• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Martinez injuries

Brook Berringer played with a collapsed lung in 1994
Eric Crouch played the nearly the entire 2000 season with a torn labrum.
The difference between those teams and this year’s team is those teams were winning. If this year’s team had a winning record then nobody would care about AM playing injured or hurt last week.
Berringer played with a partially collapsed lung in the WY game but our coaching staff didn't know it!! They found out AFTER the game when he was in the hospital. When he played the next week against OK State this happened...
Halftime X-rays showed Berringer’s lung was again leaking, and he was not allowed to return. Enter sophomore walk-on Matt Turman, who led the Huskers to three more scoring drives and a 32-3 win as the Husker Blackshirts took control of the game and shut down the Cowboys.

Whatever AM's injury was the staff knew about it and played him anyway. Obviously that injury greatly limited his running ability. Guess they believed he was better injured then Smothers was healthy. How'd that work out? I'm against playing kids that are injured where the injury is going greatly reduce their effectiveness. There are some injuries where it's deemed SAFE for the player to play but that doesn't mean they will be able to perform well with it. Also found this nugget this morning....

2 - Huskers have had a history with QBs playing injured in big games

After seeing quarterback Adrian Martinez play through a bad ankle vs. Minnesota this past week, it reminded me of how many different times NU has been plagued by playing injured quarterbacks since 2010. Here's the list:

2010 Big 12 title game - Taylor Martinez: The redshirt freshman Martinez played with a foot injury that took away the best thing he did - run. The Huskers blew a 17-0 lead to the Sooners.

2016 at Iowa - Tommy Armstrong: In the last game he started as a Husker, Armstrong played on a torn hamstring and had one of the worst outings of his career, spoiling a chance to finish 10-2.

2019 at Purdue - Adrian Martinez: After missing the Indiana game the week before, Nebraska brought Adrian Martinez back at Purdue. It was one of the lower points of his career, as he missed several open throws downfield. The loss ultimately cost NU the chance to go to a bowl game.

Last edited:

You have me confused with someone. I’m not trying to convince you, I’m telling you you’re wrong if you think some of our most respected coaches didn’t put players on the field that were as bad if not worse than what AM was dealing with.
Brook Berringer

My guess is that the one thing we can agree on is that we all knew AM would get injured sometime this season. He always does, in great part because he is not a natural running back and doesn't know how to protect himself (say nothing about protecting the ball) when he is hit. He's fast and that is good, but he often gets hit hard.

Therefore he gets injured. Q.E.D.

And that's when we bring in that well trained and ready for action 2d string QB from our deep QB room. Oooops. Maybe not.

Berringer played with a partially collapsed lung in the WY game but our coaching staff didn't know it!! They found out AFTER the game when he was in the hospital. When he played the next week against OK State this happened...

Whatever AM's injury was the staff knew about it and played him anyway. Obviously that injury greatly limited his running ability. Guess they believed he was better injured then Smothers was healthy. How'd that work out? I'm against playing kids that are injured where the injury is going greatly reduce their effectiveness. There are some injuries where it's deemed SAFE for the player to play but that doesn't mean they will be able to perform well with it. Also found this nugget this morning....
that staff in’94 knew that Brook had a collapsed lung the previous week and still started him in the OSU game even though it wasn’t advisable. He took hard enough hits in that game that it knocked him out for the next game and a half. He should not have been on the field that day BUT because they won everyone was ok with it

Don't know. Might be just me, but if you have an injured player, don't you play the next guy in his position that is healthy?

What does that do to the psyche of the next guy in line and also the unity factor of the entire team when they see a hobbled player still starting? Seems that could/would (?) be seen as an indictment and obvious distrust of all players not named Martinez?

Not a good receipe for team cohesiveness imo.

that staff in’94 knew that Brook had a collapsed lung the previous week and still started him in the OSU game even though it wasn’t advisable. He took hard enough hits in that game that it knocked him out for the next game and a half. He should not have been on the field that day BUT because they won everyone was ok with it
First off it was a PARTIALLY collapsed lung... there is substantial difference. I know first hand because I've had the same condition happen to me. I'd like to see the link where the staff was told by medical it wasn't advisable. I follow Husker pretty close and never read what you claim? With a lot more concern with players health today I'm pretty sure it would not be allowed.

Second AM COULD HARDLY run which was reason enough not to keep him in that game. AM had MINUS 17 yds rushing tells the story how little he could move around. I'm always against playing any player that's might effect his health and prevent him from playing well. AM injury was enough to negate probably his BEST skill set which is his running ability.

The end result was we did lose the game and AM certainly wasn't even close to his best. If our QB situation is so bad that our backup QB's are less effective then a starter who can't run we have bigger problems.

Last edited:
Keep seeing Brook used as an example of playing hurt. He did but the difference between him and AM is that he was the backup and we needed to go to the third QB if he wasn’t able to go. Just wish we had a Brook standing on the sideline waiting to take over for AM.

First off it was a PARTIALLY collapsed lung... there is substantial difference. I know first hand because I've had the same condition happen to me. I'd like to see the link where the staff was told by medical it wasn't advisable. I follow Husker pretty close and never read what you claim? With a lot more concern with players health today I'm pretty sure it would not be allowed.

Second AM COULD HARDLY run which was reason enough not to keep him in that game. AM had MINUS 17 yds rushing tells the story how little he could move around. I'm always against playing any player that's might effect his health and prevent him from playing well. AM injury was enough to negate probably his BEST skill set which is his running ability.

The end result was we did lose the game and AM certainly wasn't even close to his best. If our QB situation is so bad that our backup QB's are less effective then a starter who can't run we have bigger problems.
Do you really think you were going to read anything published in ‘94 that said it wasn’t advisable to play Brook after the week after Wyoming game? It’s common sense that he shouldn’t have played. Any Dr would tell you absorbing repeated hits a week after a partially collapsed lung is not advisable. They put him in basically a flak jacket to help absorb the hits and it still wasn’t enough. I was at that game and they didn’t need him to win but played him anyway.

Keep seeing Brook used as an example of playing hurt. He did but the difference between him and AM is that he was the backup and we needed to go to the third QB if he wasn’t able to go. Just wish we had a Brook standing on the sideline waiting to take over for AM.
Yep Brook is a bad example! It was him or the water boy from Wahoo! I did get to attend that game at K-state with my dad. Brook is by far my favorite player ever!!! :Cheers:

How about we consider a few more examples? Turner Gill had nerve damage that caused him to have drop foot. It took time to recover, and the reality was he wasn’t 100% the season when he did come back, and he was running the option regularly. How about Tommie and blood clouts? That’s a condition that can actually be fatal in rare instances. And please, let’s not forget Crouch who was so battered he couldn’t get things off the shelves in his kitchen, much less be able to throw a football with any comfort.

No, Scott is the first coach to push a guy to play injured. How unthinkable.

How about we consider a few more examples? Turner Gill had nerve damage that caused him to have drop foot. It took time to recover, and the reality was he wasn’t 100% the season when he did come back, and he was running the option regularly. How about Tommie and blood clouts? That’s a condition that can actually be fatal in rare instances. And please, let’s not forget Crouch who was so battered he couldn’t get things off the shelves in his kitchen, much less be able to throw a football with any comfort.

Exactly, in 2000 Crouch could hardly throw the ball. Frank had Lord and Newcombe on the roster yet he still went with Crouch.

I agree that Scott’s not the first guy. My whole point has been why don’t we have a backup ready or getting any snaps. You have to be prepared for a serious injury. That part is squarely on Verduzco in my opinion. I also hate how certain posters say Smothers would be worse. Some of them have been pretty mean in their criticism of a kid we’ve really never seen play. Yet they tell others that they shouldn’t be critical of Martinez. Kind of hypocritical. I know you haven’t said anything negative about Smothers but others have many times.

Did you ever think that a.m.’s injuries and HCSF losing games they should’ve won Could result in both of them getting a pass for the whole year in order that they can come back next year

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back