• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Memorial Stadium

It is not. Different (wider) in other parts of the stadium, including where some of the more modern upgrades have been.

Edit - guess this could vary, based on how standard is defined. It's not in line with other seats in the stadium, or other modern stadiums currently, but may have been the norm for its time.
Thanks. Thinking the row spacing may be problematic if proper seats are added.

I wonder if there would be room for individual seats ? The depth of the seat will even further limit people trying to move past you now. As is, its nearly impossible for someone to pass. I think the bençhes are closer than at most stadiums, when u think about the seats in front and behind you. As is, my knees are 1-2 inches from the person sittin in front of me, and im only 5'11".

The rented chairs are horrible, except for the person using them, they "protect" a space for your butt.

The rented chairs are a marker for the need for long standing need for true seats.......

PS: My elderly Mom loved hers :)

I buy the rented chairs and get to games early. Others just have to deal with it or complain to the athletic department. :thumbsup:

While I agree that chair backs and a reduction in seats is a good idea, I just wanna ask, has anyone actually sat in the chair backs at Memorial in the upper west stadium? I have. Let me tell you, they aren't actually that comfortable because they were put into a small footprint. Having gone to tons of games at New Mile High Stadium it's not even comparable in comfort. Not sure there's much they can do about that. I'm also completely for tearing down south stadium and starting over there. I know it wouldn't be easy because it couldn't be completed in a year, but it needs to happen.
Partially tearing down south stadium. North too. New seats ......... closer to the action.

wwZe1Iy.png

tUJhg5k.png

Notice green arrow for above picture. Tinker-toy construction. Very easy to demolish south/north upper rows. My wild guess, second decks are much cheaper than East project because existing cement column foundations (no digging).

TdcbBmj.png

sKJVoBL.png

I know, wishful dreamer .....

Last edited:
I personally think they did a great job with the east balcony seats. Doing the same thing elsewhere would be expensive simply due to the depth available for each row. You'd have to undergo a pretty significant demolition and rebuild of entire sections.

I personally think they did a great job with the east balcony seats. Doing the same thing elsewhere would be expensive simply due to the depth available for each row. You'd have to undergo a pretty significant demolition and rebuild of entire sections.

Maybe it is time to “consider” something new. Yeah…I said it. :thumbsup:

giphy.gif

The "bench seat" size at DONU has not changed since I started going in 1964.

The average keister size in Nebraska has most certainly changed since that time as my seat had become increasingly uncomfortable.

Anyone "in the know" bought the portable seat back to stake out room for himself/herself. Don't know if they still rent those as I quit going to games about 15 years ago.

Regardless of the sell out streak issues, DONU would be well served to improve the game experience as we older, "die hard" fans who will sit on the benches, are indeed dying.

If they are to get replacement young fans they will need to improve the game experience with bench seats, better restrooms, libations, and other amenities that these fans will expect, not corn liquor in a brown bag :).

I think that the new AD is up to this challenge.

GBR
Amenities should include easier accessibility to seats in the higher levels. Many newer stadiums have escalators or wide ramps for easy fan traffic.

We used to have seats in the north end zone, row 82. Too much of a climb for this 78 year old goat with ambulatory issues.
A friend gave us a couple of seats in the East stadium, new addition, with easy access to elevators and escalators. That made a huge difference for me and the wife. Much better game experience.

oZjP9cI.jpg

Red tarp ala Oakland A's stadium. Save oxygen tanks and no more powerful binoculars ;)

11-8_feature_2.jpg

While we are at it perhaps downsizing the ticket cost would be nice. Price is out of reach for many. Maybe we have to put this three game package into effect not due to lack of interest, but due to the unaffordable cost of season tickets to many who would otherwise be interested. As for the SM article he talks of improving the experience. He is an old man like me. I can tell you my grandchildren love the experience and would gladly sit on a bench seat for every game if I would only by them tickets. Perhaps we need to begin to listen to the average Nebraskan rather than the old fat boosters and writers who seem out of tough with the wants and needs of the average guy. I am in my sixties, and sit on a bench seat for every game. I will admit I rent the seat backs, but don’t want a costly renovation that reduces the number of seats and raises the ticket price making seeing a game for the average guy unattainable.
How old are your grandkids? I don’t think there’s any doubt a young kids first experiences at Memorial are going to be off the chart. I think the point is that if we do not improve the fan experience once your grandkids get to be in their 20s they’re going to lose interest in going to the games and ticket purchases will dwindle.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back