• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #15, (W, 93-90, 2nd OT), THU, 1/5 vs IOWA @ PBA, 8:00 pm CST, BTN (PACK THE VAULT)

In Tim's defense, if you go back and read his messages, everything he was saying about the team at that time was true: poor spacing, poor play sets, etc.

And to Miles credit, he changed just about every single thing offensively to get the team out of its funk. With that said, NU has now become the hunted, and no longer the hunter. NU is going to get everyone's best shot, instead of taking the game for a win (e.g. Indiana, Maryland)

Tim rubbed me wrong a few times as well, but he wasn't wrong in the fact that our spacing and inability to run some form of structured play was hurting our ability to get shots off when we were in a cold streak. A large part of our new found success is personnel. I think we have some very nice pieces on the floor now, and I have to say in Miles defense, it does sometimes take a little while and seeing a guy in game situations to recognize the pieces that will work the best. I've played on several teams that had different starters at the beginning of the year, that weren't the same about 1/3 of the way into the season. Sometimes you see veterans start early because they have been there and done that, so they naturally are just a little better doing some of those small things coaches like. Younger guys get it figured out, and then it boils down to how is the better player.

I don't think we strike fear in the hearts of teams yet, but I do think they are going to see that we do have some ballers on the team and they sure can't sleep on us and just overwhelm us with talent anymore.

In Tim's defense, if you go back and read his messages, everything he was saying about the team at that time was true: poor spacing, poor play sets, etc.

And to Miles credit, he changed just about every single thing offensively to get the team out of its funk. With that said, NU has now become the hunted, and no longer the hunter. NU is going to get everyone's best shot, instead of taking the game for a win (e.g. Indiana, Maryland)

The things that Tim was saying were correct, but for the better part of December he has bagged on Miles and what a crappy coach he is. Sometimes you got to give someone his due for making some changes that have made a difference in the way a team is playing.

That is a completely different team than what played Gardner Webb, they didn't even look like they wanted to be in the gym against them. I don't know if this will continue but as Bils said the B1G is down this year, this may be a year that they can make a run. They got 15 regular sesaon games left, can they win 9 of them. That may get them into the dance.

The things that Tim was saying were correct, but for the better part of December he has bagged on Miles and what a crappy coach he is. Sometimes you got to give someone his due for making some changes that have made a difference in the way a team is playing.

That is a completely different team than what played Gardner Webb, they didn't even look like they wanted to be in the gym against them. I don't know if this will continue but as Bils said the B1G is down this year, this may be a year that they can make a run. They got 15 regular sesaon games left, can they win 9 of them. That may get them into the dance.
For comparison's sake....12-6 got you a 4 way tie for 3rd last year. That'll be good enough to make the dance 19 out of 20 years.

For comparison's sake....12-6 got you a 4 way tie for 3rd last year. That'll be good enough to make the dance 19 out of 20 years.

The selection committee is going to take four B1G teams, most likely five. There's a lot of basketball left but it'd be interesting if NU finished in the top 4 or 5 with 10 or 11 conference wins. Would they be passed over for a team that finishes below them in conference but has a better overall record? I don't think so.

The selection committee is going to take four B1G teams, most likely five. There's a lot of basketball left but it'd be interesting if NU finished in the top 4 or 5 with 10 or 11 conference wins. Would they be passed over for a team that finishes below them in conference but has a better overall record? I don't think so.

It will be an interesting year for the big 10. There are 14 teams...even in a down year it's hard to imagine the committee isn't going to hand them 6 or 7 bids. That said 6th or 7th place is the league is going to be a lot more nervous on selection sunday than they usually are.

It will be an interesting year for the big 10. There are 14 teams...even in a down year it's hard to imagine the committee isn't going to hand them 6 or 7 bids. That said 6th or 7th place is the league is going to be a lot more nervous on selection sunday than they usually are.

Agree. It'd have to be an awfully down year for the B1G to not get 5 or 6 bids.

Fast Fingers! :Lol:
That was my first thought actually. I thought Ackos is the fastest PBP on Husker Max that I have ever seen. Then, I noticed that he was posting that Taylor missed his second FT while I was watcing him still dribbling the ball. Now, it's one of two things: 1) His B1G Network programming is a little ahead of mine--I live in Kansas, so I totally get if that's the case; or 2) @Ackos sees the future just before it happens and knows what is next and is wasting his time on Husker Max.

Nicolas-Cage-in-Next-Movie_thumb.jpg

Last edited:

Re-watching the game. In addition to the stellar offensive performance (short of the abysmal FT %age :Redface:) The Defensive performance was amazing to watch. Husker defenders were all over Iowa!

I was online last night seeing some of what you guys were saying, but I was pacing too much to jump on the keyboard and reply. I can't believe how involved in the game I was. That's a good thing in a day and age that I'm not loving college basketball like I used to. As the announcers kept commenting, that wasn't a game made close because of marginalism and mistakes, it was a game being played by two teams both performing at a high level. That high level was especially impressive because of the youth of both teams. Fantastic to see the calm and guys willing to step up in some very stressful situations.

I was online last night seeing some of what you guys were saying, but I was pacing too much to jump on the keyboard and reply. I can't believe how involved in the game I was. That's a good thing in a day and age that I'm not loving college basketball like I used to. As the announcers kept commenting, that wasn't a game made close because of marginalism and mistakes, it was a game being played by two teams both performing at a high level. That high level was especially impressive because of the youth of both teams. Fantastic to see the calm and guys willing to step up in some very stressful situations.

That was probably the most impressive thing. When players can go back to that experience and duplicate it because they have been there before, that is huge.

Last edited:
Agree but make your free throws for crying out loud.

Agree but make your free throws for crying out loud.

I turned into my dad last night watching Taylor brick 4 in a row. If you look at that kids motion, how is it no one ever tried to get him to just slow down his release? Watch how quickly he snaps his wrist and looks like he can't wait to get the ball out of his hand. Zero smooth on his stroke.

First, he's right, we actually have 3 guys who are pretty solid on the boards, with Jacobson, Morrow and Roby. Second, I've played in I think 3 double OTs, one being my final collegiate game. They are far more mentally draining than physically. Yes, you do get tired, but emotionally you are simply rung out. In the things I found most impressive about the entire evening was Webster maintaining a high level of defense, against possibly the best offensive player in the conference, for 10 minutes longer than I'm sure he planned. As a player, you kind of have a feel of just how aggressive you can be over 40 minutes based on your opponent. His intensity never seemed to waiver, and while Jok scored in bushels, I still give Webster credit for actually playing very solid defense on him. He had a smokin' hot shooter and screens galore to contend with. Remember, it's far easier to loaf a little on offense if you have to really play good defense against someone...unless you are one of the top offensive weapons on your team and the other top scorer fouls out. Huge pressure on Webster, and he rose to the occasion. His defense was extremely important on the last few shots Jok took.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back