• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #19, (L, 76-69), Mon, 1/21 @ Rutgers (#125) (8-8) (1-5), 7:00pm CT, BTN

this loss fits the trend. there will be more ridiculous losses, just as there will be more epic wins. the overall end result will be somewhere right in the middle....basically right where Tim Miles' overall win loss record sits. somewhere right in the middle.

so the only question is in order to try and find a coach who MIGHT get us above average, is it worth the risk knowing you could end up hiring a guy who could do worse. or are you content where its comfy? right in the middle.

there may not even be a wrong answer here. just depends on the AD and what his overall vision/expectation is of NU bball. If its safe and comfy, right in the middle, then Miles is the guy.
That's always the "risk" right? Pelini's results on paper didn't necessarily warrant firing. But I'm of the mindset that if you CAN do better (nebraska athletics should not place artificial limits on the major sports) then you absolutely should try. And keep trying.

Maybe the flawed players was an over reaction to last nights loss but I just dont get it. How this team of super athletic, skilled players can get beat by a that Rutgers team with a bunch of frosh and another guy at way less then 100%. I just dont see the urgency that you would expect on a team that expected to accomplish the goals they have and now are losing all momentum to even make the tournament. Something about a few of the players just rubs me the wrong way and I just cant put my finger on it. They just dont seem to be all in or something. Perhaps we just need to accept what Nebraska basketball is and if thats not good enough find something else to do with our time.

I had so much hope for this season! UGGGGGGGG!

points in the paint rutgers 42
neb. 24
second chance pts. rutgers 17
neb. 7
BENCH POINTS rutgers 31
neb. 6
after seeing this i cant believe it was that close with 2 min. left.

My feelings before the season began was that Miles finally had a real good veteran team. I felt this year was make or break for Miles cause next year he will have a very inexperienced team and will lose a bunch of games. I am of the opinion that if he doesn’t make the dance he should be shown the door cause it will only go downhill from here.

My feelings on this year's team are very similar. After the way the team played last year, and with the players coming back, I expected us to progress and have a very good season. I don't see the progress that I expected (sometimes I'm too optimistic). The Rutger's game was about as bad as I've have seen this season.

Having said that, I have seen teams make vast improvements somewhere near the middle of the season (see Nebraska Football, 2018). So I'm not ready to write off this season just yet.

As for after this season, according to a chart I saw on one of the local TV stations, about 75% of this year's offense are seniors this year. I'm not certain of which under classmen on the team this year that can step in and take over any game at that level at a consistent basis. I have very low expectations for next year's team. I would really like to be wrong.

My feelings on this year's team are very similar. After the way the team played last year, and with the players coming back, I expected us to progress and have a very good season. I don't see the progress that I expected (sometimes I'm too optimistic). The Rutger's game was about as bad as I've have seen this season.

Having said that, I have seen teams make vast improvements somewhere near the middle of the season (see Nebraska Football, 2018). So I'm not ready to write off this season just yet.

As for after this season, according to a chart I saw on one of the local TV stations, about 75% of this year's offense are seniors this year. I'm not certain of which under classmen on the team this year that can step in and take over any game at that level at a consistent basis. I have very low expectations for next year's team. I would really like to be wrong.
Leaders for next years team:
Isaiah Roby (don't know if he returns with or without Miles)
Thomas Allen
Dachon Burke
Jervay Green (may get a release from his LOI without Miles)
So... doesn't look like we'd have established leaders. I like Allen's toughness and Roby's athleticism. No clue about newcomers except that Burke may be the best player in practice this year.

Next year is all guards, more than this year. They have to get someone thicker to play post - Austin Allen or some walk-on from high school again is better than nothing. Heiman probably won't have gotten enough size to be a force in the middle - he has a pretty good outside shot though, and could be a stretch 4.

Last edited:
:(

I watched the game with my son last night. I uttered to him that this game felt like the Minnesota game which he didn't see. He asked me what I meant. I told him that Nebraska has the lead, should have the better talent, but will let Rutgers hang around and let that team believe it can win. It was like the team had the same thought as every Nebraska fan watching the game on TV: "Here we go again. We're going to lose a game that we should win."

The team has the talent to go on a run and make the tournament; however, based on the losses, I'm not sure they believe it and have the direction on the court to make it happen. At this point, they need to not focus on the tournament and just focus on the game and the opportunity in front of them which is Ohio State on Saturday. Win that game at the Vault and let the metrics work itself out.

:(

I watched the game with my son last night. I uttered to him that this game felt like the Minnesota game which he didn't see. He asked me what I meant. I told him that Nebraska has the lead, should have the better talent, but will let Rutgers hang around and let that team believe it can win. It was like the team had the same thought as every Nebraska fan watching the game on TV: "Here we go again. We're going to lose a game that we should win."

The team has the talent to go on a run and make the tournament; however, based on the losses, I'm not sure they believe it and have the direction on the court to make it happen. At this point, they need to not focus on the tournament and just focus on the game and the opportunity in front of them which is Ohio State on Saturday. Win that game at the Vault and let the metrics work itself out.
Great post.
They need someone to step up and be a leader. Palmer right now is in a confidence slump.
G Watson does at times but either needs to take it to the next level or one of the other 3 guys need to!

Official Box Score:
http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/5481621.pdf

upload_2019-1-22_9-50-26.png

upload_2019-1-22_9-51-31.png

That's always the "risk" right? Pelini's results on paper didn't necessarily warrant firing. But I'm of the mindset that if you CAN do better (nebraska athletics should not place artificial limits on the major sports) then you absolutely should try. And keep trying.
totally agree. i'll be curious to see if Moos agrees with us as well.

Seriously lost perspective there for a moment:

Hope the team made it home last night, if not hope they are somewhere warm. No matter what, they are our guys. I just want what's best for them. GBR!

EDIT:

Last edited:

In response to the 1st bolded above, I feel the opposite, actually. We started great, beat Clemson, beat some good teams but have tanked in the last 5-6 games. Indiana (our last win in the last 4 or 5 games) is not a good team and our win, IMO, was a fluke as they haven't won much lately (and just lost, again, a few nights ago). I feel like it has been the opposite of football, whereas we are getting worse as the year goes on.

The 2nd bolded above is exactly how I am feeling, hence my "make or break" for this year......if we tank it or not the rest of this season, we will not be winning many games next year. JMO, but unless we play with our hair on fire the rest of the year and make some serious noise in the B1G Tourney and make the dance, Miles should be gone. He has had more than enough time and has very little results to show, besides the occasional upset win.

The more I think about this team, the more I think it's going to be Glynn Watson that makes it go or not. Even if Roby suddenly make a huge step forward, it's going to be Glynn that makes everything happen. Not blaming him for the last couple of games, but he needs to step out front and lead NOW.

Maybe the flawed players was an over reaction to last nights loss but I just dont get it. How this team of super athletic, skilled players can get beat by a that Rutgers team with a bunch of frosh and another guy at way less then 100%. I just dont see the urgency that you would expect on a team that expected to accomplish the goals they have and now are losing all momentum to even make the tournament. Something about a few of the players just rubs me the wrong way and I just cant put my finger on it. They just dont seem to be all in or something. Perhaps we just need to accept what Nebraska basketball is and if thats not good enough find something else to do with our time.

I had so much hope for this season! UGGGGGGGG!
I feel the same way. To me, its a simple lack of discipline issue. When a coach senses a team isn't ready to play, you light them up before the game. Force them to be ready to play.

Last edited:
Leaders for next years team:
Isaiah Roby (don't know if he returns with or without Miles)
Thomas Allen
Dachon Burke
Jervay Green (may get a release from his LOI without Miles)
So... doesn't look like we'd have established leaders. I like Allen's toughness and Roby's athleticism. No clue about newcomers except that Burke may be the best player in practice this year.

Next year is all guards, more than this year. They have to get someone thicker to play post - Austin Allen or some walk-on from high school again is better than nothing. Heiman probably won't have gotten enough size to be a force in the middle - he has a pretty good outside shot though, and could be a stretch 4.

Thank you for the info you provided. Unless something big really happens, I doubt that Roby stays. His going pro would be better if he showed more consistency.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back