• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

McKewons Article, will another analyst be enough?

I still maintain that it won't, we need a full-time guy. But I was reading this and am floored:

"The Rutgers game, he said, was a night when little went right against (according to the way Rutledge keeps track) the Big Ten’s top special teams unit. The kickoff to Cruickshank was done because NU was leery of the Scarlet Knights attempting a throwback to Cruickshank from one of the “sky-right” pooch kicks by Connor Culp. Rutgers had tried it against Maryland.

So Nebraska was in its “base kickoff Day 1 install,” Rutledge said. Culp did not get a touchback, Niko Cooper got blocked in the back — it wasn’t called — and no one else got off a block. Touchdown Cruickshank, who barely had to veer off a straight line down the field."

So we were scared that they were going to attempt a pretty difficult play of catching a super high kick then throwing it backwards to a guy on the other side of the field, so we decided to just kick it straight to the guy we didn't want them to get the ball to? Am I comprehending what I just read correctly?

McKewon: Will another analyst be enough to turn around the Huskers' special teams? | Football | omaha.com

Last edited:
I still maintain that it won't, we need a full-time guy. But I was reading this and am floored:

"The Rutgers game, he said, was a night when little went right against (according to the way Rutledge keeps track) the Big Ten’s top special teams unit. The kickoff to Cruickshank was done because NU was leery of the Scarlet Knights attempting a throwback to Cruickshank from one of the “sky-right” pooch kicks by Connor Culp. Rutgers had tried it against Maryland.

So Nebraska was in its “base kickoff Day 1 install,” Rutledge said. Culp did not get a touchback, Niko Cooper got blocked in the back — it wasn’t called — and no one else got off a block. Touchdown Cruickshank, who barely had to veer off a straight line down the field."

So we were scared that they were going to attempt a pretty difficult play of catching a super high kick then throwing it backwards to a guy on the other side of the field, so we decided to just kick it straight to the guy we didn't want them to get the ball to? Am I comprehending what I just read correctly?

McKewon: Will another analyst be enough to turn around the Huskers' special teams? | Football | omaha.com
We seem to have a tendency to outthink ourselves.

Last edited:

Never do what your enemy expects. They never expected Nebraska to do something so stupid. If it would have worked it would have been brilliant. :Biggrin:

How about coaches teaching guys to get off blocks,and Big refs,nuff said

"But it’s so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you. Are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet, or his enemy’s? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I’m not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me."

All I can think of is this quote from Princess Bride when it comes to the type and amount of thinking going on with Husker coaches. Yikes :Banghead:

To me this shows a major issue within the program. If you recall after the game in his post game interview Frost said the game plan going in was to kick it away from him and he didn't know why they kicked it to him....if this is in fact true and the analyst can't communicate during the game with the coaches then who made this call?

Once again you simply can't make this kind of crap up! :Lol:

I wonder if yet another analysis from Sam/media will be enough ;)

reading that article, honestly sounds like classic analysis paralysis ... too many unnecessary mind games seem prevalent nowadays, perhaps analysts trying to over-justify their research/findings - anyone ever hire a consultant that doesn't feel compelled to find/magnify something (no matter how esoteric/miniscule) to merit their efforts.

I'm a simpleton offering free analysis - but my experience has been emphasizing blocking, tackling & fundamentals = good things tend to happen.

I think by how I take it the plan was a touchback from a sky high kick which did not happen and then a block in the back which resulted in no tackle and everyone else could not get off their blocks.

Why not just kick away from Cruickshanks and let the ball hit the turf if need be

Last edited:

I always questioned who made the decision. An analyst couldn’t make that call during the game. Frost was his normal clueless self. So who even made the decision?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back