• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Matt Ruhle Introductory Press Conference Thread (Monday 28 November 1:30 PM CST)

OK, I just listened to Coach Rhule's introduction speech. I am cautiously excited, but I was also excited after Frost's first speech. Some of the points I gleaned from HCMR are these:
  • He is the son of a Minister
  • Good relationship with his wife
  • Leadership is a way of life
  • He wants to build a team that's tuff & hard working
  • Not going to be a spread team but old school team-and a physical team
  • He believes you win games by winning the line of scrimmage
  • He will recruit men that want to be at NU to get an education and play great football
  • He will respect our tradition and honor
  • Getting us back will be difficult
One little nuance that I thought I heard was that he was willing to go to more of a spread offense at Baylor because that was the strength of the players he inherited. In other words, adapting to what you have as opposed to trying to stick a round peg in a square hole. Agree with everything else in your post. And yes, continued emphasis on the importance of the lines, both O&D. Everything flows from great line play,

I may have to go back and check, but that may be the same suit he wore to the Panther press conference, save the red tie of course.

That’s what’s great about men’s fashion. The ability to wear the outfit more than once.

I bet PJ doesn’t do repeats.

To add some context to this....I think Coach Vint is a HS coach in Texas. As we have heard, Rhule is highly respected in Texas high school coaching circles so this bodes well for recruiting there.
Nice to hear, but divisions are going away...

Respecting the current players and wanting their input is big. The last coach pretty much came in and claimed the cupboard was bare. I think being honest and interested in what the current players see and feel is pretty damned important. There are many guys on the current roster that can develop and become damn good football players. He needs to get those guys to stay and completely buy in.
Frost definitely came in with the attitude you’re lucky to have me. He talked at length about how poorly prepared the Huskers were and how much he’d need to do to bring the program back. He should have had confidence ,he did an outstanding job at UCF and earned the Coach of the Year Award. He beat Auburn in a bowl game and recruited well in a short period of time his first year here.
Not sure how much he understood about the Big Ten and his comments he’s hoping the Big Ten would adjust to him I am sure made him a marked man. Success sometimes can spoil you and his success didn’t help him.
Rhule got a wake up call in the NFL and possibly his failure there made him a better coach. He sounded humble to me today and I believe he understands there a ton of work to be done in his new job.

I didn’t get to see or hear any of the presser, but my phone has been blowing up with positive texts about all of it.

I don’t remember this much of a reaction, good or bad, for any hiring since I’ve been alive.

He said all the right things. Even if it’s just him being slick it’s at least a sign he’s smart enough to figure out what to say to us.

Wow just wow. I was a little emotional during this press conference. I can’t tell u how many nights I have dreamed of saying tough and it’s all about the line of scrimmage. So refreshing not to hear 100 uhhs and umms during his speech. It’s going to be a peaceful offseason for me, we have our guy and I am grateful.
He sold me coming in with a plan and articulated that clearly and that he is ready to get out of the suit and get to work.

One little nuance that I thought I heard was that he was willing to go to more of a spread offense at Baylor because that was the strength of the players he inherited. In other words, adapting to what you have as opposed to trying to stick a round peg in a square hole. Agree with everything else in your post. And yes, continued emphasis on the importance of the lines, both O&D. Everything flows from great line play,
Also I caught that it is easy to get an initial contract in the NFL on athleticism alone he wants to develop players that get the second contract as well.

Frost definitely came in with the attitude you’re lucky to have me. He talked at length about how poorly prepared the Huskers were and how much he’d need to do to bring the program back. He should have had confidence ,he did an outstanding job at UCF and earned the Coach of the Year Award. He beat Auburn in a bowl game and recruited well in a short period of time his first year here.
Not sure how much he understood about the Big Ten and his comments he’s hoping the Big Ten would adjust to him I am sure made him a marked man. Success sometimes can spoil you and his success didn’t help him.
Rhule got a wake up call in the NFL and possibly his failure there made him a better coach. He sounded humble to me today and I believe he understands there a ton of work to be done in his new job.
He had it ought with the Panthers alright. He had to deal with owner David Tepper.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back