• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Partially true, however:

1. Cannot throw picks
2. Find the open receiver (don’t lock on)
3. Learn to avoid sacks by throwing the ball into the cheap seats.
4. Learn when to run with the ball because you have the ability.
Here is my thoughts. Way too often we seem to get focused on what AM does wrong without realizing what he is doing right and even more importantly really watch other QB's in college football with the same focus we do with AM. AM's pick yesterday was a tipped ball to a receiver he found wide open. I actually saw AM looking quite a bit for other receivers yesterday finding most of them being well covered. He didn't force passes into players in those situations and actually avoiding number 1 in your discussion.

As for avoiding sacks. He did that quite a few times both by running and throwing into the cheap seats. His ugliest one yesterday was easily avoidable if our offensive lineman hadn't abandoned his assigned guy to block and left AM hanging out.

As for number 4. Well one of our biggest 4th down misses was when AM pulled up to run to early and didn't make the 5 yards running we needed to keep a drive alive. Its not always easy to try and locate all these receivers we aren't wanting to lock into, have pocket presence to know when to scramble, have to avoid so many defenders in your backfield and the whole time trying to decide how much open field is available to run when people are still wanting you to find that open receiver.

Watching other college teams and focusing on their QB's I see the same mistakes. Last week I watched Burroughs over throw 2 TD passes in the same series and almost throw an interception into a crowded field. Yes they still won but his mistakes allowed Alabama to get back into a game that was well out of reach prior to the poor play. I'm just saying it happens to many QB's including the Hiesman favorite.

Honestly...these are incredibly minor issues within the overall needs of the team. I can think of at least 50 more important things that SF needs to get fixed than things AM needs to improve. Not exaggerating. AM is not the problem, a lot of what surrounds him is. But don't worry...SF will get it done, and sooner than you think. We are not that far off, but we need some sports psych help, in addition to better fundamentals, great recruiting, and continued S&C advances.
I basically agree. However, Martinez is who he is, one or two fantastic plays and then some really bone head plays to negate the good plays. There is consistency in that in every game.

As for number 4. Well one of our biggest 4th down misses was when AM pulled up to run to early and didn't make the 5 yards running we needed to keep a drive alive. Its not always easy to try and locate all these receivers we aren't wanting to lock into, have pocket presence to know when to scramble, have to avoid so many defenders in your backfield and the whole time trying to decide how much open field is available to run when people are still wanting you to find that open receiver.
im sure SF told AM to slide, don’t take chances that is fine.

I’m not asking him to be Aaron Rodgers but when he gets out of the pocket he can’t keep his eyes downfield. He has twitchy eyes - looking down, looking up, looking at defenders ...

Yes the sack was a mistake QB’s throughput college football today we’re making mistakes. He’s going to be fine.
What I am talking about is the fact that he is two years into this and continues to do the same stupid thing. He had plenty of time to get rid of the Ball. That 20 yard sack was ridiculous. A game changer, IMO.

I don’t think Martinez was the problem at all, there seems to be a reason that Frost doesn’t think he can keep going to the wheel house that got them to the opponents side of the field. Every time we got to the 30 he subbed Mills out. I do not get it.
it might be that he isn't very smart.

Last edited:

I'm sure that was his plan and had nothing to do with Mills being dinged up or needing a breather.
then maybe you do something OTHER that run....option w/ wyatt and a direct snap to wyatt. As far as i know he was under no contractual obligation to run those two plays at the time regardless of who was in the game. Simply put that was dreadful coaching/management/play calling...whatever you want to call it.

then maybe you do something OTHER that run....option w/ wyatt and a direct snap to wyatt. As far as i know he was under no contractual obligation to run those two plays at the time regardless of who was in the game. Simply put that was dreadful coaching/management/play calling...whatever you want to call it.

While I wasn't a fan of those particular calls, I find it interesting to question offensive play calling after yesterday.

While I wasn't a fan of those particular calls, I find it interesting to question offensive play calling after yesterday.
i dont know why you find it interesting. That was a critical do or die series and they put the game in Wyatt Mazour's hands. Game over. Additionally, they came up empty a bunch of times after driving....again. So yeah, they had 500 yards of offense and scored 21 points...everything gets a look.

The play-calling overall was pretty good yesterday. But it was also responsible for our drives stalling in the red zone in the second half. It was a little strange, we went from playing fast and snapping the ball with 20 seconds left on the play clock to using up almost the entire clock as AM stared at the sideline waiting for the play to come in. It was a little odd and it gave Wisconsin a chance to get their crap together when we had them on their heels.

And it also seemed that we subbed Mazour for Mills when we got in the red zone a couple of times. Mills played great the entire game, I would have loved to see him get a few more touches.

So my take is that our offensive playcalling and personnel decisions seemed really good yesterday except for when we were in the red zone.

As for AM, I agreed he played way better than he did against Purdue. But he still needs to get rid of the ball and not take sacks (especially twenty yard ones), he needs to be more decisive in tucking the ball and running sometimes, and he's still not seeing some wide open receivers. He had Speilman wide open on one of those fourth down plays.

i dont know why you find it interesting. That was a critical do or die series and they put the game in Wyatt Mazour's hands. Game over. Additionally, they came up empty a bunch of times after driving....again. So yeah, they had 500 yards of offense and scored 21 points...everything gets a look.

Ok

I don’t think Martinez was the problem at all, there seems to be a reason that Frost doesn’t think he can keep going to the wheel house that got them to the opponents side of the field. Every time we got to the 30 he subbed Mills out. I do not get it.
I noticed that too and cringed every time Mills was subbed. It happened in the first half. I don’t get it, I didn’t notice Mills tapping his helmet or signaling for a sub

Is it Held, Walters, or Frost that decided Mills needs to come out? These are the same people that couldn't see Ozigbo's talent for half a season last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back