• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Michigan State Opens as 3 Point Favorite (Home Field Advantage)

Might I add that I do not believe penalties stalled a single drive (there may have been one drive stalled but not important enough for me to do the research). Now I am not saying that we don't need to clean them up but it bewilders me when I see people say that penalties costed us that game. Yes, I understand more plays were needed but we were not halted by penalties.
I believe you are correct. 4 penalties on the 1st drive and we still kicked a FG. The reason for our somewhat dismal performance was the O-line and Special Teams, specifically the kicker. It says a lot when a true FR tackle (Teddy) is pushing his way up the depth chart towards other 2-3 year FR. Patience is what is needed just not sure how much patience is left for Frost from the administration. I actually like the way Frost is calling the offense this year. More TE, moving Teddy to a blocking TE, trying to establish a running game, throwing more downfield, etc. Only took him until his 4th year but he finally swallowed some pride and realized Oregon/UCF offense wouldn't work 100% in the B1G.

So what do you know about Michigan State? Fans tend to key in on their own issues good and bad and gloss over the other side

It's not only Vegas who is not sold on Michigan State. They have played three teams none with a winning record

This might be Fitz worst team at Northwestern

Miami is a shadow of its glory years. Only win was against Application State 25-23. Their defense is not good with run defense ranked 106

Youngstown State has not had a Winning season since 2017 and were 1-6 last year

Those are their wins

They have not faced a defense like we have and it is not even close

Giving up 15 points a game

Held OU to their lowest game point total since 2016

I could go on

Good discussion
Husker coaching staff had their team well prepared on both sides of the ball against Oklahoma if they do the same against Michigan State it could be fun to watch. They’ll have to maintain their gap against the run and they understand that.

I believe you are correct. 4 penalties on the 1st drive and we still kicked a FG. The reason for our somewhat dismal performance was the O-line and Special Teams, specifically the kicker. It says a lot when a true FR tackle (Teddy) is pushing his way up the depth chart towards other 2-3 year FR. Patience is what is needed just not sure how much patience is left for Frost from the administration. I actually like the way Frost is calling the offense this year. More TE, moving Teddy to a blocking TE, trying to establish a running game, throwing more downfield, etc. Only took him until his 4th year but he finally swallowed some pride and realized Oregon/UCF offense wouldn't work 100% in the B1G.

At least not yet,he doesn’t have the right people to run it in the Big Ten.

I posted this in another thread. I don't know how good Sparty is because they haven't played a good team yet. Miami was overrated. I don't say that to diminish a win (if we win), but rather that I really believe NU can and should win this game.

NEGATIVES:

Michigan State gave up 52 yards rushing to Miami and 117 to Northwestern. I think the chances are low this is the game the RB running game will break out. Still, we do have a past history of running on MSU when no one else does.

They have a lot of "belief" and swagger having solidly beat last years West Division Champs (though we believe a shell of last years team) and ran all over preseason #14 Miami at Miami. Not too much difference in Alabama - Miami score vs MSU - Miami (though Alabama was all over Miami and let up versus MSU and Miami were close until MSU blew open in fourth quarter.

Appear to have one of the better RBs in Walker.

Thorne is very efficient with minimal turnovers and their defense is good at taking them away. Nailor pretty good WR.

Officiating - I know it sounds like whining but really we went almost 2 years without an opponent holding call 2016-2018. Last year none in the first 5 games and this year hardly any when i can see our line being held practically all the time. All that while we get crazy penalties on scoring plays. Insanity to expect we get a fairly called game? Home crowd only puts more pressure on officials to make calls for home team.

They are at home hosting us on a night game on TV.

POSITIVES:

Pass defense has been their weakness (maybe just because no one can run so they have to pass) and Martinez is (aside form Illinois) throwing the ball very well. Beautiful deep balls to Betts, Toure and Martin this year.

Our QB Run game may add the wrinkle to open up some RB runs more than they have seen so far.

Our defense is probably the best defense they have faced this year. If they get 21 can we get more.

We seem to have their number. If that is a real thing.

OU game should have positive impact on our belief that we can play with anyone. Only drawback is if we don't give MSU the respect they are due and get ready for a slobber knocker.
Both teams are going into this game with confidence. They beat Miami and the Huskers took Oklahoma to the wire. I believe they have little respect for Nebraska while the Huskers and their staff have a ton of respect for them.
Preparation by the coaches could be the difference Saturday.

I posted this in another thread. I don't know how good Sparty is because they haven't played a good team yet. Miami was overrated. I don't say that to diminish a win (if we win), but rather that I really believe NU can and should win this game.

Great, please post more.

With small RB's I am not sure they can handle the pounding of the B1G defenses. I think we need to get more powerful and bigger backs involved. Mich St has not shown a big play offense and we need to stop the run and it really limits the offense.

Miami had zero ground game against MSU and it cost them. If we can’t establish a run game against them it will be a tough night.

I used to feel that way about establishing the run game, but don't feel that way anymore. Three quick runs and we get ready to punt and our defense has to return to the field. That doesn't even take into account penalties.

If you mean runs or run-like passes then I might agree with you. The problem there is that AM seems to be able to have better results with big yardage passes than with swing passes or other run like passes.

I've come to the postion, therefore, that maybe, wierd as it seems, we may be better off trying for long yardage plays regularly.

I don't think there is a lage contingent of Husker fans that have reached the same conclusion.

The MSU/Thug game was fairly close until turnovers had MSU pull away.

Miamis defense was very aggressive to the qb and they couldnt seal the ends. Add poor tackling, not only the MSU RB was slipping tackles.

MSU is good, and we can beat them

If I have learnt anything in the last 3+ years of Husker football, it is that the prior weeks performance (more often than not when good) absolutely cannot be used with any accuracy to predict how this week's performance will play out.

There have been way too many 'turning point' games, seasons...
See, that’s the thing. There are no “turning point games”. Every week is a new challenge. There is way more parity now then during the 80s and 90s. And it’s even more the case in the B1G

Miami had zero ground game against MSU and it cost them. If we can’t establish a run game against them it will be a tough night.
Agreed. We haven't been able to get the run game going against Illinois, Buffalo, or OU. I hope something clicks on Saturday night.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back