• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Michigan State

Yep.

The offense almost completely runs through Martinez. And to his credit, he's been playing some of his best football the past three games. But I want to see how well it applies against Big Ten competition. OU is not like Big Ten teams. The Sooners are more like Nebraska (but with more talent). And I don't think OU would fair nearly as well in the Big Ten as they do in the Big 12.

Frost is 9-18 against Big Ten teams. Are we now capable of being an improved team against Big Ten competition? I'm interested to see.
He is our leading passer and leading rusher, does anyone see a problem with that?

I hope Frost comes up with a solid game plan this week. With how the offense has been struggling, I think they should cut the playbook down considerably, run straight plays without much reads and practice those plays against multiple fronts/schemes until they master it.

With the number of mistakes consistently made, I have to believe there are too many reads on each play and/or the players are coming out tentative as they are reading and reacting instead of just executing. Give them 10-15 running plays and 10-15 passing plays to execute and practice them over and over in practice until it is mastered. They should have enough film on Michigan State to figure out the best 25 plays to run to exploit their defense. And more importantly the best 25 plays that the offense can execute

I think they should move the young tackles to guard and let the backups - Ezra Miller, Prochaszka and Banks rotate in as tackles. The O-line play has been less than impressive and shaking it up sure would not hurt. Play two tight ends as much as possible to help out with blocking. Also start Betts and Manning at WR with Brown and Nixon as second string, assuming Martin is still out. Got to love the fight of Liewer and Falk, but they don't produce much. Get the playmakers on the field.

Frost said he wanted one running back, but continues to rotate them in and out. I would go with Sevion Morrison as cowbell and Johnson as backup, as they have seemed to run it the hardest. I wouldn't mind seeing some wildcat and QB designed draws being called. As a counter fake the draw or do a flea flicker and throw deep to Manning, Betts, Nixon or Brown.

On defense I think the CB's are going to have to be play one on one and allow the safeties to come down and stop the run. Feel like they will have to play 8 in the box to stop the Spartans. Not sure if the soft zone will do much in this game. Make them beat you with passing game

Special teams. I think you have to rely on Culp. Even though he has missed 5 already, he is still the best kicker and has missed some close ones. On kickoff returns, just call the fair catch. Can't recall a decent kickoff return yet. Punt returns - go with Alante Brown. He seems to have pretty good moves. I think he would be a great returner.

IT HAS BEEN SAID, LET IT BE DONE! Nebraska 31 Michigan State 21

Yep.

The offense almost completely runs through Martinez. And to his credit, he's been playing some of his best football the past three games. But I want to see how well it applies against Big Ten competition. OU is not like Big Ten teams. The Sooners are more like Nebraska (but with more talent). And I don't think OU would fair nearly as well in the Big Ten as they do in the Big 12.

Frost is 9-18 against Big Ten teams. Are we now capable of being an improved team against Big Ten competition? I'm interested to see.
OU is 3-1 against the B1G in the 2000's, including a win at Ohio State in 2017. Losing to them the following year. OU is 12-7 vs the B1G since 1917, including 1 toe, and they are 2-0 against the B1G in bowl games.

So, they haven't played the B1G much, but when they have, they've won more often than lost. Still, a hard claim to make that OU wouldn't fair as well without more recent evidence.

He is our leading passer and leading rusher, does anyone see a problem with that?
I don't think it's necessarily a "problem" other than it's putting almost all your eggs in one basket. Sure, other teams are in the same boat and that's kind of the way the game has developed. I know I'd feel a lot better if the o line and rb's were able to provide the ability to get some yards just by handing off or light zone read. I'm not talking about 350 yards a game like back in the day. We've been averaging around 200 lately but AM has accounted for the largest share of that. A couple of running backs able to gain the majority of rushing yards would help. Maybe we'll get that this year? I don't know, but we should have it.

Bring back Richie Incognito. Literally 2 games I remember against MSU is us crushing them when Saban was coach and when RIchie started spitting in folks faces the year Solich got fired and Bo coached the bowl game.
INCOGNITO

My concern going forward is our lack of a run game. As we know, Martinez has been our top rusher this season -- and even he was shut down yesterday. We exploited OU's porous pass defense beautifully. But that was on a day with ideal weather conditions for throwing the ball against a team that hasn't been able to stop the pass for a long time (great against the run, rotten against the pass).

What happens when typical fall weather in the Plains and Midwest kicks in with a strong, cold wind? That's when teams like Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota -- and now even Michigan State -- shine. I am pleased we have a defense to keep us in a lot of ball games. But I'm concerned what we saw offensively yesterday isn't necessarily going to translate well going forward.

Do we really want Martinez to continue to carry the ball 12-15 times per game all season? But if not, who in the heck can we rely on at RB. Ervin is likely gone for quite a while (if not the rest of the season). Stepp didn't record a single carry yesterday. It's a mishmash at RB with zero consistency. And again, an offense line that I'm concerned is getting poorly coached.

I think we have a running game. We just don’t get many yards.

According to HIO Nebraska should have won every game for the last 20 years. :Rolf:
I only say that about the games NU SHOULD have won. The Frost era is littered with them. Yes, shoulda, woulda, coulda beat OU last week. Colorado X2, Indiana and many others. Don’t believe me? Go take a look. In order to stop the shoulda, woulda, coulda’s, you have to play sound football and don’t beat yourself. Nebraska is a master at that. If people took an in depth look at Frosts record, they would see it.

I think we have a running game. We just don’t get many yards.
It reminds me of my old band-mate when we were at a gig. A guy in the crowd yelled: "Do you take requests?" My friend replied: "We will take requests, we just won't play them"..... :Biggrin: Seriously though, I like that Frost has shown more of a commitment to stick with the run, but we need a little more production. If the OL could create a little more space to increase the YPC average, we might not pop big plays right and left, but we could sustain drives a little more effectively.

We have been decent against the run—-this season and last. I think if we can reduce our dumb mistakes, we have a very good chance. I’ve never ever feared any Mich St team.
We have yet to play a team this year that wants to run the ball. The sooners were gouging us at what seemed like 10 yards a clip but never stuck with it… as if they where using the game as a practice metric

MSU will be a good barometer for our run defense.

We have yet to play a team this year that wants to run the ball. The sooners were gouging us at what seemed like 10 yards a clip but never stuck with it… as if they where using the game as a practice metric

MSU will be a good barometer for our run defense.
It’s because Nebraska wanted OU to run. They dropped into coverage as to not give up big plays. It was brilliant what they did. Also, OU used clock running the ball, and shortened the game even more. Expect others to follow. Lowest point total in like 65 games or so for them. It gave them a chance to win the game, but they didn’t take advantage of the opportunities they had. I’d imagine NU to be more committed to stopping the run tonight. Make them beat you with the pass.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back