• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Martinez injuries

When we were on the goal line wouldn’t have made sense to use a backup. They could have pushed forwards.

My problem is when AM is limited in running it affects his passing. Bye that I mean when the other teams realize he really can't run much their defense is adjusted especially with good DC's. How would anyone truly know Smothers is so weak he can't get it done unless he gets the opportunity? This coaching staff seems to have problems picking the most talented players in more then a few cases. I would simply point to what Riley did pulling Rattler and putting in a true freshman! No way they beat the Whorns had Rattler stayed in the game. Even the BEST players can have an off day and it's compounded when playing injured.

There's a difference playing "hurt" versus injured imo. We don't know how badly AM's ankle was but he sure didn't run much even when the opportunity presented itself. AM was MINUS 17 yds running which says he really couldn't move around anything like normal. How much did that change our offense? Don't know but I feel it was significant especially with the type o-line protection he gets.

How would we know he was injured much in the MSU game? I assume he's checked out medically and got a clean bill. Having a shot in the jaw may or may not affect his play but when he can't run much we saw what happens. Bottom line everything about our situation is lousy at the moment with only 3 wins and only 1 against P5 opponents. There's very little to have much faith in and the chances of making a bowl are slim and none. I'll continue to root for my Huskers but something really needs to change.
Speaking of Rattler… assuming he enters the transfer portal is there any value to the idea that Nebraska should go after him? I think it would a long shot that we would (or that Rattler would be interested) , just had me thinking g … hmmm?

Speaking of Rattler… assuming he enters the transfer portal is there any value to the idea that Nebraska should go after him? I think it would a long shot that we would (or that Rattler would be interested) , just had me thinking g … hmmm?
Well Rattler is great at creating turnovers so we would be used to that.......

If an injured Martinez is your best option and playing him won't permanently hurt him you play him.

If he's not that effective and you haven't recruited or prepared an alternative that just is what it is. All these things show up in the win loss record and eventually all coaches are judged on that.

Well Rattler is great at creating turnovers so we would be used to that.......
Rattler last season passing had 28TD's with 7INT's with over 3000 yds. Ya think we could live with those stats? He wasn't having a great 2021 before he got benched but had 10 TD's with 5 INT's. If we wanted a true passing QB he would certainly fill the bill imo. He's not a great runner but did have 6 rushing TD's last season. I still believe he's probably a better proven QB than anyone we have right now.

Reading this comparisons to past NU QB's (Crouch, Berringer) who were playing injured ...

How many were not only playing hurt, but also playing as bad as they had all season (as Martinez was)?

Also, those offenses under Osborne and Solich relied much more on the running backs for production with limited passing. In our offense today, the quarterback is a much greater percentage of the production. If we're playing an injured QB who isn't producing, who else is going to produce?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back