• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Michigan State

our 4 most win-able games left are Mich St, Minn, Purd, NW, the 1st two, we many be 2-3 point underdog, the last 2, we may be 6 point fav. all are close enuf to win or lose, but we gotta have em all. I would hate for us to go into the last 3 games of Oh St, Wisc, Iowa, needing to win 1 just to get to 6 wins.

My concern going forward is our lack of a run game. As we know, Martinez has been our top rusher this season -- and even he was shut down yesterday. We exploited OU's porous pass defense beautifully. But that was on a day with ideal weather conditions for throwing the ball against a team that hasn't been able to stop the pass for a long time (great against the run, rotten against the pass).

What happens when typical fall weather in the Plains and Midwest kicks in with a strong, cold wind? That's when teams like Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota -- and now even Michigan State -- shine. I am pleased we have a defense to keep us in a lot of ball games. But I'm concerned what we saw offensively yesterday isn't necessarily going to translate well going forward.

Do we really want Martinez to continue to carry the ball 12-15 times per game all season? But if not, who in the heck can we rely on at RB. Ervin is likely gone for quite a while (if not the rest of the season). Stepp didn't record a single carry yesterday. It's a mishmash at RB with zero consistency. And again, an offense line that I'm concerned is getting poorly coached.

Last edited:
My concern going forward is our lack of a run game. As we know, Martinez has been our top rusher this season -- and even he was shut down yesterday. We exploited OU's porous pass defense beautifully. But that was on a day with ideal weather conditions for throwing the ball against a team that hasn't been able to stop the pass for a long time (great against the run, rotten against the pass).

What happens when typical fall weather in the Plains and Midwest kicks in with a strong, cold wind? That's when teams like Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota -- and now even Michigan State -- shine. I am pleased we have a defense to keep us in a lot of ball games. But I'm concerned what we saw offensively yesterday isn't necessarily going to translate well going forward.

Do we really want Martinez to continue to carry the ball 12-15 times per game all season? But if not, who in the heck can we rely on at RB. Ervin is likely gone for quite a while (if not the rest of the season). Stepp didn't record a single carry yesterday. It's a mishmash at RB with zero consistency. And again, an offense line that I'm concerned is getting poorly coached.

Agree.....If we don't get the O-Line, running game, and kicker sorted out, bowl eligibility might be tough.

They're going to have to improve. If they don't the problem will be glaring.

It looks that way. They will hammer away for sure. Need to be ready. The Walker kid is a very good back. Better than what OU has.
Lets keep things in perspective regarding MSU. Miami is ranked 102 in total D which doesn't get a whole lot worse. So yea MSU ran on them but so have other teams. We just held the #6 scoring offense to 23 points so I believe we can limit MSU vaunted offense. I honestly do not believe MSU has a more talanted offense then the Swooners. They beat 2 pretty lousy teams (NW and YTS) and then upset Miami which I suspect was over rated. Their D is ranked 82 which is nothing to write home about imo. Bottom line it's team we should beat which of course what I said about IL who flat out suck. lol

None of the team's they have played have a winning record this season

Northwestern is plain terrible this year and Miami is not much better and Youngstown State an FCS school is coming off of a 1-6.season and has not had a winning season since 2017

Oh their kicker is 2 for 5 on FGs so we have something in common

Agree though a big game

Lets keep things in perspective regarding MSU. Miami is ranked 102 in total D which doesn't get a whole lot worse. So yea MSU ran on them but so have other teams. We just held the #6 scoring offense to 23 points so I believe we can limit MSU vaunted offense. I honestly do not believe MSU has a more talanted offense then the Swooners. They beat 2 pretty lousy teams (NW and YTS) and then upset Miami which I suspect was over rated. Their D is ranked 82 which is nothing to write home about imo. Bottom line it's team we should beat which of course what I said about IL who flat out suck. lol

You and I agree see my post above

I detest Sparty, but I don't think this matchup looks good for us.

Then again I thought we'd lose to Buffalo and get de-pantsed by OU.

None of the team's they have played have a winning record this season

Northwestern is plain terrible this year and Miami is not much better and Youngstown State an FCS school is coming off of a 1-6.season and has not had a winning season since 2017

Oh their kicker is 2 for 5 on FGs so we have something in common

Agree though a big game
Husker fans have been burned so many times I can understand to some extent all the negative vibes. Having said that looking closely at MSU they have won a single game against a decent opponent. It's a game Huskers can win if don't gift wrap it like we've been doing. They aren't anywhere close to the over all talent level of OK imo.

Husker fans have been burned so many times I can understand to some extent all the negative vibes. Having said that looking closely at MSU they have won a single game against a decent opponent. It's a game Huskers can win if don't gift wrap it like we've been doing. They aren't anywhere close to the over all talent level of OK imo.

Agree on all

If am keeps up with not turning the ball and defense doesn’t fall flat we win this game. Would like to see one of the running backs take the next step and become the leader. We win this game hands down.

For Michigan State, it's all about their run game. In particular, Kenneth Walker -- a transfer from Wake Forest. He's #1 nationally in total rushing yards. (BTW, Greg Bell is #4 nationally.)

In three games, Walker has rushed for nearly 500 yards (493, to be exact). Averaging 8.6 yards per carry. For comparison, that's more yards than all of our running backs combined in four games (not three).

Go Aztecs!

C

True. Although Nebraska hasn't won a single game against a decent opponent either. We actually haven't beaten a single ranked opponent since 2016 or a single opponent that finished with a winning record since 2018.

So it might be fair to say next Saturday's game in East Lansing will be to determine which team is the contender and which team is the pretender.

If am keeps up with not turning the ball and defense doesn’t fall flat we win this game. Would like to see one of the running backs take the next step and become the leader. We win this game hands down.
It doesn't matter which RB "takes" the job if the OL can't open up holes. The Nebraska OL definitely did not show on Saturday that they're better than they were against Illinois. MSU's defensive front four features a RS senior, two RS juniors and a graduate transfer from Tennessee.

Other than a RS freshman who starts at MIKE, MSU's defense is very experienced. I have no doubt their DC will put in some looks designed to confuse AM and Frost just like Bielema did. Unless the OL take an extremely unlikely step forward in practice this week, it doesn't matter who starts at RB. Nebraska's rushing attack will still be AM running for his life on broken plays.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back