• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Minnesota fires coach Tracy Claeys

Personally I don't see any of those coaches being interested. I don't see PJ Fleck leaving unless he is offered by a "contender".

The article in CBS sports indicates the current Minnesota AD was previously at Boise and hired the current Boise head coach after Peterson left for Washington, so there is that connection. I agree about Miles and Fleck. If Fleck hasn't pulled the trigger by now, I'm not sure what Minnesota would offer that a Purdue or Indiana couldn't.

Maybe a reach, but I wonder if they would be interested in Craig Bohl after only 3 seasons at Wyoming. Bohl recruited in similar areas that Minnesota recruited while at ND State, would often get the people that Minnesota wouldn't sign, and then periodically play the Gophers in non-conference and beat their ass. I would think at Bohl's age he would be open to it, since it may be his last chance to get to a Power 5 conference team.

As far as the firing, I agree it has more to do with the social climate, than reality. However, I wonder how much easier it is for the AD to push the "integrity" button when the buyout is 500K instead of 5 Million.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Totally agree the $500k buyout, and the social climate drove the firing. The MN admin was pretty lukewarm on Claeys anyway given the minimal buyout.

I think they'll hire Bohl if they can get him or NoDak's HC. No way Fleck would take the gig. He's waiting for something bigger.

The bad part? If it's Bohl, there will be yet another HC who is better than Riley and understands what it takes to win in this part of the country.

The article in CBS sports indicates the current Minnesota AD was previously at Boise and hired the current Boise head coach after Peterson left for Washington, so there is that connection. I agree about Miles and Fleck. If Fleck hasn't pulled the trigger by now, I'm not sure what Minnesota would offer that a Purdue or Indiana couldn't.

Maybe a reach, but I wonder if they would be interested in Craig Bohl after only 3 seasons at Wyoming. Bohl recruited in similar areas that Minnesota recruited while at ND State, would often get the people that Minnesota wouldn't sign, and then periodically play the Gophers in non-conference and beat their ass. I would think at Bohl's age he would be open to it, since it may be his last chance to get to a Power 5 conference team.

As far as the firing, I agree it has more to do with the social climate, than reality. However, I wonder how much easier it is for the AD to push the "integrity" button when the buyout is 500K instead of 5 Million.

Just sayin'.

I think Bohl was in the running for the Gopher job when the hired Jerry Kill.

Seems like Claeys was doing a good job. They had a very good bowl win no one expected. I don't know enough to judge what he knows about that garbage going on at Minnesota. If he knew bad things and looked away, then hell yeah, see ya. If not, he's a scapegoat. The question then would be, who they gonna hire that will be better than the 9-4 Claeys just posted?

Totally agree the $500k buyout, and the social climate drove the firing. The MN admin was pretty lukewarm on Claeys anyway given the minimal buyout.

I think they'll hire Bohl if they can get him or NoDak's HC. No way Fleck would take the gig. He's waiting for something bigger.

The bad part? If it's Bohl, there will be yet another HC who is better than Riley and understands what it takes to win in this part of the country.
Good first 2 paragraphs followed by some stupid.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back