• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Markese Stepp to Huskers from USC

I also have doubts about the listed 4.42 speed. I suspect it is more in the 4.6-4.7 range. Still acceptable for a big back like him.
Yep because your eyes are much better than the actual stop watches on the electronic timing devices he was timed on. :Rolleyes: He was electronically timed at 4.49. That is the same process the NFL uses in the combine.

I posted this in the portal thread but i'll post it here. Texted my friend that works at USC about this kid and what his thoughts were. Long story short he's really frustrated they don't run enough to keep him there. "Really big dude that's tough to bring down, good not great speed and good not great feet. Sucks to see him go."

Sounds like a great replacement for Mills. A bruiser that won't be able to catch as well as Dedrick and probably not any faster, but can fit the goalline back mode. Only question will be how quick he can pick up the offense and if he can stay healthy.
Naw Frost likes his goal line backs to be about 5'-9", 185lbs... :Lol:

Stepp was also wasted in the Air Raid offense they've been running at USC. He'd have better numbers if they actually ran the ball. It makes sense he wanted a change.

Stepp was also wasted in the Air Raid offense they've been running at USC. He'd have better numbers if they actually ran the ball. It makes sense he wanted a change.

Although if this past season is a reference, Nebraska running backs carried the ball fewer times per game than USC running backs.

USC had 26.7 rushes by RBs per game in 2020.
Nebraska had 21.0 rushes by RBs per game in 2020 -- if you count Wan'Dale as a RB. If not, 15.3 per game. Either way, significantly fewer than USC.

Maybe the Nebraska staff convinced him things would change in that regard in 2021.

He should be a good fit talent wise and fit wise... hopefully he fits culture wise.... this really seems to be our current issue.... with that said really glad several seniors are coming back.... maybe the culture is headed the correct direction

Yep because your eyes are much better than the actual stop watches on the electronic timing devices he was timed on. :Rolleyes: He was electronically timed at 4.49. That is the same process the NFL uses in the combine.

His own coaches said he had "good, but not great, speed and quickness." That doesn't jive with a listed 40 time of 4.42, which is faster than most NFL running backs.

It would help me a lot if we could just keep the same names on the jerseys next fall and change out the players. Is that possible? Stepp would be Mills, etc. And certainly anyone playing QB needs to have Martinez on the jersey - we've had one for like 7 out of the last 10 seasons.

I'm getting older...
I don't think there are any Martinez QB on portal, looks like the jersey name switch is the plan.

Although if this past season is a reference, Nebraska running backs carried the ball fewer times per game than USC running backs.

USC had 26.7 rushes by RBs per game in 2020.
Nebraska had 21.0 rushes by RBs per game in 2020 -- if you count Wan'Dale as a RB. If not, 15.3 per game. Either way, significantly fewer than USC.

Maybe the Nebraska staff convinced him things would change in that regard in 2021.
Thats the point in getting him. When the run game works, you run your rb more.
Mills had 25 carries against Rutgers, AM 23, about a third of which were designed runs.
We have two backs, a less aggressive defense, AM carries go down to 15 or less

His own coaches said he had "good, but not great, speed and quickness." That doesn't jive with a listed 40 time of 4.42, which is faster than most NFL running backs.
I said official time at a camp was 4.49 you auto corrected to 4.42 to try and make your eye argument more sound...interesting.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back