• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Matthew Anderson Transferring

I think this is another example of a lack of patience in today’s college football. Kids don’t allow themselves enough time to develop. Every kid’s body is different. Not everyone can get to 300 pounds of good weight by year two or three. But this is the new era of the transfer portal. It’s now easy come easy go. We had just better make sure we bring em in as well as we watch em go.

Good luck to the kid as his next stop.

I can't believe I forgot about him. Great call. They will put their best 5 out there. I believe they think Corcoran, Benhart, Jurgens, and Piper are the best 4. Now you have to figure out if Banks, Nourilli, or Hixson are next best.

I just hope that evaluation is based on best five on opening day against Illinois. In 2020, I felt like we put out the guys we thought would be the best by the end of the season. Taking a hit in the present for future benefit makes sense in Year 1 or Year 2, gets dicey in Year 3 and is probably unwise in Year 4.

I think this is another example of a lack of patience in today’s college football. Kids don’t allow themselves enough time to develop. Every kid’s body is different. Not everyone can get to 300 pounds of good weight by year two or three. But this is the new era of the transfer portal. It’s now easy come easy go. We had just better make sure we bring em in as well as we watch em go.

In this case, if he can't put on good weight, he risks repeating the John Raridon experience. It's probably best for both parties for him to move on at this point. I hope he finds a place he can get on the field and be successful. I hope we use the roster spot wisely.

In fairness, he could simply see the water around him rising, and it gets to a point that it’s not just your classmates that passing you, but younger guys as well. He could be a solid player in a year or two, but we might have the spots filled with 2 or 3 year starters, and stud second teamers behind them. The young man might be feeling his football career is likely going to be at the next level down. Nothing wrong with that, it could just be a numbers thing.

I think Fritzsche has a good chance to be our swing tackle like Gaylord was. Corcoran and Benhart have tackle pretty locked up, unless they do like they did with Farniok and move Corcoran inside. I think we have more options and are deeper at guard and center so I don't like that move as much. But you are choosing between Nourilli, Piper, Hixson, Bando, Farniok, and Jurgens for the 3 interior spots. That's pretty good depth.

Lynn... not sure on him at this point.
Where is Ezra Miller fitting in? Alot of names on the OL roster which is a good thing, similar to what is being built at the OLB and ILB position.

One thing with guy's being buried on the depth chart 3 or 4 deep, really wish rosters and college coaches would go more towards an NFL style regarding special teams. You maybe buried on the depth chart but you will be a big part of special teams. With that and knowing that, and obviously needing a coach, you can structure alot of practice time for special teams.

Don't want to sabotage the thread regarding special teams but felt that is where Anderson may have been of some help.

Where is Ezra Miller fitting in? Alot of names on the OL roster which is a good thing, similar to what is being built at the OLB and ILB position.

One thing with guy's being buried on the depth chart 3 or 4 deep, really wish rosters and college coaches would go more towards an NFL style regarding special teams. You maybe buried on the depth chart but you will be a big part of special teams. With that and knowing that, and obviously needing a coach, you can structure alot of practice time for special teams.

Don't want to sabotage the thread regarding special teams but felt that is where Anderson may have been of some help.
Ezra Miller was out of football for awhile, tough to get back into it. I think you have a better chance of seeing the other guys listed than him.

I don't know where Anderson could have played on special teams. Too light to do FG stuff or punt shield, and we aren't having an OL run down on coverage.

Any word if Fritsche and Lynn are progressing?
I can't believe I forgot about him. Great call. They will put their best 5 out there. I believe they think Corcoran, Benhart, Jurgens, and Piper are the best 4. Now you have to figure out if Banks, Nourilli, or Hixson are next best.
Probably not in 2021, but before long I expect Prochaska and Lutovsky to be in that coversation.

Some OL questions I have are (1) what are the chances that Matt Farniok comes back for one more season? And (2) does the transfer we got from Iowa last year figure to be a contender for playing time?

Ezra Miller was out of football for awhile, tough to get back into it. I think you have a better chance of seeing the other guys listed than him.

I don't know where Anderson could have played on special teams. Too light to do FG stuff or punt shield, and we aren't having an OL run down on coverage.
Then again, Anderson covering kickoffs couldn't have been much worse than the guys we had out there trying to do it! Kickoff coverage was a really bad unit.

Totally agree, but want to add..... When we had teams, that were ahead by 24-30 points in the 3rd qtr, we were more freely playing guys who were 3rd and 4th string. This accomplished multiple things: it kept them motivated for training and practice. It also allowed our coaching staff to evaluate them under game situations, which is different than practice. Getting 15 snaps in a game situation, is way more helpful to a developing player, than 15 snaps of practice. It also rested our starters, and kept them fresher also. It was a win-- win-- win -- win situation for our team. I hope we can return to that.

Yep, often KIDS dont allow themself enough time, and off to the portal.
It is possible Matthew would never have gotten there, our Drs cn be wrong, as they are evalled by them, bone mass,height,muscle mass and type etc.

Cant always just push the :blame the coach button

Totally agree, but want to add..... When we had teams, that were ahead by 24-30 points in the 3rd qtr, we were more freely playing guys who were 3rd and 4th string. This accomplished multiple things: it kept them motivated for training and practice. It also allowed our coaching staff to evaluate them under game situations, which is different than practice. Getting 15 snaps in a game situation, is way more helpful to a developing player, than 15 snaps of practice. It also rested our starters, and kept them fresher also. It was a win-- win-- win -- win situation for our team. I hope we can return to that.
In Frost's three years, I can only remember two games where we had a big enough lead to empty the bench in the second half... Bethune Cookman in 2018 and Maryland in 2019.

In Frost's three years, I can only remember two games where we had a big enough lead to empty the bench in the second half... Bethune Cookman in 2018 and Maryland in 2019.
Now, go back and check out our previous years under previous staffs.
Football is much more competitive today than even back then, so, not a reliable scenario at this point in time

In this case, if he can't put on good weight, he risks repeating the John Raridon experience. It's probably best for both parties for him to move on at this point. I hope he finds a place he can get on the field and be successful. I hope we use the roster spot wisely.
In fairness, he could simply see the water around him rising, and it gets to a point that it’s not just your classmates that passing you, but younger guys as well. He could be a solid player in a year or two, but we might have the spots filled with 2 or 3 year starters, and stud second teamers behind them. The young man might be feeling his football career is likely going to be at the next level down. Nothing wrong with that, it could just be a numbers thing.
Yep. I get that. But we used to see some of these guys stick it out and become starters as juniors or seniors. To be clear, I’m not attacking the kid at all. I get it. I just wish we had more of that old attitude.

Yep. I get that. But we used to see some of these guys stick it out and become starters as juniors or seniors. To be clear, I’m not attacking the kid at all. I get it. I just wish we had more of that old attitude.
We used to see all of our guys stick it out, because we didn’t see 300 lb guys coming out of high school. For better or worse, it’s a different time and place.

We used to see all of our guys stick it out, because we didn’t see 300 lb guys coming out of high school. For better or worse, it’s a different time and place.
There are a lot more kids entering college football nearly fully physically developed. But while some kids reach 6’6” 300lbs at age 16, there are still those who won’t hit that developmental spike until they are 20 or 21 years old. Patience could pay off for those kids.

Again, I’m not at all upset with this kid. We won’t necessarily miss him. I hope he finds what he’s looking for and doesn’t regret it later in his life.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back