• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mickey GETS IT

36Blast

Chop Block Connoisseur
5 Year Member
I know some have downplayed the issues we've had locally. But it is great to see that Mickey not only recognizes the issues we've had, but is attacking it with gusto. Should have never been like this, but it is nice to read Omaha is getting the attention it deserves. He may turn out to be the most important/most impactful coach on this team. Maybe the most impactful in quite awhile.

Question for those who may know...

I was under the impression Ruud was responsible for local recruiting. Has his region/responsibilities changed? I haven't read anything about this.

I know some have downplayed the issues we've had locally. But it is great to see that Mickey not only recognizes the issues we've had, but is attacking it with gusto. Should have never been like this, but it is nice to read Omaha is getting the attention it deserves. He may turn out to be the most important/most impactful coach on this team. Maybe the most impactful in quite awhile.

I was under the impression Ruud was responsible for local recruiting. Has his region/responsibilities changed? I haven't read anything about this.

Mebbe the next head coach?

(Did I say that out loud?)

We've had posters on here pointing out how bad the current regime has been in Omaha/Lincoln, to wit: losing top instate recruits.

Now we get the truth: MJ putting in effort and making an impression. If things had been done correctly to begin with, there would not be an impression to make. Glad to see that the coaching staff looks to be figuring it out in year 5.

GREAT question about Ruud. You’d think as a previous in-state recruit, he’d see the value in recruiting the area.

What's happened or not the previous 4 years with instate recruiting seems to now being addressed. Probably take a couple seasons to get things on track but sounds like MJ is going to make it a priority. I'd love to see a productive 2022 season with 7 or 8 wins and finally have something positive to build on.

GREAT question about Ruud. You’d think as a previous in-state recruit, he’d see the value in recruiting the area.
Do you know that Ruud didn't "see the value in the recruiting area?"

Maybe Mickey's just more compatible personality-wise with recruiting responsibilities. It's a bit of a sales job, isn't it - you can learn techniques but some folk are just naturally better at it because of their personality - outgoing, friendly, etc. And who assigned MJ to the Omaha area? Yep, Frost did - sometimes just a change in personnel can make a difference there, too.

Of course, the hope is that MJ has the coaching skills to keep his unit producing during the season - I'm pretty sure he does. We know Ruud does. We need them both.

It's fair to say some have downplayed and some have exaggerated, especially in last years cycle.

I'm not going to beat the dead horse, but we're never going to get every D1 prospect from Omaha, nor do we likely want them all. That said, it seems the perception was whomever was face to with Omaha area coaches wasn't getting much traction. I don't remember if it was Ruud or a combination of coaches. I don't remember hearing. Don't know if that was due to the individual coach(s), the program success of late or what, but we had a down year in Omaha last year. It happens.

Joseph being face to face with them seems to be making some headway in a hurry and that's really all that matters now. Hopefully we'll get better traction moving forward with the kids we want who're also interested in playing for Nebraska.

My guess is Trev gets it. I would bet that part of the plan that Scott was asked to lay out was to include how we get things right in a Omaha and who is going to be the face of that from the new staff. No matter what the issues were a new start was needed and it looks like Mickey was the wise choice to lead the effort.

These coaching changes should have happened two years ago. Now I'm finally excited for the future. May not happen this year but I am more optimistic I've been for a long time that we'll get significantly better soon.
You could have left off the first sentence.

Notable that Joseph coached at Omaha North, so he has some experience that Omaha coaches may respond to. I'd be shocked if he doesn't have some personal relationships already with some of these guys.

The disappointment of the last group of Omaha 4-stars snubbing NU notwithstanding, the narrative has taken on a legendary stature that ignores the early success in bringing the top Omaha prospects (including a couple highly sought players from Burke) in the first year or two. I suspect the level of success on the field has the biggest impact on attracting local players. It has been an obstacle.

But new coaching staff, new enthusiasm. Now lets just see new results and I bet we won't hear about a fracture with Omaha contacts again.

Why? If it’s how he feels it’s his opinion and right to voice it. It’s not overly negative or pessimistic. It’s just an opinion shared by many.
We‘ve seen this posted. We know changes could have, not should have, been made before, but they weren’t. What does repeating that he wishes changes were made previously add to the discussion?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back