• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

McKewon: Five Year Snapshot

Interesting that 2007 and 2008 are included -- those skew the results as NU was above .500 both of those seasons. Of greater importance than 2007 and 2008 are the most recent three seasons:

2011: 7-16
2010: 10-17
2009: 8-19

3-year total: 25-52. That's a .325 winning percentage in the Big 12, which is LAST in the conference over that period. Yes, winning less than 1 out of every 3 games.

Interesting that 2007 and 2008 are included -- those skew the results as NU was above .500 both of those seasons. Of greater importance than 2007 and 2008 are the most recent three seasons:

2011: 7-16
2010: 10-17
2009: 8-19

3-year total: 25-52. That's a .325 winning percentage in the Big 12, which is LAST in the conference over that period. Yes, winning less than 1 out of every 3 games.
Almost like doc's 30-50 record in Big 12 play....kind of scary.

Almost like doc's 30-50 record in Big 12 play....kind of scary.

It is kind of like it. I think it is different though. IMO taking a program in the dumps and trying to build it into something is different than taking a good program and dragging it down. Doc definitely needs to start showing something but NU basketball wasn't very good when he took the job. I hoped for more but I guess I like Doc and don't mind him having a couple more years. MA is another story from my perspective. He has taken the reigns of something pretty good (sort of like FS did in the late 90's) and either has or is in the process of running it into the ground. To me, that deserves less patience. I guess we will see what happens.

It is kind of like it. I think it is different though. IMO taking a program in the dumps and trying to build it into something is different than taking a good program and dragging it down. Doc definitely needs to start showing something but NU basketball wasn't very good when he took the job. I hoped for more but I guess I like Doc and don't mind him having a couple more years. MA is another story from my perspective. He has taken the reigns of something pretty good (sort of like FS did in the late 90's) and either has or is in the process of running it into the ground. To me, that deserves less patience. I guess we will see what happens.

... considering solich had NU in the BCS champioinship game in his 4th season (and the team in his 2nd season was actually probably better).... i don't really grasp the comparison. maybe if you assume that following 2003, he was headed for the cellar... but i think we know that wasn't going to happen.... not penthouse to cellar like mike anderson.

Last edited:

Solich was a very good coach, but nobody was EVER going to keep the same program TO had his last 5 years, before those years TO was considered a good coach that could not win the big one. If TO does not win 3 of 4 MNC he goes down as one of the better coaches that could not win the big one and not the Great coach that most consider now. Solich had a very good record.

Anyway to MA and Doc, yes MA had a very good program and did well the first few years, but the last 3 has been terrible and needs to go. doc has improved the team by 1 win total in conference....he has not improved the program at all.....so he is in the same boat imo, basketball is the EASIEST sport to turn around as you only need 1 superstar or 2 very good players to compete and make the dance.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back