• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Marcus Washington ex-Texas WR To OV To Nebraska

you can bet that casey thompson has already let the coaching staff know where his ex texan teammate would rank in regards to current husker recievers, if he thinks hes better than trey palmer, omar manning, alante.... then bring him in, if he thinks he would rank 5th among receivers, then he has communicated that also, to the coaches. I cant imagine our coaches would actively go after a player who would be ranked 5-6th among our existing recievers.
Why??

If he is better than half the WR room, he should be welcomed to the team. How else do you get better as a program?

Why??

If he is better than half the WR room, he should be welcomed to the team. How else do you get better as a program?

This is true. But when you have a fixed roster size, you also have to consider whether adding him comes at the cost of adding someone else to a position of greater need. WR wouldn't be my first choice of where to add, but then I'm an ignorant outsider.

This is true. But when you have a fixed roster size, you also have to consider whether adding him comes at the cost of adding someone else to a position of greater need. WR wouldn't be my first choice of where to add, but then I'm an ignorant outsider.

The only thing I can think of is they know there will be more attrition in that room.

The only thing I can think of is they know there will be more attrition in that room.
I would guess, let’s rephrase that, I hope the staff knows or has a good idea whether or not there will be more attrition. Like you I think there will be as well but I don’t know that we will should be hitting the transfer market for a number five or six guy in the receiver rotation. I don’t know that this is that guy but the example was that half the room would be still better than him. I believe there’s much bigger needs than receiver being offensive and defensive line, tight end , outside backer etc

I would guess, let’s rephrase that, I hope the staff knows or has a good idea whether or not there will be more attrition. Like you I think there will be as well but I don’t know that we will should be hitting the transfer market for a number five or six guy in the receiver rotation. I don’t know that this is that guy but the example was that half the room would be still better than him. I believe there’s much bigger needs than receiver being offensive and defensive line, tight end , outside backer etc
Even if i give you that those positions may need an upgrade. (and that is kind of a stretch with TE) Do you know that there are transfers who would be at least 2nd team willing to come to NU right now?

I say at least second team because a WR5 or WR6 is a 2nd team player in a 3-WR system. Now, that would mean there would have to be a TE better than Fidone (if Vokolek starts), a OLB better than Butler (if Tannor, Nelson and Mathis are the first 3), etc.

So, maybe there are bigger needs, but maybe nobody talented enough to make an impact is interested in coming to NU? If that is the case, NU should not fill the spot with a potential contributor at WR because, well, why was that again?

Maybe the number of needs is fixed?
Then you go next need if theres room.
The coaches determine their needs, if TE room is full, and second tier isnt a need,maybe WR is.
You dont wait around going first things first

Like I said above, its the coaches call. This doesnt stop top needs, like DL, but maybe OL coach thinks OL is fine, same for backer coach, plus you do have to run somewhat regularly and balance your roster for age to leave room for HS recruits etc.

Even if i give you that those positions may need an upgrade. (and that is kind of a stretch with TE) Do you know that there are transfers who would be at least 2nd team willing to come to NU right now?

I say at least second team because a WR5 or WR6 is a 2nd team player in a 3-WR system. Now, that would mean there would have to be a TE better than Fidone (if Vokolek starts), a OLB better than Butler (if Tannor, Nelson and Mathis are the first 3), etc.

So, maybe there are bigger needs, but maybe nobody talented enough to make an impact is interested in coming to NU? If that is the case, NU should not fill the spot with a potential contributor at WR because, well, why was that again?
I don’t necessarily disagree with anything you’re saying. It’s all hypotheticals anyway as we don’t know if this guy would be a fifth or sixth option on receiver, he may be better he may be worse. You’re also right that there may not be other prospects currently interested. I wouldn’t make a habit out of making a fifth or sixth receiver a portal go to as one I don’t think it helps team chemistry and two I don’t think you’re going to get much of a contribution.

I don’t necessarily disagree with anything you’re saying. It’s all hypotheticals anyway as we don’t know if this guy would be a fifth or sixth option on receiver, he may be better he may be worse. You’re also right that there may not be other prospects currently interested. I wouldn’t make a habit out of making a fifth or sixth receiver a portal go to as one I don’t think it helps team chemistry and two I don’t think you’re going to get much of a contribution.
Toure comes to mind, theres been at least one other.

JMPO, but I'd be taking extra bodies on the D-line. JUCO DL Taylor Lewis is currently the staffs Plan B if they miss out on Stephon Wynn.

I'm firmly in the camp that they should take both if they can, especially since both have multiple years of eligibility left. Even with Mathis and Drew, that position is probably the thinnest on the team. Take Wynn and Lewis and add depth and competition to that spot.

If there's more attrition to the WR room, you can scheme around that on offense better than you can compensate for a thin D-line. You can also restock a receiver room faster than a D-line. LOS guys on both sides of the ball need at least two years to really get ready. Ideally, you don't want to be playing a lineman until their 3rd year. You can find RBs and WRs that can contribute as true frosh. Mickey Joseph is gonna stockpile his room.

Even if you bring in 3-4 guys on the D-line the 2023 class and all of them are four-star guys, they aren't gonna be ready till 2025. Get guys through the portal and JUCO ranks to plug in while you replenish a really thin room. JMPO.

JMPO, but I'd be taking extra bodies on the D-line. JUCO DL Taylor Lewis is currently the staffs Plan B if they miss out on Stephon Wynn.

I'm firmly in the camp that they should take both if they can, especially since both have multiple years of eligibility left. Even with Mathis and Drew, that position is probably the thinnest on the team. Take Wynn and Lewis and add depth and competition to that spot.

If there's more attrition to the WR room, you can scheme around that on offense better than you can compensate for a thin D-line. You can also restock a receiver room faster than a D-line. LOS guys on both sides of the ball need at least two years to really get ready. Ideally, you don't want to be playing a lineman until their 3rd year. You can find RBs and WRs that can contribute as true frosh. Mickey Joseph is gonna stockpile his room.

Even if you bring in 3-4 guys on the D-line the 2023 class and all of them are four-star guys, they aren't gonna be ready till 2025. Get guys through the portal and JUCO ranks to plug in while you replenish a really thin room. JMPO.
You CAN scheme around that, but it looks like 4wide IS the scheme
Or so much of it making higher numbers a need

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back