• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #34, (L, 66-62), Fri, 3/15 vs Wisconsin (#12 KP) (22-9) (14-6), @ 2:00pm CT, BTN

I agree completely. I think part of our shooting woes were due to fatigue, but yes, we have seen our team miss very makeable shots all year long. What confuses me is why so many blame the coach for our shooting problems. I am not saying that Miles does not share part of the blame for our problems this year. However, in my opinion, Miles and his staff outcoached the staffs of Rutgers, Maryland, and Wisconsin. We fell a little short against the Badgers, but the game plan was great. We just didn't make enough shots. And that's Miles' fault?

If I was a betting man, and I am not, I would guess that we will be looking for a new coach soon. I know that excites many of my fellow posters. But I have followed this same scenario since I started following the team in the early 60s, and it hasn't turned out well yet. I think our problems can be solved without cleaning house. If Moos decides to make a change, I hope that his choice will work out better than all the changes over the last 60 years have.
Where Miles comes into play with the team making shots is the offensive system is set up for the players to create their own shot most of the time and their was no accountability for when the players were taking/forcing bad shots. When shots are made, that offense appears to look good, but an offense doesn't have to always look like it's that difficult to score.

The defensive game plans is definitely where Miles outcoached the other coaches during the tournament. Hero ball on offense is a different story.

Being a coach for so many years, I'm never excited when a coach loses a job. I think the decision had already been made, and Moos is just waiting for the season to be officially over.

That Said:

Nice of the young man to say. He could have been a little resentful of the fact he got about 10 minutes of playing time for then entire year prior to losing 4 players to injuries and suspension. Then he magically becomes a focal point of every Miles interview. And as much as I appreciate a player's opinion, I think it's important to remember that he's never actually been in a program that was 'headed in the right direction', he only knows one way...Miles way. So when someone, who's never really had experience playing in a solid structure that has a tradition of success, tells us we'll be taking a 'step backwards', I think we need to keep that in mind.

I agree completely. I think part of our shooting woes were due to fatigue, but yes, we have seen our team miss very makeable shots all year long. What confuses me is why so many blame the coach for our shooting problems. I am not saying that Miles does not share part of the blame for our problems this year. However, in my opinion, Miles and his staff outcoached the staffs of Rutgers, Maryland, and Wisconsin. We fell a little short against the Badgers, but the game plan was great. We just didn't make enough shots. And that's Miles' fault?

If I was a betting man, and I am not, I would guess that we will be looking for a new coach soon. I know that excites many of my fellow posters. But I have followed this same scenario since I started following the team in the early 60s, and it hasn't turned out well yet. I think our problems can be solved without cleaning house. If Moos decides to make a change, I hope that his choice will work out better than all the changes over the last 60 years have.

Shooting has several different factors in order to be successful, and many of those are reliant on the player doing the work. Some, however, are predicated on knowing your player's strengths and weaknesses, and designing an offense that will capitalize on those strengths. In addition, you work with your players to put themselves in the best position in that offense. You drill on flashing into the gaps, knowing when and where people will be, be ready to just catch and shoot, understanding how to move defenses away from areas in order to open up opportunities for your shooters, and you teach players the importance of working to get each other open. Those are areas the coaches can influence shooting, and reducing prolonged slumps. If all you want to look at is players heaving up shots and clanking them, then you are correct, Miles wasn't the one heaving them up. But I'm more concerned with why we are just launching one desperate brick after another with the clock running down, while 4 guys stand around, because the frequency of those situations are on the coach.

I've been around watching the program for a long time as well.

-Cip left for health reasons, so he wasn't a 'house cleaning'.
-Moe, while putting up some of our better winning percentages, was about as boring a system as one can imagine, and fans didn't really flock to watch him. He wasn't fired, he resigned, causing few tears, so he wasn't a 'house cleaning'.
-Nee brought a whole new energy to the program, and that's one of the factors an AD needs to consider when evaluating an existing coach. Butts in the seats, high numbers of season ticket holders, those are critical when you have a sport that is expected to generate revenue. Nee had some great moments for the program, but also some pretty shaky ones. Nee was fired, so technically, he'd be considered a 'house cleaning', but do you think he should have been retained? Was there a way for the AD to solve his problem?
-So we go to Collier, who had a few glimmers, but didn't bring a repeat of the success he had at Butler. He too resigns, so he's not a 'house cleaning'.
-We replace him with Doc, a great guy, a great defensive coach, but he just didn't get the wins. He was fired, so technically a house cleaning, but the AD that fired him was Tom Osborne, not exactly someone known as a reactionary, and a guy most feel would give a coach every chance possible as long as they showed signs of improvement. Was Tom wrong? Should we have we have retained Doc? Was there a way for Tom to solve the problem?
-Now we are squarely in the 'Miles Era'. A touch above .500, a pattern of building teams that relies on transfers, tends to lose Assistant coaches regularly, loses transfers pretty regularly, reaches on 'hidden gems' who rarely remain on the roster, lack player development from those who do come from the high school ranks, struggle recruiting shooters, haven't had what most feel is a good offensive system in 7 years. Fan enthusiasm is faltering, and with the investment in the Vault, that simply can't happen. Are there things listed that the AD can solve? Beyond the fear of the unknown, what is the downside of bringing in a new coach, which always kicks up interest and enthusiasm?

Frankly, I'm at a loss as to why people are allowing Miles great personality to overshadow his sloppy, seat of the pants style and program.

Last edited:

Whatever one can say, There is No QUIT in this team!
index.php
GRIT, NO QUIT HUSKERS! :Bow:

If we are NIT bound, I believe we'll see a much different result than last year. :Cheer2::Cheer2::Cheer2:

Completely respect your viewpoint and opinion - your dedication in the MBB forum, and the way you keep those of us who aren't able to watch/listen to games at times updated and engaged is admirable. You have followed this program for many years, and I for one hope you are soon rewarded for your loyalty to it.

Situations like this are made more difficult when the coach is as likable as Miles is. I don't throw that term around lightly, especially considering how easily and exorbitantly it had been tossed around during the time a guy named Riley led the football program. Miles has been a fine ambassador to the state of Nebraska and for the MBB program ...

Alas, it is time to move on. That is my opinion, of course, even understanding next season will likely be difficult to endure regardless who is leading the program. My wish for you and all other Husker fans is that our AD gets the hire right - arguments predictably ensue regarding the definition of the "right hire" for this program, which is also understandable because we haven't yet seen what that looks right, but standing pat on .500 performance and a 14% success rate simply for an invitation to play in the Tourny is not where I want to see this program.

GBR.

Whatever one can say, There is No QUIT in this team!
index.php
GRIT, NO QUIT HUSKERS! :Bow:

If we are NIT bound, I believe we'll see a much different result than last year. :Cheer2::Cheer2::Cheer2:

Agreed. Last year, we couldn't care less about playing in the NIT since we felt we should have been in the NCAA tournament. This year, now that we are finally playing like we are capable of playing, I think the team does not want the season to end yet.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back