• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Message from former player.

I could take the O-line from 94 or 95 TODAY, out of shape and overweight and whatever and put them against our current D-line and the EFFORT alone would scare the current d-line to death. I could take the D-line from 94-95 and put them against today's O-line and it would do the same thing. I just don't think that they see it. They just see who they practice against and then get stomped by on the weekends. During practice they make each other "look" good. But, it isn't the same.

I have said the same thing.

Last edited:
The role of the walk-on program is to fill the holes of recruiting misses, which average out at 50%.
Meaning, 50% of recruited players don’t ever contribute, for whatever reason.
Also, Walkons set the bar for hard work. If a scholarship player wants to play, he has to outwork the Walkon behind him, who will take earn the starting job, based on PERFORMANCE, in practice and in games.
Stars DO NOT matter. Actual performance does.

The role of the walk-on program is to fill the holes of recruiting misses, which average out at 50%.
Meaning, 50% of recruited players don’t ever contribute, for whatever reason.
Also, Walkons set the bar for hard work. If a scholarship player wants to play, he has to outwork the Walkon behind him, who will take earn the starting job, based on PERFORMANCE, in practice and in games.
Stars DO NOT matter. Actual performance does.
I don't see the walkons developing any faster than the scholarship players. Its a fundamental issue with this program that needs to be addressed and I believe Frost will address it. Will it be addressed soon enough? I don't know.

Brian Schuster is with Chris Dishman and 2 others.
2 hrs ·

Common theme with these people. Each of us including Kenny, Toby Wright and Holbein were just tougher than everyone we played. Stars matter at some skill positions but heart and toughness is what football is. Football is about burying the guy across from you. It's about making the other guy quit. It's about him tapping his helmet and letting his backup come get his whipping. Right now we have 3 years of a soft attitude to still overcome. Our leaders were recruited and told grand stories about just showing up and doing whatever to get to the NFL. That doesn't work. Theres a reason Saban coaches as hard and tough as he does.
My kids know you never get helped off the field. You crawl off if needed. Nobody sees you hurt. You make the other guy quit. You dont let your coaches, teammates, friends down. You dont sing on the bus after a loss. You dont smile for pictures after. You dont leave anything on the field. Period. You dont have to play dirty but you play to hurt people clean and get them to quit and you come play after play. Not just in the fall, but everyday. 3/5ths of our roster would enter the transfer portal the first time Scott grabbed a facemask. Kevin Steele used to tell me I was crap, I was soft, I needed to be tougher... He then went to Carolina and called me during the draft and told me how much respect he had for me and signed me to the Panthers.
Toby used to kill me everyday. EVERY DAY! The first thing he said when I saw him was that he loved me and hugged me like brothers. I havent seen him in 25 years basically. These guys were nasty and they hit me, buried me, jumped on me, pushed me in the dirt, held me down, and then let me know about it. Then did it again and again, every play of everyday. It was our mindset. You get tougher or you quit. We had lots of attrition, nobody talked much about that.
I was so afraid of letting my teammates and coaches down I played 5 stars above who I was. Can you imagine me looking at Tommie and telling him to deal with me being lazy and letting him get hit? Scott too. 37 cortisone shots in my neck and shoulders in one season. Broken collarbone and grade 4 separated shoulder. Didnt play one game but I was suited up and ready to go if needed. Played 8 games with that. Surgery wasnt an option. Joel and Billy had bad hamstrings. Coach Osborne told me no matter what, I could not come off the field in 3 games. That's when you see how tough you are.
Our entire staff is doing everything right. I've been there as a former player and a father of a recruit listening to their plan and daily activities. All of our pieces are in place to be great again. The toughness mindset is not a quick fix. You not only have lots of kids that play that never had it or will, they are leading our new recruits and that still permeates through the program for years.
There is something to be said about a freshman being terrified of walking through the varsity locker Room because of how nasty and physically intimidating our defense was.
It is comical to me that any fan on here would question anything that this that staff is doing and trying to overcome. Scott said it best, he sees how much weight these guys move in the weight room and the fact that they cant move a guy across from him is just what I've said. We have the right guy, the right staff, the right group. I promise you.

100%. I think this was lost under Riley more than anything. You can load up a roster fast in two years. You can build depth in three years. A culture of toughness is a tough nut to crack. I don’t like the way we are trending at the moment, but I’m giving Frost two years before I really critique the program.

They are walkons for a reason. The program will always be important for depth and to find the rare gem that was over looked. Most of our successful walkons in the past were linemen that took 3/4 years to grow and develop. I would assume the coaching staff selects starters as a result of head to head competition in practice. We do not have that luxury and assume the backup is better than the starter. Our current depth really hampers coaches options and I assume they tail back in practice in order to prevent further injuries. Linemen have to step it up but our tackles although big and strong are not agile enough to contain today's speed rushers. Time and recruiting will tell. You need the horses to run any offense. I remember when both BD and TO could not beat certain teams until they went out and recruited speed. I will always remain hopeful. GBR

I'm reminded of Frost's comments about building culture. I believe by the end of year 3/sometime in year 4, we'll see what his culture really looks like. Hopefully, we'll have enough talent and quality depth by then to win a reasonable number of games.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back