• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #29 (L, 76-81 OT) vs NORTHWESTERN @ PBA, Sun 3/1 @ 3:15 pm CT, BTN (& Game Thread)

Why? This year was going to be a throw away, and most said so from day one. Next year we should see the foundation started this year start to return some rewards.

There is throw away season's and then there is this. Throw away to me was 12-13 wins and 4-5 wins in the B1G.

It is still not a good feeling that they can't beat a NW team that has lost to every other B1G team at home. Going 8 of 30 from the line is less than pathetic. If they would have been their normal 60% pathetic they win the game.

I played and coached a lot of football. I know very little about coaching or playing basketball at this level, but I can tell bad basketball when I see it. I am going to have to take your word for it that there has been progress and that things are going to be OK.

I have seen some horrible huskerball over my years. But this game may be the lowest of the lows for NU.
Oh, it had some bad points, but they rebounded well. They weren't run out of the gym like they were a Y team going against Duke. It was certainly frustrating to watch. At least Melvin Gordon didn't score again.

There is throw away season's and then there is this. Throw away to me was 12-13 wins and 4-5 wins in the B1G.

It is still not a good feeling that they can't beat a NW team that has lost to every other B1G team at home. Going 8 of 30 from the line is less than pathetic. If they would have been their normal 60% pathetic they win the game.

I played and coached a lot of football. I know very little about coaching or playing basketball at this level, but I can tell bad basketball when I see it. I am going to have to take your word for it that there has been progress and that things are going to be OK.

So you feel that 4 out of 7 Tim Miles seasons were throw aways? 2 of Doc's and 4 of Barry's? You seem to be forgetting, as bad as you feel this year is, we've had our share of 3 and 4 conference win seasons going back to Danny Nee, and none of those guys ever had a roster change like this. I appreciate you mentioning you don't know much about basketball, because while this sure isn't good basketball, you seem to be failing to see the positives Fred has provided already. We actually have passing, and not that total desperation crap we've seen the last several years, but actually finding an open man. We have seen some surprisingly solid defense, even when completely overmatched. We see a team that has clawed back into games when I thought they were completely out of it. Rebounding is really hard when you just don't have size, but the kid in the middle has fought quite well. There are plenty of weaknesses, many of which I think can be addressed by adding players with certain skillsets, but I'm actually pleased with how well this completely disjointed group has looked at times. The free throws are abysmal, and I'm not at all happy with the 3s, and we absolutely need work on catching and shooting, but that's not a lack of coaching. The horrible spacing, the desperation pass when a guy was caught up in the air, the inability to inbound the ball, all those things we used to see, that was coaching.

So you feel that 4 out of 7 Tim Miles seasons were throw aways? 2 of Doc's and 4 of Barry's? You seem to be forgetting, as bad as you feel this year is, we've had our share of 3 and 4 conference win seasons going back to Danny Nee, and none of those guys ever had a roster change like this. I appreciate you mentioning you don't know much about basketball, because while this sure isn't good basketball, you seem to be failing to see the positives Fred has provided already. We actually have passing, and not that total desperation crap we've seen the last several years, but actually finding an open man. We have seen some surprisingly solid defense, even when completely overmatched. We see a team that has clawed back into games when I thought they were completely out of it. Rebounding is really hard when you just don't have size, but the kid in the middle has fought quite well. There are plenty of weaknesses, many of which I think can be addressed by adding players with certain skillsets, but I'm actually pleased with how well this completely disjointed group has looked at times. The free throws are abysmal, and I'm not at all happy with the 3s, and we absolutely need work on catching and shooting, but that's not a lack of coaching. The horrible spacing, the desperation pass when a guy was caught up in the air, the inability to inbound the ball, all those things we used to see, that was coaching.

Sorry Lars, as I said I thought they would win more games than this. I truly did. It still looks sloppy to me.

I am not worried or talking about Miles, Sadler, or Collier. Were talking about Fred Hoiberg.

Sorry Lars, as I said I thought they would win more games than this. I truly did. It still looks sloppy to me.

I am not worried or talking about Miles, Sadler, or Collier. Were talking about Fred Hoiberg.

I thought we'd get 10 wins if some of our stud recruits got comfortable with B1G play. Heck, I thought 12 or 13 not out of the question. Green struggling to learn to play with Mack was something I think set us back. I also felt that Kavas not becoming the sniper I've always dreamed of seeing at Pinnacle kept our team from doing many of the things I know Fred wants. It is sloppy, and a ton of things need improving to get to that 20 wins we need to get a sniff at the tourney, but if we can simply clean up some of the basics, and add those players that reduce our opponents physical advantage, we aren't that far off. If Mack gets comfortable with finishing at the rim. If Green can find how to fit his game in this offense. If we have any consistency in 3s and FTs. If we get another rebounder, and someone to help bang and clear the lane to make the drives less congested (think Borchardt). I also want to see more depth development, because we had chances to push the ball more, but didn't, and some of that could simply be some fatigue. Get fresh players in regularly, and turn the hounds loose.

I mention those other coaches, because not only did they have their fair share of stinkers, they also had their fair share of some pretty good teams. This is year one of the largest roster turnover I've ever seen a program make. It was painful, but necessary. Fred has kept his composure throughout the season, even when I'm sure he wanted to explode. He's a teacher, he's analyzes the game as well as anyone, and he trusts his staff to have input. That's a great formula, we just need to let it work.

I thought we'd get 10 wins if some of our stud recruits got comfortable with B1G play. Heck, I thought 12 or 13 not out of the question. Green struggling to learn to play with Mack was something I think set us back. I also felt that Kavas not becoming the sniper I've always dreamed of seeing at Pinnacle kept our team from doing many of the things I know Fred wants. It is sloppy, and a ton of things need improving to get to that 20 wins we need to get a sniff at the tourney, but if we can simply clean up some of the basics, and add those players that reduce our opponents physical advantage, we aren't that far off. If Mack gets comfortable with finishing at the rim. If Green can find how to fit his game in this offense. If we have any consistency in 3s and FTs. If we get another rebounder, and someone to help bang and clear the lane to make the drives less congested (think Borchardt). I also want to see more depth development, because we had chances to push the ball more, but didn't, and some of that could simply be some fatigue. Get fresh players in regularly, and turn the hounds loose.

I mention those other coaches, because not only did they have their fair share of stinkers, they also had their fair share of some pretty good teams. This is year one of the largest roster turnover I've ever seen a program make. It was painful, but necessary. Fred has kept his composure throughout the season, even when I'm sure he wanted to explode. He's a teacher, he's analyzes the game as well as anyone, and he trusts his staff to have input. That's a great formula, we just need to let it work.

What your saying is fair. I am very skeptical about the 3 guys RS right now making a huge difference on this team. I mean are they 9-10 games better with these guys? I am very skeptical that Teddy Allen comes onto this team and fits into it and is a team player. I just see him being a cancer.

What your saying is fair. I am very skeptical about the 3 guys RS right now making a huge difference on this team. I mean are they 9-10 games better with these guys? I am very skeptical that Teddy Allen comes onto this team and fits into it and is a team player. I just see him being a cancer.
Teddy is a wild card, no doubt, but it's not JUST the new guys, but the existing guys having another year to get used to each other. Trust me, when you practice and play together, you get better from the first day to the end of the first week. The same is true over the first month. Then the first year. After a while, you get so familiar with how a teammate does things it's actually a surprise when they turn the ball over, or miss blocking out, or blow a layup. It's probably a bad example, but there are some teammates you are so sure they are going to hit the shot you kind of halfass it going to the boards. The same is true of the guy you think is going to brick a shot, you start cheating back to play defense after the miss. That's the kind of familiarity that comes with playing together.

Think of the times that Mack would make a nice feed and we'd see a guy catch it, and instead of just pulling up, they'd hesitate, take a dribble, then try to force something as the defender closed. That will happen less next year. The same was true of some of the passes guys tried to make inside. A player is makes a drive toward the basket, pulls up, all the inside guys turn to rebound, and the ball whistle past their head not realizing the penetrater was thinking of making an entry pass. That's just a feel thing, and it gets stronger with every month together.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back