• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Maurice Washington Admitted as FULL QUALIFIER

Does anyone know if the 4-game rule applies to academic redshirts?

Good question, my guess is that the can't play at all since that is the rule.

From the NCAA site.

"Academic redshirts" are student-athletes that may practice in the initial term and receive athletics aid during the initial year of full-time collegiate enrollment, but may not compete in their first year of full-time collegiate enrollment. In order to meet the academic redshirt standard, a college-bound student-athlete must:

1. Complete 16 core courses;
  2. Meet the academic redshirt sliding scale (GPA and ACT/SAT sum score); and
  3. Graduate from high school.

Looks like a difference in qualifier and non-qualifier as well.

14.3.1.2 Academic Redshirt. An academic redshirt may receive institutional athletically related financial aid but may not compete during the first academic year in residence. An academic redshirt may practice only on campus or at the institution’s regular practice facility during the first regular academic term in residence. An academic redshirt must successfully complete nine semester or eight quarter hours of academic credit in each applicable regular academic term in order to be eligible for practice in the immediately subsequent term of his or her initial academic year of residence. An academic redshirt is defined as one who is a high school graduate and who presented the same academic qualifications applicable to qualifiers (see Bylaw 14.3.1.1) except for the following: (Adopted: 10/27/11, Revised: 4/26/12 effective 8/1/16 for student-athletes initially enrolling full time in a collegiate institution on or after 8/1/16)

14.3.1 Eligibility for Financial Aid, Practice and Competition—Qualifiers and Academic Redshirts. A student-athlete who enrolls in a member institution as an entering freshman with no previous full-time college attendance shall meet the following academic requirements, as certified by the NCAA Eligibility Center, as approved by the Board of Governors, and any applicable institutional and conference regulations, to be considered a qualifier or an academic redshirt. (Revised: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/94, 1/9/96 effective 8/1/97, 3/22/06, 5/9/07, 10/27/11, 4/26/12 effective 8/1/16 for student-athletes initially enrolling full time in a collegiate institution on or after 8/1/16, 10/30/14) 14.3.1.1 Qualifier. A qualifier shall be eligible for financial aid, practice and competition during the first academic year in residence. A qualifier is defined as one who is a high school graduate and who presented the following academic qualifications: (Revised: 1/10/90, 1/10/92 effective 8/1/95, 1/16/93 effective 8/1/90, 1/14/94 effective 8/1/96, 2/9/95, 1/11/00 effective 8/1/11, 11/1/01 effective 8/1/05, 4/24/02 effective 8/1/08, 10/31/02 effective 8/1/03 and 8/1/05, 4/26/06, 5/31/06, 5/9/07, 10/27/11, 4/26/12 effective 8/1/16 for student-athletes initially enrolling full time in a collegiate institution on or after 8/1/16)

14.3.2 Eligibility for Financial Aid, Practice and Competition—Nonqualifiers. 14.3.2.1 Nonqualifier. A nonqualifier is a student who has not graduated from high school or who, at the time specified in the regulation (see Bylaw 14.3), did not present the core-curriculum grade-point average and/ or SAT/ACT score required for a qualifier or an academic redshirt. (Revised: 10/27/11, 4/26/12 effective 8/1/16 for student-athletes initially enrolling full time in a collegiate institution on or after 8/1/16) 14.3.2.1.1 Eligibility for Aid, Practice and Competition. An entering freshman with no previous college attendance who was a nonqualifier at the time of enrollment in a Division I institution shall not be eligible for competition or practice during the first academic year of residence. However, such a student shall be eligible for nonathletics institutional financial aid that is not from an athletics source and is based on financial need only, consistent with institutional and conference regulations. (Revised: 1/10/95 effective 8/1/96)

C

Last edited:

Good question, my guess is that the can't play at all since that is the rule.

From the NCAA site.

"Academic redshirts" are student-athletes that may practice in the initial term and receive athletics aid during the initial year of full-time collegiate enrollment, but may not compete in their first year of full-time collegiate enrollment. In order to meet the academic redshirt standard, a college-bound student-athlete must:

1. Complete 16 core courses;
  2. Meet the academic redshirt sliding scale (GPA and ACT/SAT sum score); and
  3. Graduate from high school.

Looks like a difference in qualifier and non-qualifier as well.

14.3.1.2 Academic Redshirt. An academic redshirt may receive institutional athletically related financial aid but may not compete during the first academic year in residence. An academic redshirt may practice only on campus or at the institution’s regular practice facility during the first regular academic term in residence. An academic redshirt must successfully complete nine semester or eight quarter hours of academic credit in each applicable regular academic term in order to be eligible for practice in the immediately subsequent term of his or her initial academic year of residence. An academic redshirt is defined as one who is a high school graduate and who presented the same academic qualifications applicable to qualifiers (see Bylaw 14.3.1.1) except for the following: (Adopted: 10/27/11, Revised: 4/26/12 effective 8/1/16 for student-athletes initially enrolling full time in a collegiate institution on or after 8/1/16)

14.3.1 Eligibility for Financial Aid, Practice and Competition—Qualifiers and Academic Redshirts. A student-athlete who enrolls in a member institution as an entering freshman with no previous full-time college attendance shall meet the following academic requirements, as certified by the NCAA Eligibility Center, as approved by the Board of Governors, and any applicable institutional and conference regulations, to be considered a qualifier or an academic redshirt. (Revised: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/94, 1/9/96 effective 8/1/97, 3/22/06, 5/9/07, 10/27/11, 4/26/12 effective 8/1/16 for student-athletes initially enrolling full time in a collegiate institution on or after 8/1/16, 10/30/14) 14.3.1.1 Qualifier. A qualifier shall be eligible for financial aid, practice and competition during the first academic year in residence. A qualifier is defined as one who is a high school graduate and who presented the following academic qualifications: (Revised: 1/10/90, 1/10/92 effective 8/1/95, 1/16/93 effective 8/1/90, 1/14/94 effective 8/1/96, 2/9/95, 1/11/00 effective 8/1/11, 11/1/01 effective 8/1/05, 4/24/02 effective 8/1/08, 10/31/02 effective 8/1/03 and 8/1/05, 4/26/06, 5/31/06, 5/9/07, 10/27/11, 4/26/12 effective 8/1/16 for student-athletes initially enrolling full time in a collegiate institution on or after 8/1/16)

14.3.2 Eligibility for Financial Aid, Practice and Competition—Nonqualifiers. 14.3.2.1 Nonqualifier. A nonqualifier is a student who has not graduated from high school or who, at the time specified in the regulation (see Bylaw 14.3), did not present the core-curriculum grade-point average and/ or SAT/ACT score required for a qualifier or an academic redshirt. (Revised: 10/27/11, 4/26/12 effective 8/1/16 for student-athletes initially enrolling full time in a collegiate institution on or after 8/1/16) 14.3.2.1.1 Eligibility for Aid, Practice and Competition. An entering freshman with no previous college attendance who was a nonqualifier at the time of enrollment in a Division I institution shall not be eligible for competition or practice during the first academic year of residence. However, such a student shall be eligible for nonathletics institutional financial aid that is not from an athletics source and is based on financial need only, consistent with institutional and conference regulations. (Revised: 1/10/95 effective 8/1/96)

C
Solesfr, looks like somebody is speaking in tongues. It is only valid if somebody can interpret it. So....

14.3.1 says you must meet the 14.3 qualifications (not included) to qualify for money, practice and play.
14.3.1.2 (and preceding verbiage says) to be an academic redshirt you must graduate take 16 hours and meet some sort of sliding scale, then you get money and practice but still cannot play.

It does appear that the cannot play rule probably does trump the new 4 game allowance. I would want to see how the new rule is worded before attempting to interpret tongues again.

To the next poster, who will say I interpreted this all wrong, I say, you are probably right. Enjoy.

May not is purely speculation at this point in time just so we set the record straight. Until we get official word that is all it is

I fully expect Coach Frost to address roster moves when Fall Camp gets underway. Until that happens we need to be very careful posting rumors/speculation as many folks take it as fact.

Thanks

RR

Sound advice RR.

I am very happy for Maurice, and know he will be in good hands at NU if he is LD.

My wife has dyslexia, and one of my grandsons has a similar condition. The differences in how my wife was treated in the 60s and how my grandson is treated now are night and day. My 15 year-old grandson was just named "Academic All-American" by USA Fencing.

In my last 20 years of college teaching, I was at a school with a very good department that assisted LD students. Only one of the many students I had who were designated LD was, in my opinion, gaming the system. I know I had no problem helping with their accommodations, including my reading the tests to a Marine who had PTSD acquired during his service in Iraq. I never heard complaints from any of my colleagues. Personally, I am delighted that schools have recognized how to help.
MyBraska don't take this wrong me quoting you. I just choose one of the posts to bring out my point or my question. My question is....does anyone else have any concern about so many posts referencing a learning disability that hasn't been publicly diagnosed?

Solesfr, looks like somebody is speaking in tongues. It is only valid if somebody can interpret it. So....

14.3.1 says you must meet the 14.3 qualifications (not included) to qualify for money, practice and play.
14.3.1.2 (and preceding verbiage says) to be an academic redshirt you must graduate take 16 hours and meet some sort of sliding scale, then you get money and practice but still cannot play.

It does appear that the cannot play rule probably does trump the new 4 game allowance. I would want to see how the new rule is worded before attempting to interpret tongues again.

To the next poster, who will say I interpreted this all wrong, I say, you are probably right. Enjoy.

Knock yourself out.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D119.pdf

C

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back