• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Massive shakeup with Astros

Should be interesting to see spring training here in West Palm Beach. The Astros and Nationals share a spring training home here.

Let's get serious here... there was no throwing of baseball games, there was no betting on baseball games and there were no performance enhancing drug taken...

This is really a pretty quaint scandal... it really shouldn't even be a scandal... It is best for baseball to just mete out a few short term suspensions (which is what is happening) and then tell everyone to forget about it...

If sign stealing is such a bad thing, then they should provide secure electronic devices to teams to signal players. If manual signs are part of the game, so is stealing those signs. If electronic devices make it easier to figure them out (stealing something exposed in public?) and to communicate them. then adopt electronic devices to do secure communication.

What the heck does baseball think it is? Golf?
I like this take a lot and can’t say I disagree. If I’m a pitcher in the MLB though and they’ve already shrunk the strike zone to postage stamp size for everyone not named Verlander, Cole and a few others, I am concerned that the off-speed dimension can be gamed away too. But, yeah, figure out a way to communicate securely then.

The issue with the Astros was that, I believe, they were specifically warned against what they went ahead with. Could have misheard that, but I thought a communique was issued from the Commish’s office.

The Nationals went to pretty elaborte means to protect their signs. Maybe they should do like the NFL and use wireless headsets, between pitcher, catcher, middle infielder, center fielder and manager/pitching coach.

Exactly. The Nats spent a lot of time switching everything up. Game 5 it was definitely a tell, the Astros teed off in Stras the first inning despite him hitting locations. They figured it out that fast. Nats switched up signs and threw them off every inning after that and they couldn’t do crap.

What the Astros did was reprehensible. I knew in 2017 that something was up. Sitting on elite pitchers and consistently barreling up nasty sliders at home. Yet on the road, look at their stats. Look at their postseason road stats.

Astros didn’t get punished enough in my opinion. Those players should face harsh punishments as well.

I don't see it happening but the LA City Council has passed a resolution calling on MLB to strip Houston and Boston of their titles and give them to LA.

I don't see it happening but the LA City Council has passed a resolution calling on MLB to strip Houston and Boston of their titles and give them to LA.

Yeah, that’s not happening. It’s foolish to even do that in my opinion.

They can't take my world series hat. I heard the Dodgers fan group are going to the Astros- angels series in April , to boo and harass the stros. I hope the Astros wear black . Should be an interesting season.

Only in baseball can you have legal cheating and illegal cheating.

I do believe the this will taint the Astro's titles and follow some players around for a while such as Altuve. May almost force me to cheer for the Yankees over the 'Stros!

Only in baseball can you have legal cheating and illegal cheating.

I do believe the this will taint the Astro's titles and follow some players around for a while such as Altuve. May almost force me to cheer for the Yankees over the 'Stros!

Oh...let’s not go too far now. Cheering for the Yankees is a sin!

Exactly. The Nats spent a lot of time switching everything up. Game 5 it was definitely a tell, the Astros teed off in Stras the first inning despite him hitting locations. They figured it out that fast. Nats switched up signs and threw them off every inning after that and they couldn’t do crap.

What the Astros did was reprehensible. I knew in 2017 that something was up. Sitting on elite pitchers and consistently barreling up nasty sliders at home. Yet on the road, look at their stats. Look at their postseason road stats.

Astros didn’t get punished enough in my opinion. Those players should face harsh punishments as well.

I would be interested in seeing the stats for the post season and also the regular season for the 2017 and 2018 Astros. Not that i think it wouldn't make a difference because obviously it would, anyone who has played baseball knows that. But exactly how much?? I saw some pitchers saying they didn't care, they felt if they hit their spots, they still got people out.

One point i've heard was how it "ended careers and put people out of the game". I just don't buy that argument. That would mean a pitcher would lose his job from a couple outings in Houston with maybe a 12 ERA? The only way that happens is if he has a 6 ERA everywhere else and that means he just isn't good enough. Sign stealing didn't end his career, he wasn't good enough to play at that level. NOBODY is cutting a guy with a 3 ERA everywhere else and a 12 ERA in Houston loose and ending his career. I've also yet to hear anyone come out and say "i'd still be in MLB if Houston hadn't stole my signs".

Just want to chime in and say, baseball was too soft on the Astros!!! I say, deprive them of the playoffs for 5 years! That will stop all this bs in the future! I hate the Dodgers, but they were screwed, along with the Yankees, over these last years. Astros are cheats, and they were not punished enough!!

weak punishment = no real deterrent from something similar continuing. Their blatant cheating deserved harsh penalty.

"THERE ARE RULES" -Walter Sobchak

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back