• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Meltdown. Can Frost manage it this week?

To answer the original question...can Scott handle the meltdown this week? Is the meltdown the game? the aftermath of the game? both? Yes, he can manage it. Did the meltdown happen because of him? He certainly has the most responsibility for it. Smothers for sure doesn't...nor does the punter.

I wonder if Scott is really himself. Is he trying to be TO? He rarely shows any passion on the sidelines except for when he feels a call was blown. TO was that way, too. Is he feeling too much pressure to restore NU to TO days? I wonder. I've seen not a few comments that he needs therapy. I think he needs a heart-to-heart with Trev and maybe others. I think he has what it takes. For whatever reason, it's not happening yet.

Thanks for having me.

A dedicated, experienced ST coach probably has the kids on the sideline and says "we can't take the chance of a block down here . . . we're going punt safe (like I have coached you extensively) and you need to get this kick off FAST."

I'm not sure what this unit was told there, but it sure doesn't look like they were geared up to avoid a block.
So, just to be clear, we
Again, who's that on?

And you still haven't been honest enough to address the jailbreak we saw. So no breakdown, right? It's all on WP? As another poster likes to use on a daily basis...

OK
So we have a known problem, but you are surprised it isn’t fixed mid season?

OK

So, just to be clear, we

OK

No . . . I'm not surprised at all. Why would I be?

Frost (again--still) leaves special teams to a part-time person who coaches another unit and he basically treats it as a throwaway part of the game. We get results as such.

Last edited:

I agree with most of your post but then what you said near the end of it is a complete dealbreaker for many of us I have given HCSF too many chances over the last four years—I’m not willing to say we need to give him more time really???

To answer the original question...can Scott handle the meltdown this week? Is the meltdown the game? the aftermath of the game? both? Yes, he can manage it. Did the meltdown happen because of him? He certainly has the most responsibility for it. Smothers for sure doesn't...nor does the punter.

I wonder if Scott is really himself. Is he trying to be TO? He rarely shows any passion on the sidelines except for when he feels a call was blown. TO was that way, too. Is he feeling too much pressure to restore NU to TO days? I wonder. I've seen not a few comments that he needs therapy. I think he needs a heart-to-heart with Trev and maybe others. I think he has what it takes. For whatever reason, it's not happening yet.

Thanks for having me.
I posted this late 3rd quarter when you could see the meltdown starting. But you bring up a good point. There are multiple potential meltdowns that could occur.

Coach Frost #1 objective right now is to not lose the locker room (they played hard all year) and keep his players from hitting the transfer portal. #2 is get the right assistant coaches hired. #3 address areas of need in the recruiting cycle.

Last edited:
Yup, fire the coach and pay the full buyout. Settle for whomever is willing to take the job. Has it really been that long ago that everyone forgot that is how we ended up with Mike Reilly? We fired a coach and then went weeks without anyone being interested in the job so we get whatever dead fish washes up on shore. Seems like a solid business decision.

FWIW, I hate losing just as much as the next person. I also don't want to pay coaches not to coach and still have a coach that is not taking us anywhere. Nebraska has been in this black hole for over a decade now.
Mike Riley is an upgrade over Scott Frost

No . . . I'm not surprised at all. Why would I be?

Frost (again--still) leaves special teams to a part-time person who coaches another unit and he basically treats it as a throwaway part of the game. We get results as such.
Frost, like a large percentage of P5 coaches only has a part time ST coach. That may change, but is far from unique. Try again.

Frost, like a large percentage of P5 coaches only has a part time ST coach. That may change, but is far from unique. Try again.

My suggestion is to forego a QB coach, have Frost and the OC coach the QBs and hire a coach for special teams whose ONLY focus is on that aspect of the game.

Your approach is what? Status quo?

BTW . . . Iowa has a dedicated ST coach. How did that turn out today?

Last edited:
You need someone knowledgeable on coverage and blocking. It could be a part time guy or a coach who wears multiple hats. In our case, we need a ST Whisperer.

They need to recruit better talent for punter and kicker. They are out there and not far from Lincoln ie Jake Scott Punter (Alabama and Green Bay) is from Denver and Carlson FG Kicker (Auburn and Las Vegas) is from Colorado Springs.

A good punter changes field position. A good FG kicker keeps you in the game when you can't score TD's ie Iowa kicker today was money with 4 field goals.

Last edited:

So, just to be clear, we

OK
Known problemS -- PLURAL. Again, who is that on? Second, thanks for not addressing my statement about the blocking -- once again. I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I'm not. Not when a finger could ever be rightfully pointed towards this staff, especially SF. The problem you speak of is a combination of recruiting, development, preaching and coaching situational awareness, and Xs and Os. It's not WP's fault Scott brought him in, started him, and stuck with him despite all these flaws you conveniently point out now that he had one blocked.. The attacks on players here to defend the golden boy is gross.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back