• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Marlin Briscoe

KSBV

Recruit
2 Year Member
Sorry to read that Marlin Briscoe had passed away. I attended Omaha South High School with him. He was probably the best high school athlete I ever saw. Not only was he All-State in Football and a star in the annual Shrine game at Memorial Stadium in 1963, but in an Omaha All-Star High School basketball game played at Westside High School late in the summer, he was the game MVP over a stellar field of players that included Tech High School's All-American Fred Hare. I always found it interesting that the Huskers never recruited him (probably because he was only 5'-10"); instead, going after Frank Patrick, an all-star QB from PA, who really never lived up to expectations (I always thought Briscoe would have been the Huskers' starter in '67 if he was at NU). Instead he went to Omaha U., starting as a DB as a freshman (he couldn't beat out senior QB starter Carl Myers), but later became the starting QB and ultimately a Little All-American. He did get drafted as a DB by the Broncos, but held out for a chance to try out for QB. He did make the team as a back-up QB, and ultimately became the starter (first African-American starter in the NFL) when Steve Tensi went down with a season-ending injury. He started 7 games and threw for 1,600 yds and 14 TDs, while rushing for 300 yds and three TDs; yet, he was released at the end of the season. So, he decided to become a WR and went to Buffalo where he starred and then on to Miami where he backed up Paul Warfield and won a Super Bowl ring in 1972. RIP my old friend.

Sorry to read that Marlin Briscoe had passed away. I attended Omaha South High School with him. He was probably the best high school athlete I ever saw. Not only was he All-State in Football and a star in the annual Shrine game at Memorial Stadium in 1963, but in an Omaha All-Star High School basketball game played at Westside High School late in the summer, he was the game MVP over a stellar field of players that included Tech High School's All-American Fred Hare. I always found it interesting that the Huskers never recruited him (probably because he was only 5'-10"); instead, going after Frank Patrick, an all-star QB from PA, who really never lived up to expectations (I always thought Briscoe would have been the Huskers' starter in '67 if he was at NU). Instead he went to Omaha U., starting as a DB as a freshman (he couldn't beat out senior QB starter Carl Myers), but later became the starting QB and ultimately a Little All-American. He did get drafted as a DB by the Broncos, but held out for a chance to try out for QB. He did make the team as a back-up QB, and ultimately became the starter (first African-American starter in the NFL) when Steve Tensi went down with a season-ending injury. He started 7 games and threw for 1,600 yds and 14 TDs, while rushing for 300 yds and three TDs; yet, he was released at the end of the season. So, he decided to become a WR and went to Buffalo where he starred and then on to Miami where he backed up Paul Warfield and won a Super Bowl ring in 1972. RIP my old friend.
I've met him several times as I had a teacher who was good friends with him and was a special guest for the class.
Great guy, great talent, ahead of his time.

Thanks for sharing your memories of Marlin. Great read.

Marlin Briscoe and Paul Warfield both played in the Nebraska Classic golf tournament in Palm Springs. Marlin gave a great speech at one of the dinners. Great personality. He will be missed. RIP Marlin.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back