• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mike Sherman was the "wow" hire...

Seems to me that Urban Meyer was offered while he was at Utah, but turned it down. He stayed one more year at Utah and then took the Fla job. I never liked the fact that he turned NU down but he must have been able to see behind the curtain.
He was never offered. He did however comment after Solich was fired that he would “never go somewhere they’d fire a 9 win coach” as a clear shot to NU. IIRC, it was during the 40 Days and Nights.

As long as we have one toe in rumorville, I was under the impression (mostly from 1620 interviews with Sip) that things were personal between SP and Frank, dating back to slights that SP felt from the coaching staff back in the '80s when Steve was Osborne's recruiting coordinator. I've even heard that Steve leaked a couple of salacious and unfounded rumors about Frank's personal life.
North stadium was the source of the ugly rumors. I think that had been confirmed some time ago. i dont think it was any secret that Pedey wanted him out. Remember that the new assistant coaches stared him down over the 2-year contract renewals the previous summer. He was planning to oust Frank and the staff right away and get his own statue outside the stadium.

RC then booked hotels. Pedey was a glorified travel agent and probably didnt like his status at the time, thinking he didnt get credit as an integral part of the staff.

It's amazing that it took 17 years for this cat to get out of the bag. I was always under the impression that SP had someone all but inked, and they got cold feat at the last minute. Mileage varies as to whether Sherman was a headline-making hire, but what I find more remarkable is that Sherman doesn't appear to have been all that interested.

Pederson seemingly convinced himself that Sherman was interested 'cause Nebraska. I think the moral of the story, and this goes for most of the past 17 years, is that an AD should never fire a coach unless they are certain they have someone better lined up.

The article: https://theathletic.com/2885515/202...1-eye-opening-days/?source=emp_shared_article

Al Saunders, on the other hand, was interested:

Ultimately, Dick Vermeil and the Chiefs talked Saunders out of it, giving him a raise and intimating he'd succeed Vermeil as head coach, a job that ultimately went to Herm Edwards. I have to say, Saunders and Steele would have been a formidable combo at the time.

Another interesting fact you may or may not know: Mike Zimmer led us to Bill Callahan. He was offered the NU job and like everyone else in this fiasco, stayed put and leveraged the offer to a huge pay raise. Zimmer’s agent was Gary O’Hagan, who also repped the likes of John Wooden, Tom Coughlin, Mike Leach … and the recently fired coach of the Oakland Raiders.
Isn't there a bit of irony here. He wound up coaching in NCAA at Texas A&M a few years later. Then he hires Zac Taylor as GA. Zac Taylor marries his daughter. Now, say Bill Callahan doesn't wind up at Nebraska, and Mike Sherman does. Does Sherman recruit Zac Taylor? Probably does. Maybe Zac and daughter meet earlier.

Pederson's entire vision was all wrong, including the decision to fire Solich. Whomever was hired was destined to fail because he would've never had the honeymoon necessary to completely flip the culture. That's in no small part due to the reality that the culture didn't need to be flipped in the first place.

We're still reeling from the former insider that came back and thought he knew better. We haven't had an identity since.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back