• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Maybe We're Worse Than We Thought

Flat Water

Recruit
2 Year Member
Last week I asked whether maybe we are better than we thought. This week I'm asking the opposite question. I will freely admit that I was wrong -- I had a lot of confidence this week and didn't see this result coming at all. Today we were totally undisciplined and unprepared to play. I certainly didn't think we would still be dealing with those issues in Frost's third year.

Worse than my low expectations to start the year.

I don’t expect us to win again this year and likely no more than 2 wins next year, so hard for them to be worse going forward.

Yeah. After last week's game, I thought we had a good shot at winning out. Then this. I don't know what's wrong, but it's getting rather annoying. I'm actually starting to get tired of hearing SF say "we're gonna get this fixed." I hope he's right, and I hope it's sooner rather than later if it's going to happen. I guess we'll see.

Here's my Husker football strategy that I've employed since we lost in the Big Ten title game many years ago....

Watch the game but with zero expectations. When things start to get away from us, shut off the TV and go about your life.

Today, for example, I turned the tv off in the second quarter and didn't check the score till it was game over. I did some odds and ends around the house and made a dent on that long term honey-do list. Saved me some stress/frustration and earned some brownie points. I have no regrets.

People keep saying how much more talented we are and how much better facilities we have over most in the conference. I agree with what Bill Parcells said. You are what your record says you are. Scott is by far off to the worst start and no amount of talking of rebuilding and changing culture matters. 10-18. Probably will be 11-20 at the end of the year. We just don’t look fast or talented at all. And not seeing any improvement in year three in this area is troubling.

00AF1F2D-5AE8-4A4B-A933-8E06B163F2C0.png

Last week I asked whether maybe we are better than we thought. This week I'm asking the opposite question. I will freely admit that I was wrong -- I had a lot of confidence this week and didn't see this result coming at all. Today we were totally undisciplined and unprepared to play. I certainly didn't think we would still be dealing with those issues in Frost's third year.

The OWH today stated that the offense is "a 1990's high school offense". It's worse than that; no identity other than QB left, QB right, QB up the middle, throw screens to the flat with 3 DB's waiting on 3rd and 10, stretch plays that gain 0 yards because the O line can't push a DL guy a yard or 2, throw a pass to a WR that is double covered and another WR is wide open, repeatedly.

Worse than my low expectations to start the year.

I don’t expect us to win again this year and likely no more than 2 wins next year, so hard for them to be worse going forward.
If NU doesn’t win again this year, and goes 2-10 next year (not an easy schedule btw), then you’d have to make a change after 2021. Can’t keep going this way. Shoot man, who would have even thought 3 years ago that it’s possible NU is already about to be looking for yet another HC? Answer, .001%. Now, it’s actually looking highly likely.

I never understood the optimism around this season to start with. The defense is very inexperienced up front and I thought every B1G team would run at will all over us because of that. I think I am right about that. I did think the offense would be much better though, which was the one thing that I thought might keep us in some games. It hasn't been close to functional. For all the talk about RB recruits, WR recruits, even QB position-those have all shown very little this year. That's our offense. Zero production and apparently zero understanding of the offense by the players playing in it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back