• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mayweather-McGregor

The site I'm looking at is so far behind, it doesn't even have the 10th round yet. Geez, the world could have ended and I wouldn't know it yet.

Mayweather and MacGregor hug it out during the post fight interviews in the ring

It really wasn't that close.

McGregor came out with plenty of energy and was the aggressor the first few rounds. Even won a couple. But he tends the win his MMA fights quickly. He wore down big time. And that played completely into Mayweather's wheelhouse.

Mayweather has no problem going the distance. He plays defense. Better than any boxer in a generation or more.

Kudos to McGregor for going as long as he did. The match swung heavily in Mayweather's favor the longer it went. He's just been doing this all of his life. 50-0 is no mistake.
That fight was a farce. A complete production and a joke to boxing. From the horrible Showtime crew to Mayweather who wouldn't throw a punch for several rounds, to McGregor who was completely out of place. The guy had zero balance and couldn't put out more than a love tap behind his punches.

In the first 5 rounds, Mayweather only threw 12 jabs and landed 3. 28 total punches in 3 rounds. It seemed he purposely was trying to give the appearance of a close fight by giving away early rounds.

Imagine if McGregor had walked into the ring against someone like Golovkin with no chance to hurt him and no defense. It would have been downright scary.

That fight was a farce. A complete production and a joke to boxing. From the horrible Showtime crew to Mayweather who wouldn't throw a punch for several rounds, to McGregor who was completely out of place. The guy had zero balance and couldn't put out more than a love tap behind his punches.

In the first 5 rounds, Mayweather only threw 12 jabs and landed 3. 28 total punches in 3 rounds. It seemed he purposely was trying to give the appearance of a close fight by giving away early rounds.

Imagine if McGregor had walked into the ring against someone like Golovkin with no chance to hurt him and no defense. It would have been downright scary.
:nod:
Some folks will try to push the narrative that McGregor was punishing Floyd in the first four rounds. That is absolutely not the case. The thing this fight made quite evident is Conor's punching power isn't all it's cracked up to be. Floyd found out quickly that Conor couldn't hurt him otherwise he wouldn't have stood in front of him and let him tee off. If Conor's power was worrisome, Floyd would've been moving. And, after he let Conor punch himself out, he stalked him with little regard for leaving himself open because he knew he could walk right through McGregor's best shot.

The only good thing to come out of the match is that many people who never watched boxing before in their lives tuned in. So while it was a hyped up farce of a fight, I'd argue that it may have been good for boxing, too.

It will be interesting to see what Floyd does next.

:nod:
Some folks will try to push the narrative that McGregor was punishing Floyd in the first four rounds. That is absolutely not the case. The thing this fight made quite evident is Conor's punching power isn't all it's cracked up to be. Floyd found out quickly that Conor couldn't hurt him otherwise he wouldn't have stood in front of him and let him tee off. If Conor's power was worrisome, Floyd would've been moving. And, after he let Conor punch himself out, he stalked him with little regard for leaving himself open because he knew he could walk right through McGregor's best shot.
That's what I was asking myself. It seemed to me that Mayweather was just waiting for Mac to run out of juice. Those last two rounds when south quick.

The only good thing to come out of the match is that many people who never watched boxing before in their lives tuned in. So while it was a hyped up farce of a fight, I'd argue that it may have been good for boxing, too.

It will be interesting to see what Floyd does next.

The first time I heard about it, from my 2 teenage boys that like mma, I figured it was a marketing ploy. I told them McGregor wouldn't have much of a shot and they were like but he's champion this and did this, and I told them boxing was a different fight...
Thing is they knew McGregor and mma but not much of boxing and I'm willing to bet that's most of their generation and I agree with you excellent exposure for boxing. How many youngsters on the street will go box now etc.

It really wasn't that close.

McGregor came out with plenty of energy and was the aggressor the first few rounds. Even won a couple. But he tends the win his MMA fights quickly. He wore down big time. And that played completely into Mayweather's wheelhouse.

Mayweather has no problem going the distance. He plays defense. Better than any boxer in a generation or more.

Kudos to McGregor for going as long as he did. The match swung heavily in Mayweather's favor the longer it went. He's just been doing this all of his life. 50-0 is no mistake.

I watched the whole thing. The above sums it up perfectly.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back