• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mark Whipple for OC?

Some Pitt commentators on Youtube are saying that Whipple wasn't going to get a new contract (it expires at the end of this season) because he abandoned the run game. Honestly, seemed more like sour grapes to me. But interesting that this take is out there.

Pitt is third in the country in scoring offense. I seems really unlikely that he'd be released for not running it enough given how successful their offense has been.

Well that should work in our favor given the number of players enter the portal from our program.
Who? Which of our guys is really a huge issue for us? Adrian? I don’t think so. Payne? Not a starter. Scott or Morrison? 3rd, 4th or 5th string guys? Who is it you see as a large loss to the portal? Who is irreplaceable?

If it's Whipple . . . not gonna be very excited about that if it means cranking up the passing game and giving the run game short shrift in usage and improvement. I'd just have to hope it works out and turns into enough wins for a bowl game.

They did seem to score, which was precisely NU's problem. But not thinking passing more is the answer. One thing's for sure--we don't have a QB on the roster who can run that kind of offense with any confidence. Haarberg's the closest thing. So we'd be hitting the portal for at least a couple dudes for a starter.

He might be able to sell his work with Kenny Pickett and this year's Pitt offense to get a pretty good transfer portal QB.
That’s really all we can worry about as this is a one year plan. If he can pick up a 2023 and a 2024 commit in the next 6 months, then we are in good shape.

Of course you want a coordinator who recruits well. The most important position is obviously QB, his position. If he can lure a top flight QB, its easier to recruit to WR, RB and OL.

I think you worry about the offense and winning games next year and let the rest take care of itself in 2023 and beyond if they can make progress. Unlikely he’s a long-hauler anyway, and If Mickey is the long term plan, here’s his mentorship for a couple years and we hire somebody else more dynamic in the living room and on the road more. None of that happens without wins next year.

We have a really good 1-2 punch with a Heisman finalist at QB and two top draft picks at WR under Mickey tearing it up on Sundays.

I do agree that this reduces the chances of Brown at RB coach for the recruiting reason, but also because of ST’s. But, again, think of this as one year to get it stripped down, tuned up and launched…it needs to move quickly and if Brown can instill toughness and purpose in one season, I’m all in. He recruits within his lane very well. Not a long term solution, but there is no “long term” today.

Raiola is an interesting move. I probably would have gone old school at OL and younger at OC, but I understand. Fairly unknown quantity there in both coaching and recruiting, no?

I’m RTDB guy. I hate PPO’s and pro styles and air raids. I’m fine with an 80/20 run/pass ratio.

But…

Next year I just want to see the offense score more and not turn the ball over. I want to see OL move the LOS on 3rd and 1 and not get beat in 2 secs in pass pro on 3rd and 8 while getting a holding call and false starting on 1st and 10.

Next, like everyone else…I’d like to see punt teams that cover and dont shank. Id like to see kickers that make FG’s in the clutch and an occasional return and flip in field position in the kick game.

I dont really care how we get there as long as we get there. Recruiting the portal for 2022 is far more important than high school kids i. 2023 or 2024.

I hope this all works out well. We need RB and STC, and I dont lnow how we are getting there If its Brumfield or Busch for ST’s.

I live in Pittsburgh, so I followed Pitt somewhat, mostly because my brother-in-law played there and is a fan. If you’re asking how Pitt racked up yards on offense this year, I attribute it to Kenny Picket’s talent and some strong receivers. I’m sure OC Whipple had a lot to do with Kenny’s development. Here’s a little video highlighting Pickett’s skills and a reason for why he’s in the Heisman running. Maybe any QB could do this, but I found it pretty impressive.

I live in Pittsburgh, so I followed Pitt somewhat, mostly because my brother-in-law played there and is a fan. If you’re asking how Pitt racked up yards on offense this year, I attribute it to Kenny Picket’s talent and some strong receivers. I’m sure OC Whipple had a lot to do with Kenny’s development. Here’s a little video highlighting Pickett’s skills and a reason for why he’s in the Heisman running. Maybe any QB could do this, but I found it pretty impressive.

Kid is very accurate.

Pitt is third in the country in scoring offense. I seems really unlikely that he'd be released for not running it enough given how successful their offense has been.
If you believe what they said on Big Red Wrapup tonight, he resigned earlier today, and Frost interviewed him at his home in Arizona.

They had seven blowout wins that naturally evened out the pass/run ratio. Trust me, his offense is not balanced and when push comes to shove, he defaults to the air game. Ive watched it over two stints at UMASS and a few games this year watching Pitt.
How does anyone know that frost or the existing offense won’t have an influence in what the guy does in Lincoln? Some are assuming Nebraska is going to a total passing offense now, which is never going to happen.

Never said they live under a rock. Who said that? Just telling you what my observations are having lived within spitting distance of Amherst.
Not sure why I’m trying to explain this but, just because I wrote something doesn’t mean you wrote it first- I know you didn’t say they live under a rock, I said they didn’t. Big difference. The implication is that these guys know what they are doing. Don’t think too much into this.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back