• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Memory Lane - 1975 Football Guide

OPHusker

Junior Varsity
20 Year Member
This was the first media guide I ever saw, purchased at a yard sale in the late 1970s. It was 232 pages, about 6 x 8 inches in size with only a few color photos included as an insert, remainder were B&W.

Thought the non conference schedule was interesting albeit at a different point in history, LSU, Indiana, TCU and Miami all at home. Also inside back cover was a summary of the upcoming MBB season which would include opening of Devaney!
F8B66BEC-721D-48DE-B243-B69897838FC2.jpeg
828E48D3-C8B2-4DA0-ABAA-C597272D25FE.jpeg
DC25E92E-1415-4383-84DA-4B2EF2730CD1.jpeg

I couldn't quite make out the table, so I recreated it below. I also added eventual Husker Bowl opponent, Arizona State:
5Jxl8b8.png

Note all the blacked out spaces during bowl season. Only Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, and Nebraska went bowling from the Big 8. What's more impressive about that, though, is that there were only 11 bowl games in 1975. The Big 8 featured in 4 of them. Looking through this bowl schedule, it's hard not to wish that we only had maybe 10-15 bowl games again. Try as I might, I just can never bring myself to care about some Potato Chip Bowl featuring a 6-6 MAC team against a 7-5 Sun Belt team. Part of me wishes we could go back to the days of every bowl game being a big name, heavyweight boxing match, but I realize the ESPN/TV money will never let go of their 67 "Everyone's A Winner" Bowls.

I also noticed that clear back in 1975, there was a lot of inter-conference play between the Big 8, SWC, and Big Ten. Obviously the Big 8 + SWC makes sense, given the eventual history of the Big XII. But Nebraska played Indiana, Kansas played Wisconsin, and Missouri played Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan in 3 straight games. Oklahoma eventually wound up in the Orange Bowl vs. Michigan as well. Maybe that's some foreshadowing of Kansas or Mizzou eventually joining the Big Ten.

Last edited:

I couldn't quite make out the table, so I recreated it below. I also added eventual Husker Bowl opponent, Arizona State:
5Jxl8b8.png

Note all the blacked out spaces during bowl season. Only Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, and Nebraska went bowling from the Big 8. What's more impressive about that, though, is that there were only 11 bowl games in 1975. The Big 8 featured in 4 of them. Looking through this bowl schedule, it's hard not to wish that we only had maybe 10-15 bowl games again. Try as I might, I just can never bring myself to care about some Potato Chip Bowl featuring a 6-6 MAC team against a 7-5 Sun Belt team. Part of me wishes we could go back to the days of every bowl game being a big name, heavyweight boxing match, but I realize the ESPN/TV money will never let go of their 67 "Everyone's A Winner" Bowls.

I also noticed that clear back in 1975, there was a lot of inter-conference play between the Big 8, SWC, and Big Ten. Obviously the Big 8 + SWC makes sense, given the eventual history of the Big XII. But Nebraska played Indiana, Kansas played Wisconsin, and Missouri played Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan in 3 straight games. Oklahoma eventually wound up in the Orange Bowl vs. Michigan as well. Maybe that's some foreshadowing of Kansas or Mizzou eventually joining the Big Ten.
NM :)

Last edited:
In seventh grade I wrote Bob Devaney a letter saying something like "please send me some information about you and your team." A week or two later, an envelope containing the 1966 media guide and a photo of him arrived in the mail.
I was a happy camper for sure. :Banana:

This is the one:

1966.png

In seventh grade I wrote Bob Devaney a letter saying something like "please send me some information about you and your team." A week or two later, an envelope containing the 1966 media guide and a photo of him arrived in the mail.
I was a happy camper for sure. :Banana:

This is the one:

1966.png

Very cool too

Last edited:

I remember it well. Those guides were a "lay awake at night" type of anticipation.

When I was a kid in the late 70's and into the 80's. We always got a media guide each year. Husker Illustrated put them out I believe. They were like a small paperback, a little bigger than a Readers Digest and about 150 pages.

I wish I still had them.

5Jxl8b8.png

Couldn’t agree more - scale back the # of bowls. Of course when the playoff expands, many bowls will become moot. They may disappear naturally.

I’d love us to play against the Big 12 and the SEC more in the regular schedule. Facing off against Mizzery again would be awesome.

I have a hand written letter from Rick Berns on my basement wall, I wrote him when I was maybe 7 years old. He was what I dreamed of being. Had a Tampa Bay duffle bag to carry (ugly orange) to school when we moved from where I started out. I still believe that the old days matter, if the older ones care and pass it down.

When I was a kid in the late 70's and into the 80's. We always got a media guide each year. Husker Illustrated put them out I believe. They were like a small paperback, a little bigger than a Readers Digest and about 150 pages.

I wish I still had them.
I have every one going back to 1969. Love looking through the old ones every once in a while. Would think the display would be impressive to others, but they mainly just think I'm a dork.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back