• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mike Sherman was the "wow" hire...

That was the rumor at one point. IIRC, both Perlman and Wannstedt denied it at different times over the years. The article says there were 7 official interviews - Bo and Turner internally and Sherman, Zimmer, Nutt, Saunders and Callahan externally.

The rumored candidates cited in the article are Brad Childress, Bill Cowher, Butch Davis, Gary Kubiak, Steve Mariucci, Steve Spurrier, Dave Wannstedt, David Cutcliffe, Joe Glenn, Jim Grobe, Harris, Steve Kragthorpe, Urban Meyer, Rich Rodriguez and Jeff Tedford. Sounds like those were all fan and/or media speculation.
We did reach out to Childress. Not sure abut any of the others in paragraph 2. Meyer was vocal at the time about not going somewhere that fires a 9-3 coach, so if we reached out we were quickly rejected.

That was a real interesting article. I agree that the big lesson is if you are an AD about to fire your coach, you better have the replacement 100% lined up.

Pederson really screwed it up.

It's crazy that he convinced himself that he had Sherman all but sewn up even though Sherman clearly had no interest in the job. If you aggressively pursue a candidate and he won't sign a contract, that's all you need to know.

“He was very positive,” Perlman said. “And that was a problem.” SP had the situational awareness of a toddler.

Like TBRL, I'm a little shocked it took 17 years for this to come out but I'm definitely not surprised it's published by The Athletic and not the OWH or LJS. Oddly enough, the last truly groundbreaking story the Nebraska media published on the Nebraska football program was probably the LJS story that FADSP tried to get them to kill.

I also agree with TBRL that FADSP really does seem to have convinced himself that Sherman (and some other candidates) were interested simply because "It's Nebraska!" I'm also quite willing to believe he eventually offered Nutt $2.5 million. Since Sherman was making $3.5 million in Green Bay, I think it's reasonable to ask, was FADSP going to offer him $3.5-4 million?!? That would have rocked the entire CFB world.

Furthermore, exactly why did FADSP think Sherman would be a good hire at Nebraska? He went 25-25, lost two bowl games and never finished higher than 5th in the Big 12 South. We'll never truly know, but I don't think Sherman would have done any better at Nebraska than Callahan did.

If Al Saunders had gotten the job and brought back Kevin Steele, IMO things would have been fine among most of the fanbase even though the search took far too long.

Last edited:
I thought it was reported as Wannstadt in the past?
agreed. Although denied by SP, per the press in south florida in an interview with Wanny's dad, it was the "if it were offered, and if he took it would he take it"...pedie didn't want to look turned down. Wanny's dad said something to the affect, that "I know a job offer when I hear it and that was a job offer" through it all, I'm older and the huskers haven't been the team we loved in some of the days of yore.

I think there was some belief that Wannstadt was going to be canned by the Dolphins, but they didn’t fire him.

thats true, the thought was that he was gonna be available, but the dolphins extended him another yr, which was a total shock to everyone, especially SP. now SP was outa options so the search began, and landed with callahan. SP knew wannstedt, and later hired him at pitt

As long as we have one toe in rumorville, I was under the impression (mostly from 1620 interviews with Sip) that things were personal between SP and Frank, dating back to slights that SP felt from the coaching staff back in the '80s when Steve was Osborne's recruiting coordinator. I've even heard that Steve leaked a couple of salacious and unfounded rumors about Frank's personal life.
None of that would be surprising. During the Pederson era my Mom played in a weekly golf league with a member of the UNO athletic department. That person used to start talking after a few drinks and on more then one occasion referred to SP as “evil”

The beginning of the end, thanks Mitch.
Maybe it’s the timing of it?

I’m saying maybe he’s reminding us.

Still….yuck.

Last edited:
As long as we have one toe in rumorville, I was under the impression (mostly from 1620 interviews with Sip) that things were personal between SP and Frank, dating back to slights that SP felt from the coaching staff back in the '80s when Steve was Osborne's recruiting coordinator. I've even heard that Steve leaked a couple of salacious and unfounded rumors about Frank's personal life.

It’s fairly common knowledge that Steve Pederson and Frank Solich didn’t like each other when they were underlines.

That was the rumor at one point. IIRC, both Perlman and Wannstedt denied it at different times over the years. The article says there were 7 official interviews - Bo and Turner internally and Sherman, Zimmer, Nutt, Saunders and Callahan externally.

The rumored candidates cited in the article are Brad Childress, Bill Cowher, Butch Davis, Gary Kubiak, Steve Mariucci, Steve Spurrier, Dave Wannstedt, David Cutcliffe, Joe Glenn, Jim Grobe, Harris, Steve Kragthorpe, Urban Meyer, Rich Rodriguez and Jeff Tedford. Sounds like those were all fan and/or media speculation.
Seems to me that Urban Meyer was offered while he was at Utah, but turned it down. He stayed one more year at Utah and then took the Fla job. I never liked the fact that he turned NU down but he must have been able to see behind the curtain.

Seems to me that Urban Meyer was offered while he was at Utah, but turned it down. He stayed one more year at Utah and then took the Fla job. I never liked the fact that he turned NU down but he must have been able to see behind the curtain.
Takes one to know one.

Like TBRL, I'm a little shocked it took 17 years for this to come out but I'm definitely not surprised it's published by The Athletic and not the OWH or LJS. Oddly enough, the last truly groundbreaking story the Nebraska media published on the Nebraska football program was probably the LJS story that FADSP tried to get them to kill.

I also agree with TBRL that FADSP really does seem to have convinced himself that Sherman (and some other candidates) were interested simply because "It's Nebraska!" I'm also quite willing to believe he eventually offered Nutt $2.5 million. Since Sherman was making $3.5 million in Green Bay, I think it's reasonable to ask, was FADSP going to offer him $3.5-4 million?!? That would have rocked the entire CFB world.

Furthermore, exactly why did FADSP think Sherman would be a good hire at Nebraska? He went 25-25, lost two bowl games and never finished higher than 5th in the Big 12 South. We'll never truly know, but I don't think Sherman would have done any better at Nebraska than Callahan did.

If Al Saunders had gotten the job and brought back Kevin Steele, IMO things would have been fine among most of the fanbase even though the search took far too long.
Kevin Steele would gave made it bearable. Would have given him a longer runway.

We Husker fans are very tribal.

David W. Dulcon was rumored to be in the mix as well contingent upon whether he would have been able to bring Soleil Moon Frye and Henry Warnimont along.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back