• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Maybe the OL isn't as bad as some are saying...

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date

Yes... so that you have more numbers than the other side at the point of attack... you'd think some of these DONU fans would understand that... that is the whole point of option plays, pulling guards and others on sweeps... virtually any offensive play and strategy.
Do you both honestly think that’s what’s going on with our offensive line? All of us questioning our ability to control or even manage the line of scrimmage just haven’t figured out that our line is purposely letting defensive lineman penetrate into the backfield because that is how the play is drawn up. We all know or most of us know when a offensive lineman should give up his block for a screen or pulling situation. If you believe that is why we are consistently seeing our opponents in the backfield or stuffing our run game, then the state of Nebraska does not have enough red Kool-Aid to satisfy your need to dismiss our obvious issues. I may be totally wrong but I am fearful that we really get exposed against Ohio state, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Northwestern. I guess I could just chalk it up to us trying to establish our screen game.

Last edited:
I fully expect to see a lot of stunts and blitzes against those teams. Ohio State, especially, I think we'll see using their athletes and speed on a number of different blitzes to disrupt the timing of our offense. Guys crossing over our lineman have seemed to confuse us every game
I'm thinking the exact opposite regarding OSU. Why would OSU....littered with better players at every position take tons of unnecessary risks with blitzes when they will be able to rush 3 and 4 and still give our 5-man front fits. I'm sure we will see some twists and such, but nothing exotic. Playing vanilla leaves 7 5 and high 4* talents roaming the field begging AM to beat them. Scott wants chunk plays. The Buckeyes #1 strategy will be to limit those plays and force Scott to successfully execute 8,10,12 play drives....something we are not good at doing right now. I could be wrong here, but if I'm in Columbus, that's what im doing.

Last edited:
Majority of teams have tendencies and things they do well. It's on film. You hear it everywhere at every position. When the film study you do and the gameplan you prepare, the plays you rep, the responsibilities change. This is a big deal. Huge deal. The thing with an experienced line is they can pull from past experience and change on the fly. This is how Blah Blah University played us. So it is not an excuse. Especially when you have coaches that love exploiting mismatches. How do you think teams end up with LBs on people they cant cover. Its film study. In this personal, they run this D and this is how they cover the slot. So you put Wandale in the back field..motion him to the slot and exploit the mismatch you saw on film. If you dont think football is rocket science...you arent paying attention.

It's not rocket science, you sound like Bill Callahan.

I'm thinking the exact opposite regarding OSU. Why would OSU....littered with better players at every position take tons of unnecessary risks with blitzes when they will be able to rush 3 and 4 and still give our 5-man front fits. I'm sure we will see some twists and such, but nothing exotic. Playing vanilla leaves 7 5 and high 4* talents roaming the field begging AM to beat them. Scott wants chunk plays. The Buckeyes #1 strategy will be to limit those plays and force Scott to successfully execute 8,10,12 play drives....something we are not good at doing right now. I could be wrong here, but if I'm in Columbus, that's what im doing.

Pretty much my thinking. They are going to make us execute from play to play to get down the field (something we've not shown we can do so far). They will toss in some wrinkles, but heavy blitzing and stunting isn't the smart strategy for them.

Now, we did put up 31 offensive points last time with 184 yards rushing and 266 yards passing. If we do anything close to that, we'll have a game, IMO, but we need to get better. Big game this weekend again

It's not rocket science, you sound like Bill Callahan.
Then why does having upper classmen help? Why do amount of starts matter? Why do the smartest lineman play longer in the NFL? Are you one of those guys that thinks height, weight, strength is all you need?

Northern Illinois was a crap defense and suddenly all of our OL issues are fixed? That is not how it works.

1. Center is getting better push, watch Jurgens he is a one on one animal.
2. Depth is better. Bando comes in and line play is still good.
3. Second team line play was coherent in the 4th quarter which bodes well for further down the road and any other injuries that may occur. (Benhart looked good but skinny for a big, big man!).

The second team hustled. The first team is loafing. We are so worried to hurt the starters feelings that we have to wait for injuries to replace mediocrity...

HuskerSuperGenius said:
4. Part of "poor line play" was Mills not seeing/running where holes were the first two games, that seems to be improving quickly.

This is a head scratcher, because Mills ran far better than Washignton when it came to reading holes. The only criticism of Mills would be he needs work on securing the ball and to be slightly more patient on line pulls. But the OL has been slow as molasses on pulls, so I recognize it's not just him.

HuskerSuperGenius said:
Finally, we have to change our understanding of the Husker running game.

Scott's offense is predicated on "chunnk plays". This is NOT Dr Tom's running game so instead of 12 play drives taking 6 minutes, we will have 4 play drives taking 1:24.

Nobody said it was. Football is about blocking, tackling, moving the feet, throwing, catching, and kicking. As a team, we currently are proficient at none of them.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Then why does having upper classmen help? Why do amount of starts matter? Why do the smartest lineman play longer in the NFL? Are you one of those guys that thinks height, weight, strength is all you need?

Of course not, you need skill as well. With that said Offensive Lineman at Nebraska should be able to block guys from a school like South Alabama Teams like that you should be able to go out and impose your will on them.

Northern Illinois was a crap defense and suddenly all of our OL issues are fixed? That is not how it works.

The second team hustled. The first team is loafing. We are so worried to hurt the starters feelings that we have to wait for injuries to replace mediocrity...

This is a head scratcher, because Mills ran far better than Washignton when it came to reading holes. The only criticism of Mills would be he needs work on securing the ball and to be slightly more patient on line pulls. But the OL has been slow as molasses on pulls, so I recognize it's not just him.

Nobody said it was. Football is about blocking, tackling, moving the feet, throwing, catching, and kicking. As a team, we currently are proficient at none of them.
As to point 1, Mills was the first 100 yard rusher against them in 2 years. That includes a game against the number 10 ranked team in the country this year.

Point 2 You have no evidence to support so that is a flat out lie.

point 3 you had me till the last sentence.

Point 4 We already talked about rushing. For a team that can't tackle we are somehow miraculously holding opposing teams to 2.2 ypc in the rushing game. So are they falling down on their own? Tripping on the yd lines? (For the record that is half a yd better than Utah held them)

Is this to say we do not have things to fix. Nope we have plenty to fix. However to say we are doing nothing right is an out and out fabrication.

Are you saying I can’t believe what someone reports on Twitter!?

I comprehended the tweet in the OP fully
I saw what you believe, which you have every right to do so. I was merely trying to let you know that the tweet has completely taken a direction of its own.

In his presser which can be found in this thread, Walters said NIU came out with different looks and the guys adjusted to it which goes to show the character of the guys. The phrase "operated blindly" came from Reynoldson in his tweet...his words, not what Walters said. If the team doesn't adjust, yeah, there's a problem; however, the team did adjust.

Go just with that tweet or check out the video. Whether you do or don't, it's cool either way because there's a game tomorrow night and there will be more tweets.

As to point 1, Mills was the first 100 yard rusher against them in 2 years. That includes a game against the number 10 ranked team in the country this year.

Point 2 You have no evidence to support so that is a flat out lie.

point 3 you had me till the last sentence.

Point 4 We already talked about rushing. For a team that can't tackle we are somehow miraculously holding opposing teams to 2.2 ypc in the rushing game. So are they falling down on their own? Tripping on the yd lines? (For the record that is half a yd better than Utah held them)

Is this to say we do not have things to fix. Nope we have plenty to fix. However to say we are doing nothing right is an out and out fabrication.
I owe you a beer. Thank you.

I think what's been frustrating is this type of analysis COULD be right. The fact that someone can watch our first three games and even be debating whether this is right or wrong. We do have some concerns.

He has an opinion that we just aren't very good at a lot of things that are fundamental and form an identity. I'm trying to get past that and focus on beating the teams we should and showing some progress. Not sure why we are struggling in some areas, but we clearly are. That's not really debatable. The 'why' is highly debatable.

AM has given us some concern. Not really up for debate, unless you're happy with his overall play. He's been hot and cold.

The O-line has given us some concern. Debatable as to why. Some say depth, youth, experience, blame the RB's, blame injuries, recruiting, snaps, reads etc etc etc.

Play calling has given us some concern. Not everyone, but a number of people. Why we have done what we've done, when and how we've done it...all of that...debatable as to why.

WR's have given us some concern. Not everyone. However, we seem to lack some down and distance guys. Seem to not be able to get it over the top. Guys maybe not reading the D well. Man vs. zone. Oline didn't hold as long as needed. AM not seeing the field well. Play calling. Who knows, but still up for debate.

RB's. Mills. Washington. Wandale. Where is the Duck R? Where is the guy getting in pockets in space. Where is the swing pass. Why no power game against weaker opponents. It's fair to raise concern and offer a why.

Illinois will give us a good measure of our progress and slowly chip away at some of these concerns. If you don't have them, then that's just awesome. But many do. It's hard to just attack someone's 'why' right now, because who really knows that at this point.

Last edited:

i really hope he didn't say that.

I guess we should just pack our bags and go home if a defense lines up in something different. :mad:

Line play at its basic relies on knowing where the play is going, communicating prior to snap and hit somebody and stay with the block until the man is down or whistle
Don’t be a goof, no where in there did he say they panicked when they saw formations they hadn’t planned for. And why is it you have issues with watching film to prepare for an opponent? Will it show all the possible scenarios? Of course not, and teams can and will adapt. The fact our coach mentioned we saw things we weren’t expecting, and had to overcome them, that’s exactly what I’d hope to hear.

I’m not sure why so many are all cranky we were prepared for every possible scheme we could face.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back