• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #16, (W, 70-64), Thu, 1/10 vs Penn State (#60) (7-8) (0-4), @ PBA, 8:00pm CT, ESPN2

Completely agree. That's exactly what frustrated me about Palmer. Roby and Copeland should be able to take advantage of zones if they get to those spots.
We have always had problems controlling rebounds. I see a lot of slow-reacting bodies when it comes to fighting, and getting rebounds. It's as if we aren't tough enough under the boards. Miles needs to work harder on that!

When you aren't playing with a true 5, you have to count on people from the wings to do a better job in not just crashing the boards, but checking out as well. Last night our outside guys accounted for 15 rebounds, and our inside guys only 9. Our outside guys actually kept their counterparts off most of the time, but the inside players had 23 boards, 9 and 14 respectively. In my mind, this is when you use a guy like Borchardt to put a body on someone and keep them off the glass. 6'9" and 255 lbs of solid, is not going to be a good match up for Roby, so getting Borchardt all of 2 minutes is pretty stupid. Palmer had games in which he was very solid on the boards, some of that was going and getting his own miss, but as of late, we aren't seeing that as much as we need with B1G competition. Roby I absolutely give a pass to, as it's his job to keep whoever the 5 he's covering off the boards, but he didn't do that particularly well last night. Copeland would usually be taking up some of that slack, but he's kind of dipped a little over the last 6 games, which could be having to cover some pretty decent 4s himself. Even though he may have been chasing Stevens around part of the time, and helped keep him to a 30% shooting night, he can't come up with only 3 rebounds. But when you play 38 minutes against a guy who runs all over the place, you aren't as quick getting to the ball as you may normally be.

Our substitution is abysmal, and I understand we aren't up to our eyes in talent, but last night was ridiculous. When Watkins wasn't in, and he only played 27 minutes, why on earth didn't we see Heiman and/or Borchardt? When Palmer was flailing around on the offensive end, why do we not give him a seat, let him catch his breath, and suggest some thoughts on spots to look for in the zone? There are times I think some of our poor decisions late in a game are purely related to fatigue. The announcers actually pointed out our lack of player development considering our number of upper classmen likely to be gone next year. How often do you hear people mention that during games? Ever? It's that glaring, folks.

Our substitution is abysmal, and I understand we aren't up to our eyes in talent, but last night was ridiculous. When Watkins wasn't in, and he only played 27 minutes, why on earth didn't we see Heiman and/or Borchardt? When Palmer was flailing around on the offensive end, why do we not give him a seat, let him catch his breath, and suggest some thoughts on spots to look for in the zone? There are times I think some of our poor decisions late in a game are purely related to fatigue. The announcers actually pointed out our lack of player development considering our number of upper classmen likely to be gone next year. How often do you hear people mention that during games? Ever? It's that glaring, folks.
In the post game presser on BTN, Miles was asked when did he decide to not substitute in the second half. He said that Nana had been sick for a few days and hadn't practiced much, so he missed the game prep and that Amir was just now back from his illness and hadn't seen much practice lately...that he just didn't feel good about having them out there much. He went on to say that every time he mentioned to the assistants about getting someone else in there, they talked him out of it.

While Watkins was on the floor and Palmer was doing his best impression of Roy Mercado who was on the 8th string of my seventh grade basketball season, Borchardt could have easily come in to play the 5 and Roby could have moved out on the wing while Palmer was on the bench gaining a little perspective. If Watkins was out, Heiman could come in and do the same thing.

As for the guards, if Nana and Amir really weren't up to playing much, after Palmer gained some perspective, put him in for Allen or Watson to give them a quick breather while Borchardt and/or Heiman are in there. All of those starters could have got a breather here or there. Even a guy like Thorir could have given someone a quick breather. Heck, against the zone, I might even bring a guy like Costello in when there's a break in the action and a TV timeout is just around the corner. See if he could get a wide open look. If not, he's out there for a short period of time, and the starter can go back in after the TV timeout. A little experience is gained and something really good can come from that. At the very least, this could have happened with Heiman, Borchardt, or even Thorir.

In the post game presser on BTN, Miles was asked when did he decide to not substitute in the second half. He said that Nana had been sick for a few days and hadn't practiced much, so he missed the game prep and that Amir was just now back from his illness and hadn't seen much practice lately...that he just didn't feel good about having them out there much. He went on to say that every time he mentioned to the assistants about getting someone else in there, they talked him out of it.

While Watkins was on the floor and Palmer was doing his best impression of Roy Mercado who was on the 8th string of my seventh grade basketball season, Borchardt could have easily come in to play the 5 and Roby could have moved out on the wing while Palmer was on the bench gaining a little perspective. If Watkins was out, Heiman could come in and do the same thing.

As for the guards, if Nana and Amir really weren't up to playing much, after Palmer gained some perspective, put him in for Allen or Watson to give them a quick breather while Borchardt and/or Heiman are in there. All of those starters could have got a breather here or there. Even a guy like Thorir could have given someone a quick breather. Heck, against the zone, I might even bring a guy like Costello in when there's a break in the action and a TV timeout is just around the corner. See if he could get a wide open look. If not, he's out there for a short period of time, and the starter can go back in after the TV timeout. A little experience is gained and something really good can come from that. At the very least, this could have happened with Heiman, Borchardt, or even Thorir.

Seriously, it’s comments like that which make Miles look really stupid. First he blows chances in games to call TOs to slow another team’s momentum. Then he doesn’t switch up his defenses to get an opponent out of their rhythm. Now he’s unsure of giving a guy 2 or 3 minutes of court time to rest his undersized lineup? Is he really a head coach? Can he be a bench coach at all?

Seriously, it’s comments like that which make Miles look really stupid. First he blows chances in games to call TOs to slow another team’s momentum. Then he doesn’t switch up his defenses to get an opponent out of their rhythm. Now he’s unsure of giving a guy 2 or 3 minutes of court time to rest his undersized lineup? Is he really a head coach? Can he be a bench coach at all?
I couldn't believe he said it outloud. Things certainly make one wonder who's doing what.

Maybe, I just don't get it, but, in all my years coaching high school, I always tried to develop the players throughout the season...not just so they could help next year, but also so they could help during the current year. There are ways to steal playing time so to speak that can greatly help the team.

I'm just glad that the team got this win. They needed a win in a bad way. Maybe, they can get back on track and get a road victory over Indiana on Monday night.

Miles uses humor and quick wit to mask a lot of deficiencies.

PSU's big man was torching Roby on both sides of the glass and on the offensive end. no idea why Miles and CO was afraid to give big Borch a few minutes to give undersized people a break. Also considering PSU wasn't at all concerned about passing to their big man, i'm confident Tanner could have held his own.

There's a pretty interesting coach that's out of a job right now - Steve Alford. Given the lack of player development, the lack of in game coaching ability and his "teninous" relationship with Moos, unless he comes up with a deep run in the show, his last season as Nebraska's head coach is the current one. Thank God!!! His arrogance on his radio shows, which he thinks is funny is disgusting.
The effort put out last night rebounding and blocking out was sad. That is lack of COACHING!!

PSU's big man was torching Roby on both sides of the glass and on the offensive end. no idea why Miles and CO was afraid to give big Borch a few minutes to give undersized people a break. Also considering PSU wasn't at all concerned about passing to their big man, i'm confident Tanner could have held his own.
Especially since Borchardt came into the game in the first half, got a rebound and a nice assist in just a few minutes. Heiman has usually looked good in short spurts as well.

I was surprised they let Harris play - he really looks skinny. I think they should always put Nana in next to Thomas Allen because they look like their defensive effort feeds off one-another.

Last edited:
There's a pretty interesting coach that's out of a job right now - Steve Alford. Given the lack of player development, the lack of in game coaching ability and his "teninous" relationship with Moos, unless he comes up with a deep run in the show, his last season as Nebraska's head coach is the current one. Thank God!!! His arrogance on his radio shows, which he thinks is funny is disgusting.
The effort put out last night rebounding and blocking out was sad. That is lack of COACHING!!
Welcome :thumbsup:

Official Box Score:

upload_2019-1-11_14-48-55.png

upload_2019-1-11_14-49-50.png

He absolutely was, and I was afraid Roby would pick up silly fouls because of it, which Nebraska could ill afford last night as he (and Watson) were pretty much the primary options offensively. Really would have liked to see TB and/or BH get a few quick minutes.

Steve Alford blows.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back