• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

McCaffrey bros not happy with coach frost comments

As I originally said, Frost didn’t need to make reference to Luke, directly or indirectly. It didn’t change the substance of his comment one way or another.

Leave Luke out of it and the news cycle finds something else to talk about.

Not a big deal for either party. Just another day in the life of sports Twitter.
Frost was talking about the negative aspects of the portal and why not illustrate that by using the shining example of a player who, on paper, is at his 3rd school in a mere 4-5 months? That example alone illustrates the flaws of the portal perfectly.

He is talking to Nebraska fans. That is a red meat for the fans comment.

True. Everything he said is exactly what Nebraska fans want to hear. So I'm not at all surprised the reception among Husker fans are in his favor.

Frost is not completely off-base with his thoughts; I am simply questioning how wise it is for someone in his position (he's not Saban) to voice them publicly. If he's creating backlash (fair or not), I'm not sure that's a good thing for Frost.

Last edited:
True. Everything he said is exactly what Nebraska fans want to hear. So I'm not at all surprised the reception among Husker fans are in his favor.

Frost is not completely off-base with his thoughts; I am simply questioning how wise it is for someone in his position (he's not Saban) to voice them publicly. If he's creating backlash (fair or not), I'm not sure that's a good thing for Frost.
It was dumb to say outloud in the manner he said it. He's 100% right of course but as you said, he isn't Saban.

I'm sure it was his brothers that gave him the bad advice to transfer to UL and they're pissed they were dead wrong. But Frost is better served taking the high road about any one player that transfers out.

Frost was talking about the negative aspects of the portal and why not illustrate that by using the shining example of a player who, on paper, is at his 3rd school in a mere 4-5 months? That example alone illustrates the flaws of the portal perfectly.
Frost is running one of the State's biggest businesses and as the spokesman for that business what he says matters. It's no surprise that he has almost unanimous support from Nebraska fans and I don't think this is a huge deal but my guess is that if you polled most respected coaches they would totally agree with SF while advising him to keep the comment to himself. It's pretty common practice that once a player leaves your program any future comments about that player ends. The only perspective I care about is that of future recruits/parents and right or wrong I'm not sure you want one of the NFL's most versatile running backs throwing out comments that can't do anything but harm the program-as right as SF may have been what was gained by alluding to someone specific?

An “upgrade” is in the eye of the beholder, based on what they are looking for. For LM, he just wants to be the starter at QB. It seems like any school where that is possible is an upgrade for him.
and I have no problem there. One question I always have about players like LM is whether they belong in p5. The Louisville move made very little sense. G5 or even lower levels where they can get far more reps may be better from the get go.

I see very little Frost did wrong in handling LM other than maybe giving him too many chances. He was very quickly exposed, as well as our play calling. IL game for starters.

I know from close ties with family of one other DONU player who played a few years in NFL that he was concerned over another recruit being promised a lot coming in. I reacted that the new player was also very good and both had good NFL careers. Point is even that many years ago and different coaching staffs there was concern about promising things to incoming players. If anything LM was a “beneficiary” of that “practice” if it exists.

Also, note that Scott Frost never mentions Luke McCaffrey at all.

Yeah he does. Not by name, but there's only one recent transfer that (quoting Frost) "We had one leave that's already left the next place he's going and is headed to another place." Who else could that be?

It was dumb to say outloud in the manner he said it. He's 100% right of course but as you said, he isn't Saban.

I'm sure it was his brothers that gave him the bad advice to transfer to UL and they're pissed they were dead wrong. But Frost is better served taking the high road about any one player that transfers out.
Agree completely. There is a right way and a wrong way to say certain things, and there is a time and a place for them. Frost has a history of not choosing wisely.

The backlash is not good for Frost and it is not good for Nebraska.

This type of thinking strikes me as kind of silly. Why can’t a coach, new, old, successful, not so successful, state the obvious? Whether this was veiled criticism towards the decision making of 1 player or 10, it’s still based in fact. The notion that saying some advice being given these kids is poor isn’t anything inaccurate for a huge chunk of the 1500 or so kids jumping from one place to another. There simply aren’t enough spots for them to land, and as Scott rightly points out, several already have had to accept offers from lesser programs, in lesser conferences, and one has to wonder how this will adversely effect their ability to land a good job because of the institution on the degree.

We need more honest conversations about this issue, not a fear of hurt feelings and silence. Top programs and coaches like Saban are far less likely to comment simply because of their ability to reload talent. It’s coaches, like Frost, who can feel the negative impact and have seen how it’s not turned out well for many of the kids already, who need to speak up.

For some reason when it’s Nebraska, controversy gets blown out of proportion . So atleast we have better stories to drown this out(Michigan and ASU).

I agree. Be like Belichick and say absolutely nothing. That's what we all want apparently.
I get the value of this. It's like putting on armor. Being mum has always been considered safe and can prevent headaches. But if a coach's statement has value, it may plant a seed for players and their counsel from family members to think deeper on their decisions. Why be stifled from the slings and arrows of pettiness. It helps to show what kind of coach he is and people like to know their coach.

For some reason when it’s Nebraska, controversy gets blown out of proportion . So atleast we have better stories to drown this out(Michigan and ASU).
I think it's just that you pay more attention to Nebraska than other schools. Things like this get a lot of play regardless of which school. There are exceptions, nothing Saban says gets questioned because he's winning like crazy.

Well yes I do pay more attention to Nebraska but would this get picked up at the national level if it involved another school with so many losing season as Nebraska has had in the previous 20 years?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back