebraska defenders let Johnathan Taylor sprint past them for an 88 yard touchdown run

I know this is a volleyball forum but an editorial note on the Nebraska offensive line. It is apparent to me that the offensive line has a sixth sense. They displayed an uncanny ability to sense when a big play was going to happen, and then negate it by a holding, hands to the face, or block in the back penalty. It was simply amazing. It happened with such precision, it couldn’t have been a coincidence.

Disgusted, I turned off the TV and went back to the live stats for the volleyball match. Much to my dismay I found the Minnesota had won the match 3-1. When I looked initially at the live stats, 3 things jumped out. The third set score of 14-25 made me pause. As well as this team plays defense, and with the offensive firepower it has, it surprised me that Big Red could be held to 14 points. The second was 6 service errors to only 1 ace. With all the servers on this team, how did that happen? And the third item was only 2 blocks for the entire 4 set match. I knew Minnesota liked to play fast of offense, but was their All-American setter Seliger-Swenson that good at setting quick kills that the Husker block couldn’t respond?

So today (Sunday), I went back and listened to the radio call (I was in a foul mood the rest of Saturday evening) in hopes to find answers.

It should be noted that Minnesota came into the match unbeaten in B1G play at 5-0 without having lost a set. This included sweeps of Penn State and, more impressively, total domination of a good Wisconsin team. They are a hot commodity.

The blocking answer became evident as it became apparent the live stats were a truncated version of the official stats. The block stats on the live stats were solo blocks only. The final block stats were 11 to 7 in favor of the Huskers, which is not out of line with recent performances.

However, the remainder of the items were not live vs. official statistical anomalies. The service game was not very good. Some of it was Minnesota doing an excellent job of digging and passing, most of it was the Huskers as a group were inexplicably tentative. Cook even made the point in the post game presser that Nebraska was ‘serving lollipops.’ The service game did not stress Minnesota to any degree. Having only 1 service ace is obviously a season match low, and the tentative nature of the “first contact” on the offensive side of the ball infected “first contact” on the defensive side also. In particular, Densburger and Foecke had subpar digging and passing performances.

Offensively, out of the Four Horseman of the Volleyball Apocalypse, only Sweet hit below .200. The distribution to the outsides and the right side hitter was pretty even, but the middles, again, got substantially less swings than the other 3 prongs of the offense. The Nebraska middles got 11 kills, compared to the Minnesota middles that got over 20 kills. Big difference. Stivrins had 10 kills, but Schwarzenbach was largely invisible on the offensive side.

The final anomaly, the third set blow out, was mainly due to an exaggeration of the flaws (service, digging, and passing) mentioned above. It was close for the first part of set, 11 – 12 at one point, when the proverbial wheels came off, and bad passes & unforced errors ruled the day. The maroon and gold ran off an 11 point run in that 3rd set to embarrass the Huskers. The Big Red never really recovered from that episodic venture into bad volleyball.

Not the Huskers finest performance, and substantially worse than the Illinois match (at least according to the radio announcers). Foecke, in particular, had an off night. It wasn’t reflected in her offensive numbers, but it was revealed in her service game, digging, and passing. It was bad enough that Foecke had to be subbed out in the 3rd. Easily Mickela’s worst match this season (even worse than Florida).

Sooooooo………….they commented on the radio that a bug had been spreading through the team. Maloney, in her post match presser, clearly had a cold. Not to spread any conspiracy theories, but I wonder if Foecke was at 100% tonight. Based on her past performances, my intuition says SOMETHING was wrong with her, and I doubt it was a case of nerves.

Regardless of whether Foecke was sick or not, the reality is that the Huskers got punched and they didn’t respond well. They also didn’t bring their A game to a big match like they did against Illinois. That’s the bad news. The good news is that it is only one loss, and the Huskers still control their own destiny in winning the B1G albeit THAT task just got immeasurably tougher, particularly with the upcoming schedule. The other good news is that this team has a higher ceiling than last year’s team or even Minnesota’s , but consistency is lacking.

In other B1G action, Michigan had a good week by beating No.14 ranked Purdue in straight sets and Indiana in 5. The Cult that is Penn State avenged the early conference loss to Ohio State by beating the Buckeyes in straight sets at Cultist Valley. Wisconsin won twice including defeating nationally ranked Illinois earlier in the week.

Nationally, the HUGE news out of the West Coast Conference was that a team in the conference actually took a set from BYU. And it was my favorite overranked team, the Toreros of San Diego, who pushed the Cougars to four sets. No doubt the west coast volleyball coaches that participate in the AVCA poll will rank the 7 win 9 loss Toreros in the top 10, even though they lost earlier in the week to San Diego State in straights.

Stanford beat Utah in 4 on Friday, and play Colorado today. UT@SUCKS won both matches, but were pushed to 5 sets at TCU. Pittsburgh beat Syracuse in 4 handing the Orange their first conference loss. They play Boston College today.

What I would like to see in the top 10 is Minnesota, Nebraska, and Wisconsin move into the top 5 and drop the Shorthorns to 6. What I think will happen is that UT@SUCKS will move up to 3, Minnesota at 4, Nebraska 5, and Wisconsin 6. Pittsburgh will likely move up to the 7th position, followed by Illinois, Penn State, and Creighton. I don’t think the Illini will drop below The Cultists.

11 thru 25 is again dependent on Sunday PAC-12 play. The Arizona schools are already off to an auspicious start by losing to the Washington schools on Friday after dumping both Oregon schools the previous weekend. The Sun Devils and Wildcats finish hosting the Washington schools today. Of the B1G teams, Michigan should move up, and I don’t think Purdue will fall outside the top 16.

Next up for the Fightin’ Schwarzenbachs are the Hoosiers of Indiana. The Hoosiers dropped a pair of 5 setters to the Michigan Schools on the road. Indiana is currently 2-4 in conference play and 11-6 overall. 3 of the 4 conference losses have been in 5 sets. Nebraska needs to correct itself in a big way against Indiana since the 3 following matches are @ The Cultists, @ Wisconsin, and @ Minnesota.

I observed this match in a bass ackwards way. My intent was to watch the volleyball match over the football game (I know…..sacrilege) on NET or BTN2go since I have BTN on my YouTube TV subscription. Unfortunately, I was unable to access the volleyball match by either method so I ended up watching the football game and keeping an eye on the live stats for the volleyball match.

First time I checked in on the live stats, Minnesota had won the first set, but Nebraska was ahead 10-8 in the second. The second time I checked the Huskers had won the 2nd set 25-23 and it was a 1-1 match.

Then the Nebraska football offense started to click and I got distracted. The football team had actually pulled within 34-17 and forced a Wisconsin punt. Unfortunately Nebraska wasn’t able to take advantage and punted back to Wiskey, but the walk-on punter for Big Red pinned the Badgers at their 12. On the very next play, with the effort and execution reminiscent of a Bob Diaco defense, Nebraska defenders let Johnathan Taylor sprint past them for an 88 yard touchdown run

I know this is a volleyball forum but an editorial note on the Nebraska offensive line. It is apparent to me that the offensive line has a sixth sense. They displayed an uncanny ability to sense when a big play was going to happen, and then negate it by a holding, hands to the face, or block in the back penalty. It was simply amazing. It happened with such precision, it couldn’t have been a coincidence.

Disgusted, I turned off the TV and went back to the live stats for the volleyball match. Much to my dismay I found the Minnesota had won the match 3-1. When I looked initially at the live stats, 3 things jumped out. The third set score of 14-25 made me pause. As well as this team plays defense, and with the offensive firepower it has, it surprised me that Big Red could be held to 14 points. The second was 6 service errors to only 1 ace. With all the servers on this team, how did that happen? And the third item was only 2 blocks for the entire 4 set match. I knew Minnesota liked to play fast of offense, but was their All-American setter Seliger-Swenson that good at setting quick kills that the Husker block couldn’t respond?

So today (Sunday), I went back and listened to the radio call (I was in a foul mood the rest of Saturday evening) in hopes to find answers.

It should be noted that Minnesota came into the match unbeaten in B1G play at 5-0 without having lost a set. This included sweeps of Penn State and, more impressively, total domination of a good Wisconsin team. They are a hot commodity.

The blocking answer became evident as it became apparent the live stats were a truncated version of the official stats. The block stats on the live stats were solo blocks only. The final block stats were 11 to 7 in favor of the Huskers, which is not out of line with recent performances.

However, the remainder of the items were not live vs. official statistical anomalies. The service game was not very good. Some of it was Minnesota doing an excellent job of digging and passing, most of it was the Huskers as a group were inexplicably tentative. Cook even made the point in the post game presser that Nebraska was ‘serving lollipops.’ The service game did not stress Minnesota to any degree. Having only 1 service ace is obviously a season match low, and the tentative nature of the “first contact” on the offensive side of the ball infected “first contact” on the defensive side also. In particular, Densburger and Foecke had subpar digging and passing performances.

Offensively, out of the Four Horseman of the Volleyball Apocalypse, only Sweet hit below .200. The distribution to the outsides and the right side hitter was pretty even, but the middles, again, got substantially less swings than the other 3 prongs of the offense. The Nebraska middles got 11 kills, compared to the Minnesota middles that got over 20 kills. Big difference. Stivrins had 10 kills, but Schwarzenbach was largely invisible on the offensive side.

The final anomaly, the third set blow out, was mainly due to an exaggeration of the flaws (service, digging, and passing) mentioned above. It was close for the first part of set, 11 – 12 at one point, when the proverbial wheels came off, and bad passes & unforced errors ruled the day. The maroon and gold ran off an 11 point run in that 3rd set to embarrass the Huskers. The Big Red never really recovered from that episodic venture into bad volleyball.

Not the Huskers finest performance, and substantially worse than the Illinois match (at least according to the radio announcers). Foecke, in particular, had an off night. It wasn’t reflected in her offensive numbers, but it was revealed in her service game, digging, and passing. It was bad enough that Foecke had to be subbed out in the 3rd. Easily Mickela’s worst match this season (even worse than Florida).

Sooooooo………….they commented on the radio that a bug had been spreading through the team. Maloney, in her post match presser, clearly had a cold. Not to spread any conspiracy theories, but I wonder if Foecke was at 100% tonight. Based on her past performances, my intuition says SOMETHING was wrong with her, and I doubt it was a case of nerves.

Regardless of whether Foecke was sick or not, the reality is that the Huskers got punched and they didn’t respond well. They also didn’t bring their A game to a big match like they did against Illinois. That’s the bad news. The good news is that it is only one loss, and the Huskers still control their own destiny in winning the B1G albeit THAT task just got immeasurably tougher, particularly with the upcoming schedule. The other good news is that this team has a higher ceiling than last year’s team or even Minnesota’s , but consistency is lacking.

In other B1G action, Michigan had a good week by beating No.14 ranked Purdue in straight sets and Indiana in 5. The Cult that is Penn State avenged the early conference loss to Ohio State by beating the Buckeyes in straight sets at Cultist Valley. Wisconsin won twice including defeating nationally ranked Illinois earlier in the week.

Nationally, the HUGE news out of the West Coast Conference was that a team in the conference actually took a set from BYU. And it was my favorite overranked team, the Toreros of San Diego, who pushed the Cougars to four sets. No doubt the west coast volleyball coaches that participate in the AVCA poll will rank the 7 win 9 loss Toreros in the top 10, even though they lost earlier in the week to San Diego State in straights.

Stanford beat Utah in 4 on Friday, and play Colorado today. UT@SUCKS won both matches, but were pushed to 5 sets at TCU. Pittsburgh beat Syracuse in 4 handing the Orange their first conference loss. They play Boston College today.

What I would like to see in the top 10 is Minnesota, Nebraska, and Wisconsin move into the top 5 and drop the Shorthorns to 6. What I think will happen is that UT@SUCKS will move up to 3, Minnesota at 4, Nebraska 5, and Wisconsin 6. Pittsburgh will likely move up to the 7th position, followed by Illinois, Penn State, and Creighton. I don’t think the Illini will drop below The Cultists.

11 thru 25 is again dependent on Sunday PAC-12 play. The Arizona schools are already off to an auspicious start by losing to the Washington schools on Friday after dumping both Oregon schools the previous weekend. The Sun Devils and Wildcats finish hosting the Washington schools today. Of the B1G teams, Michigan should move up, and I don’t think Purdue will fall outside the top 16.

Next up for the Fightin’ Schwarzenbachs are the Hoosiers of Indiana. The Hoosiers dropped a pair of 5 setters to the Michigan Schools on the road. Indiana is currently 2-4 in conference play and 11-6 overall. 3 of the 4 conference losses have been in 5 sets. Nebraska needs to correct itself in a big way against Indiana since the 3 following matches are @ The Cultists, @ Wisconsin, and @ Minnesota.

Undertow...I want you to know that I really appreciate the time and effort you put forth with your after match synopsis. I really look forward to reading them!! You are a great addition to the HMAX Volleyball Forum!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
"taken apart" was mentioned in the WH article I think, describing the beating the "U" put on us last night. Can't disagree. Cook was very honest about it: not good enough yet...He's a rare coaching talent...There's a lot of Vball to be played. I don't like Hugh much, but he put our noses in it with the refusal to change the time and the pounding his team delivered...we gotta get better and tougher, and we will. Losing sucks, yet this one will get the full attention of the girls...

^ True Husker fan right there folks. :Biggrin:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back