• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Michigan's Harbaugh

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
He's getting a lot of grief lately. Yet he's got a .696 winning percentage at Michigan, and that school has some reasonably tough standards for admission and produces a good diploma for its graduates.

At Stanford, (another academic school) he took a 1-11 team and in his fourth year there won 12 games.

His record at Michigan is 69 and 48, even counting the lousy start this year.

Granted, they paid him a ton of money to come and win them all, and in particular beat OSU. That may have been unrealistic. While I can't find the citation for this statement, I have heard that OSU has about 15 5 star players on its roster and the rest of the BIG has 10. I suspect that is close to the truth.

Getting a coach that going to get you a better record over 10 years at a school like Michigan will be a crapshoot. sometimes he is a weird duck, but he wins a lot of games every year.

Next year, Wolverines at Huskers, October 30. Harbaugh still in charge?

I think he'll be gone. I'm guessing he takes an NFL job. It's an easy out for both parties. His contract is about up. It would be a wildly unpopular move to extend him. I do think Michigan is playing with fire if they let him go. Hiring coaches makes shooting craps look like a sure thing. They've been good under Harbaugh, they just haven't been Ohio State level good, but not many schools have. You always run the risk of a Riley hire.

Last edited:

Rehire Brady Hoke :Biggrin:

pope.png

I agree that he would probably be a better pro coach (he was a good one before) than a college coach, but either way, he wins a lot of games.

Last edited:
He's a fixer not a sustainer. His attitude won't allow long term success anywhere IMO. He can come in, burn things down, and rebuild them quickly. But after a short period (4 years or so) people are over him and he can't sustain success.

Bo Pelini
Yep, same personality.

There's a place for those people. It's not a knock really, most people aren't both types. That red hot ability to whip people to follow you and to do whatever it is you think is best long term consequences be damned can be amazing to watch. But it all wears very thin quickly.

I think he gets a pass this year. Very little about the 2020 season remotely resembles "normal". Next year, if everything is back on track in the world, will be a different story.

I think he gets a pass this year. Very little about the 2020 season remotely resembles "normal". Next year, if everything is back on track in the world, will be a different story.
I doubt he'll be around next year. No extension on his contract, things are going horrible, there's really no real reason to think next year will be any better, and some nfl team will come calling.

He's getting a lot of grief lately. Yet he's got a .696 winning percentage at Michigan, and that school has some reasonably tough standards for admission and produces a good diploma for its graduates.

At Stanford, (another academic school) he took a 1-11 team and in his fourth year there won 12 games.

His record at Michigan is 69 and 48, even counting the lousy start this year.

Granted, they paid him a ton of money to come and win them all, and in particular beat OSU. That may have been unrealistic. While I can't find the citation for this statement, I have heard that OSU has about 15 5 star players on its roster and the rest of the BIG has 10. I suspect that is close to the truth.

Getting a coach that going to get you a better record over 10 years at a school like Michigan will be a crapshoot. sometimes he is a weird duck, but he wins a lot of games every year.
His record at Michigan is 69-48? Or does that include his wins and losses at Stanford?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back