• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Michael Rose Sr: Husker Dad Walks The Line Between Father and Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Very nice read....

And herein lies the conflict within me: the duality of being a fan and a father.

There’s a unique transition that takes place within me during a Huskers football game. When I wake up in the morning of a game day, all I can think of is Michael. I’m hoping he’s mentally focused, confident in knowing his assignments and most importantly that he stays healthy. I send him the same text message: “Play fast. Play violent. Be a playmaker. You were built for this!!! I love you and I’m proud of you.â€

I tell myself it’s important for him to see or hear me before the games, so while other parents are wrapping up their tailgating, I usually arrive at Memorial Stadium about an hour or so before kickoff. I gotta see how he warms up. I gotta lay eyes in him. I pray for his safety and success. Once the opening kick off gets on its way, I turn into the most rabbid, opinionated, passionate fan you may ever meet. Nobody is off limits from my thoughts and opinions about their performance during the game — NOBODY — including Michael. Admittedly, I’m probably harder on him than anybody else. I transition from father to fan.

Well worth a read: http://www.knowitallfootball.com/2013/12/23/husker-dad-walks-line-father-fan/

Last edited:

thanks for sharing

good article, although NU has actually appeared in 3 CCG's over the past 6 years.

thanks for sharing

good article, although NU has actually appeared in 3 CCG's over the past 6 years.

I saw that too... he must not be much of a fan. :lol:

-----------------------------

It was a good little article. I was curious what happened after Sr. finished high school- he must not have got a Nebraska offer (schollie or walk on). Anyway, he did a good job with Michael Jr. I've been impressed with Jr. since he was first recruited- mainly his attitude. Although his attitude has also translated into very good play this year.

Sr. did a good job on that Husker Roundtable last week too.

Last edited:
Being the parent of a player is very difficult...especially for someone who has played the game and truly understands the game. My children are now playing sports and its extremely difficult to not be one of those crazy parents. Just trying to keep that balance of keeping your child confident and positive when things don't go well while still giving 100% mental and physical effort. Its truly one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life. I can sympathize with Mr. Rose as his son is playing Div. 1 football in a football crazy environment.

Very nice read, brought a tear to my eye. My son plays College baseball and I can really relate to Mr. Rose.

"I tell myself it’s important for him to see or hear me before the games, so while other parents are wrapping up their tailgating, I usually arrive at Memorial Stadium about an hour or so before kickoff. I gotta see how he warms up. I gotta lay eyes in him. I pray for his safety and success. Once the opening kick off gets on its way, I turn into the most rabbid, opinionated, passionate fan you may ever meet. Nobody is off limits from my thoughts and opinions about their performance during the game — NOBODY — including Michael. Admittedly, I’m probably harder on him than anybody else. I transition from father to fan."

Very interesting coming from a father of a player as we have been told by some that the player are off limits because they might get their feelings hurt.
I agree that some go to far but it sounds like dad is right there with us and understands these are young men and should understand the difference.

just my :2cents:

I wish more of the "fans" had this perspective.

Fathers have a very hard time pushing their sons to reach their potential...they have much more invested in their sons than do fans or coaches, which is as it should be. It is silly to ask fans to have the same perspective as a player's father. Won't happen, anywhere or ever.

"I tell myself it’s important for him to see or hear me before the games, so while other parents are wrapping up their tailgating, I usually arrive at Memorial Stadium about an hour or so before kickoff. I gotta see how he warms up. I gotta lay eyes in him. I pray for his safety and success. Once the opening kick off gets on its way, I turn into the most rabbid, opinionated, passionate fan you may ever meet. Nobody is off limits from my thoughts and opinions about their performance during the game — NOBODY — including Michael. Admittedly, I’m probably harder on him than anybody else. I transition from father to fan."

Very interesting coming from a father of a player as we have been told by some that the player are off limits because they might get their feelings hurt.
I agree that some go to far but it sounds like dad is right there with us and understands these are young men and should understand the difference.

just my :2cents:

I think quoting the very next line (and the paragraph before) would have cleared up your misunderstanding. In the paragraph before he mentions that thru his closeness to the staff and players, it may be easier for him to "contain his frustrations". In the very next line after what you quoted, he says "Just as there's a transistion before the game, there is one after. From fan to father."

Who doesn't yell crap at the tv, question a coach's decision, or think some player is stinking up the field at times? That's normality for the "fan" inside Mr. Rose and all of us. The underlying tone seems to me to be that if we all feel so invested in the program, which he did long before his son played here, why not try to adopt a little of the "father" inside of Mr. Rose? He explains that these are still "kids playing a game" who are as hurt and prideful of Husker Nation as any of us. They are beat up but still wait to sign lines full of autographs while their families patiently sit by.

I don't think his point was "they should understand the difference" of our criticism at all. Common sense tells me they do understand it. I think clearly his point was "we can make a difference" by trying to adopt some of his father/fan transistion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back