• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mark Whipple Rushing Stats

HuskerWeatherman

Feral Cat
20 Year Member
“During his three seasons at Pitt, Mark Whipple was a great asset for our entire football program. He did a tremendous job transitioning us from a heavy run attack to one of the best passing games in the entire country,” Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi said in a statement.

I churned out some numbers to see how effective Pitt is at running (with a comparison to Nebraska). Whipple has been Pitt's OC since 2019.

Included are the national ranks.

pitt.jpg

It's very clear, Whipple loves to pass, and the run game is secondary. Given we already have Mickey Joseph, an accomplished WR coach (and passing game coordinator) seems clear the plan is to create an offense that relies on the passing game to be effective.

Remember, our offensive line grades were among the worst in the nation in pass blocking (better at run blocking).

Sounds like a potential significant overhaul of the offense. And we need a quality QB for it to have a chance.

Again, this is assuming all of the smoke from today leads to Whipple being hired as OC.

We weren’t particularly great at run blocking either.

I don’t care how they move the ball, just that they do so. If the plan is to sling it around, better have a plan for who the trigger man is going to be.
Disagree, they just never did it enough to ever fully commit to it. When they went run, they usually moved the chains, then they’d just stop, never getting completely into the flow of it.

Disagree, they just never did it enough to ever fully commit to it. When they went run, they usually moved the chains, then they’d just stop, never getting completely into the flow of it.
Uh, yeah. Okay. Must have walked away from the set while that was going on.

You know, there is a difference between saying we got away from the run too much and the statement that we had a powerful rushing attack due to our great run blocking but just refused to take advantage of it. :rolleyes:

You know, there is a difference between saying we got away from the run too much and the statement that we had a powerful rushing attack due to our great run blocking but just refused to take advantage of it. :rolleyes:

I think the reality is somewhere in the middle.

They could run the ball when they actually tried and didn't create a bad down and distance situation.

HIO is right to an extent. They wouldn't stay with it, even if it worked. Seemed to bail on it the first time they didn't get the result they wanted.

First drive after half against Ohio State. All runs from NU 25. All the way to the OSU 21, 1st and 10, pass, run for a loss, pass, missed FG. This is just one example. Ran against Michigan and OU when they tried to, then, inexplicably, it’s gone. All too common.

Seems like a middling hire. I think he is better than Graham Harrrell but do not think we are going to get the downhill rushing attack we were hoping for.

I just want to win. It really is all I care about and don’t care what scheme we use to do it. Just win.

But, I don’t believe a pass first attack will ever achieve that for Nebraska. It may get us back to respectability, but a it won’t ever get us back to a perennial national power level.

It'd be one thing if Frost had a few years. But he doesn't. He's not guaranteed past midseason. So I'm a bit surprised he'd want to take this risk and move toward more of a passing offense. Especially with an offensive line that was literally the worst in the nation in pass blocking. And minus (at least currently) an experienced QB that can make it work. Huge gamble.

Last edited:
It'd be one thing if Frost had a few years. But he doesn't. He's not guaranteed past midseason. So I'm a bit surprised he'd want to take this risk and move toward more of a passing offense. Especially with an offensive line that was literally the worst in the nation in pass blocking. And minus (at least currently) an experienced QB that can make it work. Huge gamble.
He may just want to have Whipples passing concepts blend with what Scott likes to do in the option game.

I watched Pitt this year... went to the Tech game here where they scored 40+ in the first half... They moved the ball at will... Was fun to watch.

BUT... pretty hard to find a Kenny Pickett...

“During his three seasons at Pitt, Mark Whipple was a great asset for our entire football program. He did a tremendous job transitioning us from a heavy run attack to one of the best passing games in the entire country,” Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi said in a statement.

I churned out some numbers to see how effective Pitt is at running (with a comparison to Nebraska). Whipple has been Pitt's OC since 2019.

Included are the national ranks.

View attachment 74140

It's very clear, Whipple loves to pass, and the run game is secondary. Given we already have Mickey Joseph, an accomplished WR coach (and passing game coordinator) seems clear the plan is to create an offense that relies on the passing game to be effective.

Remember, our offensive line grades were among the worst in the nation in pass blocking (better at run blocking).

Sounds like a potential significant overhaul of the offense. And we need a quality QB for it to have a chance.

Again, this is assuming all of the smoke from today leads to Whipple being hired as OC.
what can you tell us about pitts passing and overall offense in years where they don't have an NFL draft pick behind center? I'm guessing it craters....

ill just tell ya. this year pittsburgh with pickett at the helm won the ACC with the #5 best scoring offense in the country. bravo!! last year (2020) with an less experienced QB they ranked 78. in 2019 they were 106. here are whips led offenses scoring rank going back to his days as HC at mass.

Whipple lead offense scoring rank:
2021 pitt - #5
2020 pitt - #78
2019 pitt - #106

2018 UM - #41
2017 UM - #48
2016 UM - #108
2015 UM - #104
2014 UM - #70

He may just want to have Whipples passing concepts blend with what Scott likes to do in the option game.

I watched Pitt this year... went to the Tech game here where they scored 40+ in the first half... They moved the ball at will... Was fun to watch.

see post #12 for how his offenses have fared without seasoned NFL QB prospect

Last edited:

Yep.

I'm not saying it can't work in Lincoln. But this is the sort of thing Frost should have done a year or more ago.

It ultimately is going to come down to the quarterback and development of our line. If either one is a struggle, it's going to be a harsh 2022.

There may be discussion elsewhere, but I saw the Akron QB is visiting this weekend. I doubt he's Kenny PIckett, but I'm curious.

Yep.

I'm not saying it can't work in Lincoln. But this is the sort of thing Frost should have done a year or more ago.

It ultimately is going to come down to the quarterback and development of our line. If either one is a struggle, it's going to be a harsh 2022.

There may be discussion elsewhere, but I saw the Akron QB is visiting this weekend. I doubt he's Kenny PIckett, but I'm curious.
That kids little bro is committed to GaTech.... But I will say the Tech program is a bigger disaster than we are right now... hard to fathom.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back