• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mike Dawson to the Giants

If you're going to dream big, why not dream REAL big: Larry Johnson. Remember when OSU stole Javontae Jean-Baptiste away from us during a blizzard? Johnson had a big hand in that. Do you know how a lot of us are still fuming about that? JJB doesn't even make Johnson's list of big-time recent recruits. Why not dream about getting the best recruiting D-line coach in all of college football, and arguably the best coach at developing talent?
https://247sports.com/Coach/Larry-Johnson-232/

I certainly am a believer in aiming high and I agree that Johnson is probably the best combination of coach/recruiter at the d-line position in the country, but he makes 750k with the Buckeyes and considering what Dawson was making, it's likely that 500k is about where the next guy will come in, assuming it's an established coach.

On another board a poster brought up Jerry Montgomery, current DL coach of the Packers. He was on the Northern Iowa staff as the DL coach when Frost was DC and he also played at Iowa with Chinander.

That's an A+ hire if it comes to fruition. Montgomery is considered a really good young coach and was one of the best recruiters on staff in stints at Michigan and Oklahoma. Just not sure he'd take it. Last January Jimbo Fisher hired him away from the Packers to be his associate head coach and defensive tackles coach when he put his staff together at Texas A&M, but Montgomery changed his mind shortly after. He'd be a great hire. IMPO about as good as you can get.

Does playing equate to coaching? They are all pretty much equal in that regards.

C
You must be Republican. All you want to do is to argue so as to hear the little marble roll around in your empty cranium. JP would, IMO, make a great D-line coach.

Thank God for that. Suggestions like Jason Peter are friggin ridiculous.
JP was my kinda player. He did everything he could to make the team better. Not sure if he’d be a good coach, but I love his gung-ho, 100% GBR attitude. He’d inspire the players, if nothing else.

Last edited:
You must be Republican. All you want to do is to argue so as to hear the little marble roll around in your empty cranium. JP would, IMO, make a great D-line coach.

No need for a personal attack. And again, does playing equate to good coaching? I don't think it does. I am not trying to argue, this is a legitimate discussion. What has JP done in the coaching ranks that makes you think he would be a great coach? His extensive time at Edison high school or Harvard-Westlake prep school?

And thanks for the Republican label, I bet there are many on here who would disagree with you on that. Part of what is cool about not being Replicrat or Demican.

C

No need for a personal attack. And again, does playing equate to good coaching? I don't think it does. I am not trying to argue, this is a legitimate discussion. What has JP done in the coaching ranks that makes you think he would be a great coach? His extensive time at Edison high school or Harvard-Westlake prep school?

And thanks for the Republican label, I bet there are many on here who would disagree with you on that. Part of what is cool about not being Replicrat or Demican.

C
You were the one making the ridiculous statement. There was no justification to your comment other than to incite an argument, and you knew it.

Absolutely, playing time is relevant to coaching experience. JP knows the ropes and what it takes to win. He was an outstanding player and would be an outstanding motivator as a position coach. End of conversation.

Last edited:
You were the one making the ridiculous statement. Absolutely, playing time is relevant to coaching experience. JP knows the ropes and what it takes to win. He was an outstanding player and would be an outstanding motivator as a coach. End of conversation.

He was an outstanding player but there is much more to coaching than just motivation and knowing what it takes to win. Can he recruit? Is he able to clearly communicate technique to players? Is he detail orientated? Has he continued to learn and coach?

C

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back