• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mike Dawson to the Giants

That's Captain Tuttle to you. Unless he got a field promotion upon his tragic death. He is still missed. I still remember shooting hoops with him during down times.

I know these are M.A.S.H. references but every time I hear Tuttle I think of Harry Tuttle. Do you have your 27B/6 signed? https://www.suberic.net/~dmm/27B-6.pdf

NecessaryNearCoelacanth-size_restricted.gif

C

Exhibit 1,563 proving that playing and coaching talent are not that well connected, see a certain QB named Bart Starr:

While Starr was a player, the Packers won five NFL championships and the first two Super Bowls. As coach, Starr's Packers had an overall regular-season record of 52 wins, 76 losses and three ties from 1975 through 1983. The team reached the playoffs only once — in the strike-shortened 1982 season.​

Or our own Tommie Frazier: https://journalstar.com/sports/fraz...cle_27df5b19-fd67-5779-8abb-8f471f0bb278.html

Less than 20 months since Tommie Frazier was praised for his potential at Doane College, the school announced Tuesday he was leaving as head football coach.
Frazier, voted one of the top two Nebraska football players ever and the quarterback for two Husker national championships, ended his tenure with Doane by “mutual agreement,” both Frazier and Doane athletic director Greg Heier said.
Frazier, whose teams were 2-8 in 2005 and 1-9 this year, had whittled his squad to fewer than 40 players who were dressed for the final game of the season.

Conversely, Mike Leach never played football at any level and is 133–83 lifetime as a college coach.

Here's a whole article on the subject:

This Is The Real Reason The Best Athletes Usually Make The Worst Coaches
BY DAN SCOTTI

https://www.elitedaily.com/sports/amazing-athletes-flop-coaches/1339816

How would one know unless given an opportunity? Conversely, one individual named Tom Osborne was a successful coach and former player. There are many former players who were great coaches.

You were the one making the ridiculous statement. There was no justification to your comment other than to incite an argument, and you knew it.

Absolutely, playing time is relevant to coaching experience. JP knows the ropes and what it takes to win. He was an outstanding player and would be an outstanding motivator as a position coach. End of conversation.

That's probably why he's had so many opportunities to coach in college or in the NFL. Personally, I think we deserve someone with at least a little coaching experience (that doesn't include a high school).

How would one know unless given an opportunity? Conversely, one individual named Tom Osborne was a successful coach and former player. There are many former players who were great coaches.

You don't give a guy his first shot at a program like the Huskers. JP is a not only a
non-starter its bordering on trolling. Are you trolling?

Like JP, but see him more as a guy that would be a motivator or voluntary asst., not enough experience to be a DL coach now

I would put Osborne and Frost in a similar category. Good football players, Frost had more success, both 'sort of' made it to the next level. MOST good coaches were good but not great players. Again, the desire to push oneself and maximize your own talent is one motivational pattern. The drive to coach, develop and maximize the potential of another person or team is a different motivational pattern. Sometimes those two overlap. Beyond the desire, there's the ability. The ability to do something and teach someone else to do something at a high level are not the same.

Last edited:

TO joined the staff as an unpaid assistant. Huge difference than naming JP the DL coach with a huge gap between his last coaching job and now. There are many more DL coaches out there that have the college experience required for the job.

C

Why do most Husker fans immediately start angling for a coach who is a former player? Severely limiting your options doing that. LOTS of viable candidates who aren't former Huskers.

I agree but I would like your opinion on an article in the World Herald today about coaching 'turnover'.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/...cle_43a5f41f-e8cd-5264-bd89-aefe21276d10.html

but a defensive lineman who learns four different techniques is at more of a disadvantage.

So many changes. So much drama. It accumulates.

His departure will hurt a defensive line that’s undergone constant change. Yes, college kids are resilient, but Carlos and Khalil Davis were recruited by a guy (Rick Kaczenski) who never coached them before playing for three different coaches. Now they’ll get another.

Iowa’s defensive line coach has been the same guy, Reese Morgan, for seven seasons. Before that, Morgan was Iowa’s offensive line coach for nine years.
The Hawkeyes are pretty good at line play for a reason. NU fans should feel good that Greg Austin, a former Husker himself, is entrenched and committed here as much as Frost is.

Those are Some tidbits from the article to me that make me want someone with Husker connections, not that it is the best way and I get it shrinks the pool but there are some arguments as to why it might be a good idea. At a minimum it would be nice to have a coach really committ to 3 years before moving on, which I get is hard to do.

Does any of that make sense?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back