• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #15, (L, 93-84), Sun, 1/6 @ Iowa (#44) (11-3) (0-3), 4:30pm CT, BTN

Jacobson has said he wanted to be more of an offensive option, and he didn't feel that was going to happen at Nebraska. He simply wasn't willing to be the guy hammering the boards, and getting his token 6-8 a game. Looking at his production so far at ISU, he was probably right in his decision.
My impression was that he wanted to be a stretch 4, not a post 4 or 5. He hadn't shown the game to play stretch 4, and he certainly wasn't going to play that position over Isaac Copeland. I haven't watched Jacobson play this year, but when I checked the stats early on, it didn't look like his game had changed much. I wish he would have stayed, but he's probably right about not getting to play where he wanted to. Ed Morrow would have also not got to play where he wanted, because he's not a swing 3 - he's not going to be allowed to do that anywhere unless his game changes radically.

ESPN stats for Jacobson (big difference in 3 pt made):

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3911895/michael-jacobson

Last edited:
My impression was that he wanted to be a stretch 4, not a post 4 or 5. He hadn't shown the game to play stretch 4, and he certainly wasn't going to play that position over Isaac Copeland. I haven't watched Jacobson play this year, but when I checked the stats early on, it didn't look like his game had changed much. I wish he would have stayed, but he's probably right about not getting to play where he wanted to. Ed Morrow would have also not got to play where he wanted, because he's not a swing 3 - he's not going to be allowed to do that anywhere unless his game changes radically.

I guess for me that is a hard thing to understand. I don't get why players don't want to play what they are suited for. Morrow was a guy that in his role as 4 was going to get 10-12 pts and 8 boards every game moving forward in his career. He didn't shoot well enough from outside to play a 3 spot. I think he is filling the same role at Marquette that he was at Nebraska right now. The same goes for Jacobson at ISU. Put those 2 on this team and they go from being a good team short on depth to a really good deep team.

I guess for me that is a hard thing to understand. I don't get why players don't want to play what they are suited for. Morrow was a guy that in his role as 4 was going to get 10-12 pts and 8 boards every game moving forward in his career. He didn't shoot well enough from outside to play a 3 spot. I think he is filling the same role at Marquette that he was at Nebraska right now. The same goes for Jacobson at ISU. Put those 2 on this team and they go from being a good team short on depth to a really good deep team.
I agree, but I don't know that Jacobson makes any progression at UNL - would maybe still come off the bench. He wouldn't have gotten the year off to work on his shot, either - would now be a senior leader, but role player. And finally, Roby wouldn't be playing center, so who knows if Nebraska would have ever found any lineup that worked.

I'm tired of being a Nebraska fan right now, but I've been tired of it since Collier. I like Miles, but I don't think he can recruit his way to the next level. And I really don't think he can be a bench coach at the top half of the Big Ten (not sure about the rest of them).

I agree, but I don't know that Jacobson makes any progression at UNL - would maybe still come off the bench. He wouldn't have gotten the year off to work on his shot, either - would now be a senior leader, but role player. And finally, Roby wouldn't be playing center, so who knows if Nebraska would have ever found any lineup that worked.

I'm tired of being a Nebraska fan right now, but I've been tired of it since Collier. I like Miles, but I don't think he can recruit his way to the next level. And I really don't think he can be a bench coach at the top half of the Big Ten (not sure about the rest of them).

I just don't know/understand why Nebraska can't recruit serviceable post players. I am not even talking about an all conference guy. I am talking about getting guys like Iowa or Illinois has. How come every other B1G team can find themselves a 6'10" 250lb guy from Croatia or Lithuania or where ever that can score 10 points and get 8 rebounds a game.

I just don't know/understand why Nebraska can't recruit serviceable post players. I am not even talking about an all conference guy. I am talking about getting guys like Iowa or Illinois has. How come every other B1G team can find themselves a 6'10" 250lb guy from Croatia or Lithuania or where ever that can score 10 points and get 8 rebounds a game.
Or Canada or Germany or Puerto Rico or Argentina or Australia. ;) They never seem to pan out (except in that last case).

ESPN stats for Jacobson (big difference in 3 pt made):

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3911895/michael-jacobson
No question the log jam of similar players was going to be an issue. Even if he’d accepted playing some 5, we still had Jordy on the roster. I wouldn’t trade Copeland for Jacobson, no way.

And let’s be honest, the only way an inside player is going to consistently score in Miles offense is if he can pop out and score from midrange, and occasionally stretch it to a 3. Otherwise it’s going to be a bunch of 5-7 point nights, and hustling for rebounds. I don’t blame a guy who feels he’s more than just that, taking his shot elsewhere.

Those 3 play pretty similar positions, and that doesn’t take into account Roby, who certainly isn’t a 5 either. Unless you think we are taking one of our perimeter players off the court, that’s 4 guys who want to start, sharing 80 minutes of playing time. That math isn’t going to work.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back