• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Many of us may not have realized Nebraska has a Men's basketball team

Awwww, so the lack of logically response to my post causes you to result to name calling........:lol: How cute. A wacko.....I've been called worse by pre-teen boys whom I refused to allow have a rest room break before a test.....Step your game and maturity up homie.

And who cares if Dawson would have changed the game. No one denies that, but regardless of anything you are using to belittle the win with, that Spartan squad is still far more superior in talent over the Huskers without him. Even without Dawson, that team wins 8 times out of ten on a neutral court. Just so happens they lost this one at home vs a team that wasn't suppose to accomplish much of anything. Are you suggesting that without Dawson, MSU is the worst team in the conference, because that's exactly what the Huskers were predicted to be this season, while they had everyone healthy and before losing Deverell Biggs whom contributed 9.9 points off the bench for 15 games. Upsets are big wins for the program who gets the win column. And to a program that has accomplished nothing in it's history, beating a team that consistently is amongst the top programs every season, defeating them on their home court is a GREAT win even if they are missing a star player. It's stupid to suggest that without Dawson then the MSU squad is equal or a worse team than the Huskers (on paper). That day, the Huskers were a better team.

The Huskers have never been a dynamic scoring team all season. So you stressing that they only shot 36% for the game means next to nothing. They average 42% on the season. MSU stat is 47% from the field on the season, yet, they were held to 32% for that game. Where's your logic that they played better defense than Nebraska? Oh, YOU are the only one in the nation who thinks MSU missing shots had nothing to do with Nebraska having 5 players on the court. I'm not sure how Izzo can call the huskers junkyard dogs and his players were wide open more times than not........yet, but I'm the "wacko" right?...:rolleyes:

Here's the funny thing about your "MSU missing wide open shots" philosophy. Of their 50 shots taken inside the 3 pt line, 33 of them failed to go in. And of that 33 team failed attempts, 24 of them were 15 ft or closer to the rim. You mind explaining where exactly the Husker defenders were, because obviously many of those shots must have been wide open mishaps by the Spartans. How does Izzo call that type of defense a junkyard dog type performance? What was he thinking?:rolleyes:

Tell you what, I'll start smoking what ever it is you keep promoting as soon as you make that call to East Lansing and inform Coach on what he obviously was missing because he was way to complimentary of the Huskers that game.

:lol: Sorry, to see someone call another person a "wacko" makes me think of Napoleon Dynamite type individuals. It's comedy that someone would think that type of name calling is effective in some sort. Thanks for the laugh. It's almost as funny as your overall style of posting.

HRD, thank you for trying to help me realize the error of my ways. But to be honest, I am not much interested in getting help from you. Psychiatrists never seek counseling from folks they perceive as wackos, and neither do I.

But, I am glad you are having fun. I am glad that you were elated by the win over MSU. Myself, I thought NU played much better against Purdue than they did against MSU, but NU always plays better at home than they do on the road. Gotta Thank TO for getting the Pinnacle arena built. It has become a great venue for Husker BB.

So, NU is on the road against Illinois on Wednesday. I hope they can play like the home team this time. They are gaining confidence with each win. The road win against MSU should help their confidence against Illinois. This 5-game run the Huskers are on, and the fact that they still have a shot at making the big dance is making things very interesting right now. I have never been this excited about husker men's BB.

Last edited:

HRD, thank you for trying to help me realize the error of my ways. But to be honest, I am not much interested in getting help from you. Psychiatrists never seek counseling from folks they perceive as wackos, and neither do I.

But, I am glad you are having fun. I am glad that you were elated by the win over MSU. Myself, I thought NU played much better against Purdue than they did against MSU, but NU always plays better at home than they do on the road. Gotta Thank TO for getting the Pinnacle arena built. It has become a great venue for Husker BB.

So, NU is on the road against Illinois on Wednesday. I hope they can play like the home team this time. They are gaining confidence with each win. The road win against MSU should help their confidence against Illinois. This 5-game run the Huskers are on, and the fact that they still have a shot at making the big dance is making things very interesting right now. I have never been this excited about husker men's BB.

Oh.....you're still here........

Now you are a psychiatrists? That's even funnier. A psychiatrists that has trouble with logic, comprehension, avoids the facts asked of him throughout a conversation, makes suggestions to "go smoke something", & results to name calling when he can find a rebuttal to a post......Yea, I find that hard to believe. But ok.

The internet gives a man the ability to be whatever they want. This "wacko" won't take that right from you......:lol:

This is my first post....long time Husker fan.....not just a football fan. MBB season ticket holders and think that coach Tim Miles should be voted B1G coach of the year.....as to that great road win, the Huskers played better than MSU.....period. It was a great win for Nebraska basketball.

Last edited:
Oh.....you're still here........

Now you are a psychiatrists? That's even funnier. A psychiatrists that has trouble with logic, comprehension, avoids the facts asked of him throughout a conversation, makes suggestions to "go smoke something", & results to name calling when he can find a rebuttal to a post......Yea, I find that hard to believe. But ok.

The internet gives a man the ability to be whatever they want. This "wacko" won't take that right from you......:lol:

:deadhorse:

Same Ol Same Ol. HRD you never give up do you? You would carry this conversation on for weeks if I allowed it. That's your MO.

Look if you want to view it as a great win that is fine with me. You have presented your reasons but you are not going to sway me. Why can't you just accept that?

It's time to move on to something else. You are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill...and that's wacko.

As much as you enjoy arguing and presenting a case, I think you would enjoy being a lawyer.

I said earlier in the thread that the MSU win would only qualify as "great" if NU didn't proceed to crap the bed. They've done the exact opposite and have spanked the last 2 opponents. If the MSU win is the catalyst that helps propel NU into the tourney then it most definitely will be a "great win". And if NU does make the tourney I don't think there's any other way to look at the MSU game other than the proverbial "turning point".

Personally I don't think MSU is all that great a team...they are proving that. But that doesn't change what it could end up meaning to NU. And I've been consistent with that message throughout this thread. My comments were not meant to "belittle" NU's win. Only to show that "great wins" don't mean squat if you fold after them.

Sorry, I did not see this post yesterday. I see your point. If NU wins out, you could view the MSU win as the great turning point in the season. I'll buy that. I never denied that the MSU win was a big win. It was. But I think MSU played down to our level more than we played up to theirs, and that is why I was unable to view it as a great win. Neither team was playing great BB that day (IMO).

It was a big win because NU rarely wins against programs like MSU's, because they were ranked in the top ten, because they supposedly have a deep and talented roster, and especially because NU has been woeful on the road this year. I have no problem calling it a big win....meaning it was a significant win for our BB program. But a big win is not the same as a great win (for me). I think a prerequisite for a great win is a great performance, and the MSU/NU game did not have that quality (IMHO).

So if NU wins out for the regular season, one could assume the MSU win was a catalyst for that run, and that could be true....which would make the MSU win even bigger than it already is. But another factor that could have caused the turn around was the release of Biggs from the team. Izzo said by releasing the bad egg, you had addition by subtraction. The team is happier now, they are having more fun playing together, and that could be the primary reason they are playing so well right now.

The MSU win certainly had to be a confidence booster, more so than beating most teams, so I certainly view it as a very good win and as a big win...but I can't bring myself to the point where I would call it a great win. I have watched countless NCAA men's BB tournaments and I have seen many great teams playing great games and getting great wins. The MSU/NU game did not resemble a great game between two great teams....therefore I did not see a great win in that game. Others did see a great win due to the fact that NU men's BB has been in the sewer for so long, and the win could be labeled as "great" using that criteria. But that is not the criteria I use to define a great win. To me a great win requires a great performance.

1962 was Bob Devaney's 1st year as the Husker HC. He went to the Big House in Ann Arbor and beat mighty Michigan. Michigan's reputation in football at that time was greater than MSU reputation in men's BB is now. When NU won that football game, Husker Land was ecstatic. The lowly Huskers had beaten mighty Michigan! Everyone certainly viewed it as a great win. Well, the 1962 Michigan football team finished last in the BIG Ten that year. Their season record ended up being 2 wins and 7 losses. Was it really a great win? Some would say it was, others would say it wasn't.

When Minnesota beat the mighty Big Red in football last year, I suppose many Minnesota fans viewed it as a great win due to our reputation. But if you ask a Husker fan about that game, they would say to the Minnesota fans have nothing to celebrate because we were playing with a handicapped QB and a defense that was not ready for prime time.

Beating MSU was a big win for our program, but they are a 4 win 5 loss team without Dawson in their line-up, and they did not play with much energy and resolve against us. I did not view it as a great win, but I am not the only judge or the final judge. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and my opinion is no more valuable than anybody else's....but I offered my opinion because it seemed that nobody else had the same view as me, and I wanted to test the waters to see how others viewed the game.

Bilsker, you seemed to be the only one that shared my view to some degree. I think we are in the minority. This thread has stirred up a lot of people and produced a lot of comments. I think they best way to end it is with a poll. Let the masses be heard. If there is a clear majority that views it as a "great" win, then I guess we ought to "officially" view it as a great win.

Last edited:
This is my first post....long time Husker fan.....not just a football fan. MBB season ticket holders and think that coach Tim Miles should be voted B1G coach of the year.....as to that great road win, the Huskers played better than MSU.....period. It was a great win for Nebraska basketball.

Welcome to the board gr8. Nice first post. Simple and straight to the point.

:deadhorse:

Same Ol Same Ol. HRD you never give up do you? You would carry this conversation on for weeks if I allowed it. That's your MO.

Look if you want to view it as a great win that is fine with me. You have presented your reasons but you are not going to sway me. Why can't you just accept that?

It's time to move on to something else. You are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill...and that's wacko.

As much as you enjoy arguing and presenting a case, I think you would enjoy being a lawyer.

Here you go:

I feel it is necessary that someone wake up all the kool-aid drinkers to reality. I seem to be the only one who is willing to do that. It was just one game. The Michigan game still resonates with me.

Again, so tell me who is trying to sway who. We on this board stated how WE felt about the win in East Lansing and you came to the conversation crying about what happened in Ann Arbor. Stated your opinion, which is fine, but tried to pass it off as fact as if no one but you really understand what happened in that game. I've given you facts (if I was a lawyer that's what would have ended your case a long time ago) but you rebuttal with another ignorant opinion or just ignore the fact all together. Obviously, I got under your skin because you resulted to name calling and yet still having given one FACT as to why everyone else in the thread is wrong and you are right. Fact is, you though you was going to jump in a conversation and set people straight and ended making an ass out of yourself because you made little to no sense while comparing it to great teams of FOOTBALL past and knowing little about the current two teams of BASKETBALL that you were tearing down (NU) and building up (MSU).

My MO is to hold a conversation that's relevant to the title. Your MO.....I have no idea as you aren't important enough to me to pay attention to what you do in everything. But I have notice you rant about a bunch of things you have little to no understanding about even when facts are presented to help your ignorance on the subject.

Time to move on? I think you need to state that in the mirror in regards to the Michigan game. Your emotions over than lost has caused you to dwell in ignorance over everything else this Husker squad has done since.

And I wouldn't enjoy being a lawyer. This isn't an appropriate board to discuss my opinions on the justice system.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back