• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mid season B1G Discussion

weaver75

Special Counsel
10 Year Member
B1G teams ranked 3, 6, 7, 9, 12, and 14. NU is 8-0 and in first, but they have played only 1 game against the other 5 “Top 14”, and that was #14. NU has 7 games left against those 5. But NU is not alone: Wisconsin has 7 left (and has only played 1) too, Minnesota has 7, Ohio State has 5, Purdue has 5, and Penn State has 5. So while Nebraska and Wisconsin are in the lead now, Ohio State, Purdue, and Penn State have a preferable schedule.

While Nebraska and/or Wisconsin may get hot and win with 0 or 1 losses, more likely is that several of these teams tie with three losses. A key will be for these six not to lose to any of the other eight teams (like Wisconsin’s shocking loss to Maryland), but some will.

From The Huskers’ perspective, I fear Wisconsin the most, but Ohio State looks great too. Each week from now on is going to be exciting in the B1G. I hope NU is hitting its stride at the right time.

It is gonna be exciting and nerve racking for sure from a fan's perspective. I think Cook and his team are ready for the gauntlet. I think they are getting stronger and more consistent with each match. If they continue to defend well, they're in good, good shape. Go Big Volleyball Red.

Coach Cook is an expert with roster management, which is good because it's always a challenge with all the talent on the team. The advantage of the schedule is that they played tournament-quality teams early (as he always does) to give the freshmen experience at that level -- without affecting the conference race. Very telling that AA Lexi Sun is sitting on the bench in favor of freshmen. I hope the end result is a deep team that is well-equipped for the Final Four.

These gals are playing well and seem to play well together,
2 things I want 2 see:

Improve in passing the ball closer to the net.

Hit with more vigor when hitting the ball over the net., whether on defense or on on the attack.

Coach Cook will have the team ready for Purdue. Ohio State and Wisconsin will be crucial ... and huge confidence builders if they win.

We’re a lot more aggressive attacking this year, roll shots and tips are way down.

I think our digging is good in that balls come up, but accurate passing can still be improved. Our block is iffy in my mind, but I’m no expert.

All in all, I’m happy with where we are at given 3 freshman playing, and think we’re setting up to make a good run come tournament time.

Here we go -- what a weekend:
Friday -- PSU v. Minn; OSU v. Wisconsin
Saturday -- Neb. v. Purdue; PSU v. Wisconsin
Sunday -- OSU v. Minn.

5 matches that involve Top 15 teams playing each other! Sunday night will have everyone half way through the conference schedule.

Here we go -- what a weekend:
Friday -- PSU v. Minn; OSU v. Wisconsin
Saturday -- Neb. v. Purdue; PSU v. Wisconsin
Sunday -- OSU v. Minn.

5 matches that involve Top 15 teams playing each other! Sunday night will have everyone half way through the conference schedule.
Wow!

Nebraska10-016-3
Wisconsin9-117-1
Penn State7-314-6
Minnesota7-312-6
Ohio State6-416-4
Purdue6-414-5
Illinois6-414-7
Maryland5-517-5
Michigan5-512-7
Northwestern4-69-12
Indiana2-78-13
Michigan State2-89-10
Rutgers0-98-12
Iowa0-102-18

Season exactly half over, and it looks good for Nebraska and Wisconsin. But not so much when you look at games played and to be played against the 7 teams with winning conference records.

Nebraska – 3-0, with 7 more games against the other 6 top teams
Wisconsin – 5-0, with 5 more games against the other 6 top teams (and a loss to MD)
Penn State – 2-3, with 4 more games against the other 6 top teams
Ohio State – 1-4, with 4 more games against the other 6 top teams
Minnesota – 1-2, with 6 more games against the other 6 top teams (and loss to Mich)
Purdue – 3-3, with 4 more games against the other 6 top teams (and loss to MSU)
Illinois – 1-4, with 4 more games against the other 6 top teams

Each of the top 7 teams have 9 or 10 games total against the other 6 top teams, so overall the scheduling looks fair. But Nebraska has 7 such games remaining, more than anyone else – 6 for Minn., 5 for Wisc., and 4 for the other four top teams. We can feel great about being undefeated in the Big 10 half way through, but we have the toughest schedule left.

Nebraska10-016-3
Wisconsin9-117-1
Penn State7-314-6
Minnesota7-312-6
Ohio State6-416-4
Purdue6-414-5
Illinois6-414-7
Maryland5-517-5
Michigan5-512-7
Northwestern4-69-12
Indiana2-78-13
Michigan State2-89-10
Rutgers0-98-12
Iowa0-102-18

Season exactly half over, and it looks good for Nebraska and Wisconsin. But not so much when you look at games played and to be played against the 7 teams with winning conference records.

Nebraska – 3-0, with 7 more games against the other 6 top teams
Wisconsin – 5-0, with 5 more games against the other 6 top teams (and a loss to MD)
Penn State – 2-3, with 4 more games against the other 6 top teams
Ohio State – 1-4, with 4 more games against the other 6 top teams
Minnesota – 1-2, with 6 more games against the other 6 top teams (and loss to Mich)
Purdue – 3-3, with 4 more games against the other 6 top teams (and loss to MSU)
Illinois – 1-4, with 4 more games against the other 6 top teams

Each of the top 7 teams have 9 or 10 games total against the other 6 top teams, so overall the scheduling looks fair. But Nebraska has 7 such games remaining, more than anyone else – 6 for Minn., 5 for Wisc., and 4 for the other four top teams. We can feel great about being undefeated in the Big 10 half way through, but we have the toughest schedule left.
Going to be a challenge for sure. I hope we have the rotation figured out, to where we can compete with anyone. Wiscy (mainly Rettke) and Texas are scary.

Batenhorst has allowed the game to get to her head and is now performing like Sun was.. Hopefully she gets that figured out. Lexi seems to have and will probably be in the line up a lot more going forward.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back