• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Maybe the OL isn't as bad as some are saying...

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
humbly disagree. I played thru college.

we are seeing at times pathetic efforts by an assortment of our lineman either blocking no one or getting beat when blocking someone.

Its ridiculous to make an excuse about whatever damn scheme they used.

I guess when I read the statement it means that he was proud of how they played even though they saw things from NIU that they hadn't seen before. Even Frost talked about this after the game. That they used a lot of 3-3 stack and they went to 12 personnel to combat it.

It just amazes me how some of you guys hang on every word the coaches and players utter.

That did make me chuckle. I don't think it's all doom and gloom-I really do think we will get better, it's just not a cohesive unit right now and it's not all on the line. I do think most would have to admit to themselves that calling our present performance along the offensive line anything more than mediocre would be judging them through the lens of a Husker fan.
I don't think anyone has. They have been nothing more than mediocre. But their play has improved each week. That's all people are saying, but some folks will even disagree with that...which in my eyes is being the exact opposite of a homer....and that's being a contrarian. And for the record, you have been fair with your assessment for the most part. I just dont believe anyone who says there has been no improvement and that they just suck. If they spent time watching the film from each game, they'd walk away feeling a little better about the overall situation. And I'm as critical of this team as anyone...as you've seen it.

i really hope he didn't say that.

I guess we should just pack our bags and go home if a defense lines up in something different. :mad:

Line play at its basic relies on knowing where the play is going, communicating prior to snap and hit somebody and stay with the block until the man is down or whistle
I guess when I read the statement it means that he was proud of how they played even though they saw things from NIU that they hadn't seen before. Even Frost talked about this after the game. That they used a lot of 3-3 stack and they went to 12 personnel to combat it.

It just amazes me how some of you guys hang on every word the coaches and players utter.
Yep, context is key. Walters was asked a question, and, in his answer, he said that NIU "came out in the first series and did a defensive front that the team wasn't expecting and the guys made adjustments that show the type of character we have...."

The question was asked at the 4:35 mark and that part of his answer is at the 5:09 mark. No excuses...just a response based on what actually happened.

Here is the video for context...

I don't think anyone has. They have been nothing more than mediocre. But their play has improved each week. That's all people are saying, but some folks will even disagree with that...which in my eyes is being the exact opposite of a homer....and that's being a contrarian. And for the record, you have been fair with your assessment for the most part. I just dont believe anyone who says there has been no improvement and that they just suck. If they spent time watching the film from each game, they'd walk away feeling a little better about the overall situation. And I'm as critical of this team as anyone...as you've seen it.
Most people have no clue as to what they are looking at via line play. Most would be surprised to learn there are plays we actually want guys to get through the line. screen plays are one example. You half halfheartedly throw the block let the line through block and let them through. Throw a screen behind them and now you have your OL blocking LB in the open field. Many would look at that and say oh we got lucky on that one. Look how close they got to our QB. When all along it was planned.

Now I am not saying that is what was going on with our guys. Just giving an example. There are a thousand other examples. A play like the sweep motion shuffle pass we did to Mo last weekend often involves leaving the back side end unblocked. You are betting that your back/WR can outrun the end and not get caught from behind. Again very often that DE will get close to the QB prior to him offloading the ball.

I say all of this to say. Most people see what they want to see, so watching the games again will not help them.

I'm not going to sit here and say these guys suck. I don't think it's the case and I think we're too early on in the season anyways to make that statement. I am concerned that we have too many guys with not enough experience though and one of our most critical positions (C) has literally never played offensive line before. If stuff that NIU is doing is confusing these guys, I can only imagine what we'll see from OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc. Yikes.

Last edited:
I'm not going to sit here and say these guys suck. I don't think it's the case and I think we're too early on in the season anyways to make that statement. I am concerned that we have too many guys with not enough experience though and one of our most critical positions (C) has literally never played offensive line before. If stuff that NIU is doing is confusing these guys, I can only imagine what we'll see from OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc. Yikes.
I don't know if they were confused. They saw something different and adjusted accordingly based on what he actually said. Reynoldson's tweet made it sound more than it was.

Interesting you would say that.
The three teams you mention are more likely to stay in their base defense because they feel they have better personnel then we have. They will stay scheme sound to not make mistakes and just try and physically win on defense.
In our first three games DONU had the better personnel so our opponents used scheme to even the playing field, something we will likely see with IU on this Saturday.

Most people have no clue as to what they are looking at via line play. Most would be surprised to learn there are plays we actually want guys to get through the line. screen plays are one example. You half halfheartedly throw the block let the line through block and let them through. Throw a screen behind them and now you have your OL blocking LB in the open field. Many would look at that and say oh we got lucky on that one. Look how close they got to our QB. When all along it was planned.

Now I am not saying that is what was going on with our guys. Just giving an example. There are a thousand other examples. A play like the sweep motion shuffle pass we did to Mo last weekend often involves leaving the back side end unblocked. You are betting that your back/WR can outrun the end and not get caught from behind. Again very often that DE will get close to the QB prior to him offloading the ball.

I say all of this to say. Most people see what they want to see, so watching the games again will not help them.
I would venture to guess that most on this board have some football IQ and realize that on a called screen the goal is to have the DL over pursue the QB so that the o-line can set up blocking lanes for the back receiving the screen. That's not what is consistently going down when our QB immediately has to bail on the pocket. I do think we have shown improvement and I do believe we will incrementally improve but we will also be going against tougher competition. It's not being a bad fan, entitled fan, or whatever else you can use to describe folks that have concerns regarding our ability to control the line of scrimmage.

No one said we weren't having any issues. Just said that maybe it's not as bad as we like to pretend around here. No one is even saying all is well or fixed. Just saying that some here really overreact just 3 games in. Osborne always said the offensive line takes the longest to come around. I for one am happy that our defense is ahead of our offense for a change.

I go back and forth. There are times when their protection is pretty good, relative to giving AM having time to pass or run. There are times in the running game where the RB has some options, inside and out, depending on the down and distance.

However, there are times when there are lineman COMPLETELY missing their assignment. There are plays where the lineman in question is just lost. That's a between the ears issue more so than S&C. There seems to be a disconnect with "This is what we are trying to do on this play, in this situation". That's why I look at Red Zone particularly. Overtime. Lot's of people in the box to deal with, run or pass. Not sure we've excelled there.

If you watch the games, the one on one's aren't so bad. Interior D line and DE's have been blocked ok. The LB's have given us fits at times. The O line is learning how to play games. Learning how to perform outside of simulated situations. I'm confident they know how to block. I'm confident they know how to follow the playbook. Pretty sure they know what's a hold and what isn't. They are probably well conditioned. Sometimes you just have to get in the way, other times you need to have superior technique and leverage. They are figuring some things out. Sometimes the TE has a responsibility related to the oline and this takes some time. I think a lack of quick slants and quick fly patterns makes the line be 'accountable' on every single play. I'm sure someone will come on here and say they've seen these quick plays, but I haven't. I think the line is expecting some quicker throws at times and think they have successfully blocked for the called play, but when reads aren't made or guys aren't open, things break down.

I don't think the line was intended to be a strength. Yet. But the things that were supposed to be strengths really haven't been. So they get the spotlight more often than they should.

In 1970 we went ahead with 20 minutes left in regulation. USC tied us with a bit over 8 minutes left in regulation. I've never seen stats and play calling over the fourth quarter (I don't remember if I listened to PBP, and if I did, I don't remember what happened), but I question the conclusion that we "Played for a tie"; or even that USC necessarily did. You probably aren't going for two with that much time left if you are USC. You probably are not going to do anything desperate or risky if you are either team. But that isn't the same as playing for a tie.

Edit: found a little more

I have always felt Dr Tom was correct, not because he was "being a man, going for the win," I suspect if he had gone for the tie and succeeded, that we may not have gotten the NC nod... I believe that was his thinking and I agree.

I also think truly playing for a tie at times results in Karma being a B****... Luck be a Lady tonight is a better approach.

ND was ND...
There's no doubt in my mind that if TO goes for the tie that NU wins the NC.

Our furious comeback combined with better record and infinitely stronger strength of schedule would have secured TO's first NC!

I go back and forth. There are times when their protection is pretty good, relative to giving AM having time to pass or run. There are times in the running game where the RB has some options, inside and out, depending on the down and distance.

However, there are times when there are lineman COMPLETELY missing their assignment. There are plays where the lineman in question is just lost. That's a between the ears issue more so than S&C. There seems to be a disconnect with "This is what we are trying to do on this play, in this situation". That's why I look at Red Zone particularly. Overtime. Lot's of people in the box to deal with, run or pass. Not sure we've excelled there.

If you watch the games, the one on one's aren't so bad. Interior D line and DE's have been blocked ok. The LB's have given us fits at times. The O line is learning how to play games. Learning how to perform outside of simulated situations. I'm confident they know how to block. I'm confident they know how to follow the playbook. Pretty sure they know what's a hold and what isn't. They are probably well conditioned. Sometimes you just have to get in the way, other times you need to have superior technique and leverage. They are figuring some things out. Sometimes the TE has a responsibility related to the oline and this takes some time. I think a lack of quick slants and quick fly patterns makes the line be 'accountable' on every single play. I'm sure someone will come on here and say they've seen these quick plays, but I haven't. I think the line is expecting some quicker throws at times and think they have successfully blocked for the called play, but when reads aren't made or guys aren't open, things break down.

I don't think the line was intended to be a strength. Yet. But the things that were supposed to be strengths really haven't been. So they get the spotlight more often than they should.
Well said.

One of the things that I really like about SF and his team is that it appears they've bought into working hard in practice to get better. Very often teams are what you see in weeks 2 and 3 of the season ... if the team is truly bought in ... then we should see continued improvement throughout the course of the year.

It is/will be year 3 of the program, their redshirt freshman center will be getting better and the QB/RBs will do their part as well!

I think we will see incremental improvement each game. This group has a chance to be pretty decent by the end of this year and really good next year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back