• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mid Major team(s) to make a run this year?

my bad, you're correct... just goes to show it was too late to be posting anything coherent... seems to illustrate the significance of home games, how else can anyone explain NU beating Creighton on their last couple visits to the Bob??

Ask biluejay-sker, he's the one talking time frames.

all I was alluding to was the fact that NU won 19 games last season, while this year has been much tougher - in what is a challenging basketball conference.

Sorry, herbie. NU won SEVEN games last year in a challenging conference. And that was an OUTSTANDING season for Doc.

Their other 12 wins?

South Dakota
Arkansas Pine Bluff
USC (terrible program)
Hofstra
Jackson State
Creighton (nothing to brag about last year)
Alcorn St.
TCU (11-22 last year)
Eastern Washington
Grambling
North Dakota
Savannah St.

Sorry...that's pitiful.

Probably too late to save this thread but does anyone have any other prospects for "cinderella" this year?

Couple others...San Diego State. LBSU too...they have a really really good PG and a very athletic team that can get out and run...they could cause just about anybody some problems.

Sorry, herbie. NU won SEVEN games last year in a challenging conference. And that was an OUTSTANDING season for Doc.

the jabs just keep on coming :rolleyes:... evidently struck a nerve?

McDermott never won 7 conference games in any of his four B12 seasons, yet has stockpiled double digit conference victories in the Valley (UNI & CU).... coincidence?

the jabs just keep on coming :rolleyes:... evidently struck a nerve?

McDermott never won 7 conference games in any of his four B12 seasons, yet has stockpiled double digit conference victories in the Valley (UNI & CU).... coincidence?

Somewhat unrelated.

1. McDermott obviously had the good fortune of having his son turn out to be an all-american. Nobody saw that coming.

2. He inherited a team with some pretty good talent relative to the Missouri Valley.

3. I'm not sure what he had at ISU coming in or in his own recruiting. As I recall there were a lot of defections.

4. I like Greg McDermott a lot. He seems like a really good guy (as does Doc, by the way). But that will only go so far. I was hard on him last year because I felt like they underachieved. Seemed too enamored with slow-it-down, 1/2 court offense. Granted it was his first year and, as we learned this year, it was a fractured locker room. Positive things I see is that he adapted to what THIS team's make-up lends itself to...more up tempo. But I also acknowledge that he was blessed with a son that can play some ball. I will reserve total judgement on him for a few years...I don't think he has any more kids in the pipeline.

5. I also like that he's humble. He admitted that he made some mistakes while at ISU. He didn't blame circumstance, facilities, administrators. He took it on his shoulders. Like many that go from MM to "power conferences" he may not have totally understood how to handle it. It goes beyond just recruiting better players. You have to be able to relate to them in a different way than you relate to a kid like Kyle Korver or Anthony Tolliver who came in with no offers from any real big time basketball programs...and are willing to work their tails off to get better. While I can't stand Calipari I can admire what he does....it cannot be easy to get the egos he recuits and get them to gel into a national title favorite in under 1 year like he seems to do every year.

Then again...some guys are just Mid Major coaches.

And Jabs? That wasn't a jab. It was reality. Last season's schedule was puffed up by 12 wins against bad basketball teams.

Last edited:
McDermott never won 7 conference games in any of his four B12 seasons,

To expand on that point...McDermott was about to be run out of town too. ISU doesn't mess around. They take basketball seriously and EXPECT to win. And they don't have a fancy arena and their basketball success pre-dates the practice facility that was opened a couple years ago.

Temple also has a very nice win over Wichita State -- in the San Juan Shootout -- under their belt. AND... the Owls beat Duke. Those are two huge wins.

Fran Dunphy is a great coach -- and has been for many years now. Long time coach at Penn (who beat Nebraska in the '94 NCAA first round)... went on to replace John Chaney at Temple and will be leading his Owls to their 5th straight NCAA Tournament this season. Last year, Temple made the Sweet Sixteen -- and they've played better this season. A 7-seed last year (as an at large). I think they'll be seeded higher this season. RPI is currently 16.

Last edited:
no pressure Ohio, but you're the remaining cinderella (aside from the two remaining basketball only A-10 schools)

can't consider an ACC team with 22 wins a cinderella. :2cents:

As an 11-seed... considering NC State has only had 1 other Sweet Sixteen since 1989... I would consider them a Cinderella. 20 wins (even 22) doesn't mean that much anymore. They've won four games in the ACC and NCAA Tournament to give them that total. The 1983 NC State team was a 6-seed -- and they are widely considered a Cinderella.

Being an ACC team doesn't automatically qualify you as good... sure didn't help Nebraska in the Big 12/Big Ten.

As an 11-seed... considering NC State has only had 1 other Sweet Sixteen since 1989... I would consider them a Cinderella. 20 wins (even 22) doesn't mean that much anymore. They've won four games in the ACC and NCAA Tournament to give them that total. The 1983 NC State team was a 6-seed -- and they are widely considered a Cinderella.

Being an ACC team doesn't automatically qualify you as good... sure didn't help Nebraska in the Big 12/Big Ten.

:confused: ... perhaps with most of the mid majors gone, it stands to reason to look at the low seeds in the never ending search for a sentimental underdog. :p

I just have a hard time considering a two time National Championship program a cinderella, then again a couple of my all-time favorite BBall players hail from the wolfpack - Monte Towe & David Thompson

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back