• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mid-Season O-Line stats

ThrowFar60

Scout Team
5 Year Member
I’m admittedly an AM apologist. And frankly believe that a lot of our skill players could actually perform if our offensive line played even a smidge better. My God our o-line is atrocious.

Two stats to pay close attention to:

Stuff Rate: Nebraska’s ballcarriers are stopped at or behind the line of scrimmage on 22% of their runs. Almost 1 out of every 4
Passing down sack rate: Nebraska QB’s are sacked on just over 15% of their passing plays on passing downs.

Run-blocking stats

• Line Yards per Carry: For 2018, we are experimenting with a new definition for college line yardage based on film study and generalization. Instead of the ALY figure FO used for the NFL, this one is tighter: the line gets credit for rushing yardage between 0-3 yards (instead of 0-4) and 50% credit for yards 4-8 (instead of 5-10). Anything over 8 yards is quantified as a highlight opportunity, and credit goes to the runner. As with the pro definition, lost yardage still counts for 125%. (Garbage time is filtered out for all line yardage averages.) Nebraska 112th out of 130
  • Standard Downs Line Yards per Carry: The raw, unadjusted per-carry line yardage for a team on standard downs (first down, second-and-7 or fewer, third-and-4 or fewer, fourth-and-4 or fewer). Nebraska 109 out of 130
  • Passing Downs Line Yards per Carry: The same unadjusted averages for rushing on passing downs. Nebraska 106 out of 130
  • Opportunity Rate: The percentage of carries (when four yards are available) that gain at least four yards, i.e. the percentage of carries in which the line does its job, so to speak. Nebraska 100th out of 130
  • Power Success Rate: This is the same as on the pro side -- percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Nebraska 33rd out of 130
  • Stuff Rate: Same as STUFFED on the pro side -- percentage of carries by running backs that are stopped at or before the line of scrimmage. Nebraska 22% 105th out of 130.
    Pass-blocking stats
  • Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for all non-garbage time pass attempts. Nebraska 8.8% 106th out of 130
  • Standard Downs Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for standard downs pass attempts. Nebraska 50th out of 130
  • Passing Downs Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for passing downs pass attempts. Nebraska 15.1% 119th out of 130

Pass blockers with no hand position techniques in the run game...sounds like our OL.

1. Opportunity Rate: The percentage of carries (when four yards are available) that gain at least four yards, i.e. the percentage of carries in which the line does its job, so to speak.

Nebraska 100th out of 130....

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the team this year.

At least our power success rate isn't horrible. The top 25% or so. Couldn't read the rest. Way too depressing lol

Brillant
I’m admittedly an AM apologist. And frankly believe that a lot of our skill players could actually perform if our offensive line played even a smidge better. My God our o-line is atrocious.

Two stats to pay close attention to:

Stuff Rate: Nebraska’s ballcarriers are stopped at or behind the line of scrimmage on 22% of their runs. Almost 1 out of every 4
Passing down sack rate: Nebraska QB’s are sacked on just over 15% of their passing plays on passing downs.

Run-blocking stats

• Line Yards per Carry: For 2018, we are experimenting with a new definition for college line yardage based on film study and generalization. Instead of the ALY figure FO used for the NFL, this one is tighter: the line gets credit for rushing yardage between 0-3 yards (instead of 0-4) and 50% credit for yards 4-8 (instead of 5-10). Anything over 8 yards is quantified as a highlight opportunity, and credit goes to the runner. As with the pro definition, lost yardage still counts for 125%. (Garbage time is filtered out for all line yardage averages.) Nebraska 112th out of 130
  • Standard Downs Line Yards per Carry: The raw, unadjusted per-carry line yardage for a team on standard downs (first down, second-and-7 or fewer, third-and-4 or fewer, fourth-and-4 or fewer). Nebraska 109 out of 130
  • Passing Downs Line Yards per Carry: The same unadjusted averages for rushing on passing downs. Nebraska 106 out of 130
  • Opportunity Rate: The percentage of carries (when four yards are available) that gain at least four yards, i.e. the percentage of carries in which the line does its job, so to speak. Nebraska 100th out of 130
  • Power Success Rate: This is the same as on the pro side -- percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Nebraska 33rd out of 130
  • Stuff Rate: Same as STUFFED on the pro side -- percentage of carries by running backs that are stopped at or before the line of scrimmage. Nebraska 22% 105th out of 130.
    Pass-blocking stats
  • Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for all non-garbage time pass attempts. Nebraska 8.8% 106th out of 130
  • Standard Downs Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for standard downs pass attempts. Nebraska 50th out of 130
  • Passing Downs Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for passing downs pass attempts. Nebraska 15.1% 119th out of 130
Brilliant timing. Just got done posting in another thread how our oline is just pathetic and if they were just average this season would feel a lot different.

Looking at the statistics confirms what my eyes seen. Just dog..... play week after week. It's beyond me why we can't get five guys who want to be on the field. The lack of energy when they play is astounding.
Again thanks for sharing.

1. Opportunity Rate: The percentage of carries (when four yards are available) that gain at least four yards, i.e. the percentage of carries in which the line does its job, so to speak.

Nebraska 100th out of 130....

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the team this year.
What's your take on why we're so lousy with O-line this season? Is it coaching, lack of talent, S&C, scheme? All of those things? I honestly believe the players are playing as hard as they can and it's not from lack of effort. Obviously something is really screwed up and has made our skill players look less then average to be kind. Just curious what you think is the central issue for the terrible O-line play.

What's your take on why we're so lousy with O-line this season? Is it coaching, lack of talent, S&C, scheme? All of those things? I honestly believe the players are playing as hard as they can and it's not from lack of effort. Obviously something is really screwed up and has made our skill players look less then average to be kind. Just curious what you think is the central issue for the terrible O-line play.

I'll take a stab at that:
1. Highly talented but very inexperienced center. This is slowly improving.
2. RT playing out of position, should be a guard, does not have the footwork to be a tackle.
3. Coaching staff with fear to make changes. Seeing lack of success in O-line but not bringing players who could do better. We know that at least Bando is a viable alternative. What about; Raridon for example. Why didnt he come in when Hixson was hurt, he is the backup LG? Other potential players: Piper, Benhart and Banks.
4. Long term: Yes, S&C and playing together will make the O-line look more like the Pipeline when the walk on program plus recruiting 4/5 star o-lineman comes into effect and we are playing o-lineman who have had 3 years to grow within the program before seeing the field like in the good old days.

PS: In think #3 Hurts team moral (see Mo Washington not wanting to run inside the tackles). If players see failure on the field not being "punished" by someone else getting a chance then why practice hard week in week out? Coaches have got to know that players want to play!

Last edited:
I wish I had an answer. Others have pointed out that Farniok and Jaimes have been horrible (and I agree they have) but these are the same 2 guys who played LT and RT last season when we were punishing teams running the ball, and terrorizing folks with RPO’s.

Center snaps can’t be ignored, but they were non-existent against Minny, and we still couldn’t run the ball to save our lives.

I know Duval personally, so I hate to point the finger at the S&C department, especially because I know the strength and physical changes the entire team went through. But sometimes brute strength in the weight room doesn’t crossover to the field.

The bottom line is we have the talent, Trent Hixson is the only player who wasn’t rated coming out or HS, so we can’t use that argument. At some point Austin will have to be looked at by Frost. You can’t be an offensive guru if your offense sucks, and right now, our offense sucks.

2. RT playing out of position, should be a guard, does not have the footwork to be a tackle.
My argument to the above bolded was that Farniok is playing the same position he did last year, and our o-line problems weren’t a problem at all. So my fear is we have to look elsewhere for blame.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back