• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mickey's tryout. How many wins does he need?

If he went 5-3, that would be a pretty amazing feat under these circumstances. I don’t think it’d be enough for him to be named the HC here, but it’d definitely land him a HC job elsewhere, so he could work on building up his experience.

Or, keeping him on the staff and mentored by a seasoned HC would be pretty cool too. Don’t see hit happening, though.

What does Mickey need to do to get serious consideration? How many wins does he need?
I am not going to hold OU against Mickey. He had 5 days to get the team prepared for the number 6 team in the country. What happened is pretty easy to understand.

So IMO, this is an 8 game tryout, starting next week.
He has 3 weeks to get these guys ready for Indiana, at Home.
If he wants this job, that needs to be a W.
In fact of the next four games: Indiana, at Rutgers, at Purdue and Illinois. I think he needs to win 3 of those 4.

Then the tough stretch comes. Does he have the team cranked up and playing with confidence when the Gophers come to town?

Minnesota, at Michigan, Wisconsin and at Iowa.

I think he needs to at least split these four. Sounds like a miracle at this point, doesn't it.

Good luck MJ!

Go 5-3 in these 8 games and I think you have to consider him as a serious candidate. I am not saying he gets the job, but Trev would have to think about it.
I don't think Mickey will be given serious consideration, unless we go bowling. Anything short of a miracle, Trev has his eyes on other cadidates IMO.

I don't know that it's 100% up to Mickey. I guess winning out might do it for sure. The rest, I think, depends on who we offer and who accepts. If TA wants Aranda as the #1 choice and he says yes, Mickey could win 9 games and I don't think it's going to matter. If we strike out on our first or second pick, Mickey likely moves up pretty quickly depending on how the season goes.

If Mickey Joseph can win 5 of the next 8 games than I think you have to strongly consider him for the job. That would get Nebraska to a bowl game.

That is not out of the realm of possibility. To do this Nebraska must for sure beat Indiana and Rutgers. These 2 teams are probably the weakest 2 left on the schedule. After that you just keep improving and see what happens.

I am also not 100% sure that he wants the job. He has been a career assistant and may be very happy doing that.

Last edited:

What does Mickey need to do to get serious consideration? How many wins does he need?
I am not going to hold OU against Mickey. He had 5 days to get the team prepared for the number 6 team in the country. What happened is pretty easy to understand.

In fact of the next four games: Indiana, at Rutgers, at Purdue and Illinois. I think he needs to win 3 of those 4.

Then the tough stretch comes. Does he have the team cranked up and playing with confidence when the Gophers come to town?

I think he needs to at least split these four. Sounds like a miracle at this point, doesn't it.

Good luck MJ!

Go 5-3 in these 8 games and I think you have to consider him as a serious candidate. I am not saying he gets the job, but Trev would have to think about it.
There isn't a specific number. Mickey would have to show culture change and buy-in to what he is doing to gain consideration. Ideally, that would translate to wins, but how many isn't completely controllable.

I don't think he is going to get much of a look (just gut feeling). Unless he went on an absolute tear, I think they are going to go with someone who is more established.

If he is interested in keeping the head job, you give him an interview, though. I just think they are going to go with someone who has more of a track record, especially with a multi-year, multi million dollar deal on the line.

Good luck MJ!

I am so glad Mickey is here and I’m rooting for him, but I don’t think there is much of a realistic chance he will get the job. If he performs well enough to deserve to go to the front of the line, I believe it will be obvious. It shouldn’t be tied to some arbitrary number of wins. It’s a lot more about how organized he gets the staff, getting the players to play hard, and proving he can implement game plans that will hold up against other talented Big 10 coaching staffs.

I’m curious at how he would recruit as a head coach. If he could attract talent like he has at receiver, but more broadly, he would have a chance. But you need to have some good assurance that he won’t end up like John Blake: talented recruits but weak on strategy and organization. Mickey has some advantages Blake never had, especially with experienced and successful coaches in the family. But you’d prefer a guy like him to have a stop as a head coach in Division 1 somewhere prior to this. He is going to be managing things much bigger than he has in the past.

It would be a fairy tale if he can whip this team into looking well coached: organized and motivated. I think that would equal being competitive within the division. Regardless of whether he earns the permanent head coach job, I hope they find a way to keep in in a prominent role on the staff.

MJ will not be seriously considered, we absolutely must go after a proven head coach, period!

EDIT: Ok, the only way is to win out.

Last edited:
Sadly, I don't think we win another game this year. Mickey will get another shot somewhere down the road.
Next week will be telling. If we can't beat Indiana at home, then we are probably staring at 1-11. If we beat Indiana, there could be some other wins out there.

I wonder if Trev and Mickey have had an honest conversation, something like Mickey I have 3 candidates in mind for the job because of these reasons, if they fall through and you get us bowl eligible, you are next on the list. I am just curious how up front Trev is.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back